Heretics of Tarantia - Cult of Asura

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Heretics of Tarantia - Cult of Asura

Postby Voltumna » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

I am a player that has a cultist of Asura character. We haven't played HoT in our group yet, but I understand the cult plays an important part in Heretics. Is the cult described in any way in the book? I am looking for sources that flesh out the cult in order to suggest our GM reading those.
Who dies first?
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04 am

There's some info in the Aquilonia sourcebook, but you'll get more in Faith and Fervour where the cult is given more details.
I talk to planets, baby.
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks Herve. I have read F&F, but this describes the religions in general. My question is more to know if there are cult characters or locations described in the HoT. I know there is Hadrathus in Skrolls of Skelos, but I am just looking for anything there might be in the supplements to expand on the Asuran cult.
Who dies first?
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:06 am

No, Heretics of Tarantia doesn't give any new information about the Cult. It's a nice adventure anyway, and it includes a map of Tarantia , like Tower of the Elephant held Arenjun Map(Yes, town maps in a Mongoose book, would you believe that?! :wink: ).
I talk to planets, baby.
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks Herve.
Who dies first?
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Voltumna,

If you're looking for info on the cult of Asura, I advise you a search on this forum because Vincent offered us a great cult write-up in one of his threads.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
decker423
Mongoose

Re: Heretics of Tarantia - Cult of Asura

Postby decker423 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Voltumna wrote:I am a player that has a cultist of Asura character. We haven't played HoT in our group yet, but I understand the cult plays an important part in Heretics. Is the cult described in any way in the book? I am looking for sources that flesh out the cult in order to suggest our GM reading those.
The Hour of the Dragon by R.E. Howard has some info on the Asura cult. Good story and quite a bit of info on the cult and its capabilities. Hope this post isn't too late.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 pm

There's a bunch of references to Conan's universe on the net. Do a Google. You'll run into stuff about Asura from the Conan stories...from the Conan comics...from the various Conan rpgs...from the MMO game, Age of Conan.

There's plenty of stuff out there.

On the first attempt at Google, I found this:

Asura - Hyborian god, possibly a god of Zoroastrian religion. He is worshipped in secrecy in Aquilonia during the Hyborian era. Rivaled by the god Mitra and the Stygian serpent-god Set, and only worshiped by a small number of devoted servants.

Most Vendhyans worship Asura. He teaches that life is illusory and the only final truth comes after death, in the light of the soul. The cult will devote itself to "penetrating the veil of illusion of life".

According to his priests, Asura has no true form, but is a part of all cosmos. When the god wishes to send messages to his followers, he does so by the reincarnation-birth of an exceptional mortal.

Asura's doctrines reveal that all beings reincarnate, and that the purpose of life is the paying of the karmic debt against the soul. Each evil act extends the cycle of reincarnation; each good act shortens it. The people who suffer earned their trials in previous lives; they are not to be pitied.

Some priests of Asura wander the land as beggar-priests, while others are members of the upper caste of Vendhyan society, the Brahma are scholars and rulers. Everyone participates in rituals of meditation and purification, including ritual baths in the holy rivers of Vendhya.

The priests command the lowest caste, the Untouchables. During cremation ceremonies, where the dead are burned to dust on great funereal pyres, their ashes are blessed and spread on the winds. Anyone not properly cremated may wander the earth as undead.