What your favorite Conan story?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Conan says that by the time he was 15 his name was 'repeated about the campfires' to m that smack of considerably more than 'potential', more that men were recounting his deeds. And he'd gained even more experience by the time he fought with the Aesir, youth though he still was. 6th level seems to me to be a realistic estimate. Just because he's inexperienced in the ways of civilisation doesn't mean he's low level. Nothing in Frost Giant's Daughter suggests inexperience on Conan's part - because he isn't.
I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm

We also have to consider exactly what a 'frost giant' is in Hyborian terms.
According to the Bestiary of the Hyborian Age, Frost Giants are 10 HD monsters, with a DR of 4, 105 Hps and a Fort save of +16. They attack at +16/+11 for 2D10+12 damage, AP12. Quite tough critters...
I talk to planets, baby.
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:35 pm

And according to some Conan is 3rd level when (or just after) he reaches Zamora...

I suspect the Frost Giant creator was perhaps thinking a little too much D&D. Or maybe he had a high level Conan in mind.
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:09 pm

But you could take a "Frost" Gian kin too

Far less dangerous
Kill your ennemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:11 pm

BTW someone know if Thaug stats from Xuthal of the dusk are somewhere?
Kill your ennemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Signs & Portents #29 contains complete information on Xuthal, including Thaug's stats. It's downloadable freely from Mongoose site, here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/ ... sSeries=13

Be sure to check the other issues, most of them holding nice Conan ressources. You'll find a complete index of Conan related stuff in S&P in Strom's sticky at the top of this forum.
I talk to planets, baby.
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Boy has this thread has derailed!!!!!!!!! But please lets not dis on L. Sprague DeCamp. His stories were not bad at all. I thought he did a great job of "converting" other Howard stories into Conan. I thought Hawks over Shem to be pretty good. And the Hall of the Dead was entertaining. I loved The Castle of Terror. That story, to me, was the best non-Howard Conan story. I can still read that story over and over again. :)

On a side note, without L. Sprague DeCamp there might have never been a Conan resurgence.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Black Colossus is my favourite, followed by Maneaters of Zamboula. 8)
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 pm

I aggree with Cbrunish. I think REH original story are better but other story by the Camp are quite good

I like the one can't remember the title but Conan is in the Desert and he came by a strange city who sacrifice poeple to a demon-girl and Conan slay it it was a good read.

Thanks Hervé :)
Style
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Style » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:33 am

Proud member of the Sandbox GMs' club:
Building Golden Bridges, one game at a time.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:58 am

Yeah, thanks for posting those links Style, you beat me to the punch. L Sprague de Camp was a tool that exploited REH's name and works and even helped bar Frank Frazetta from legally using the name "Conan" for the paintings used on the book covers. :evil:
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:25 am

Ok, that was very interesting. And I do admit that most of DeCamp's stories by themselves were not top quality. He did a better job turning REH non-Conan stories into Conan stories. But he does sound like an idiot.

All I can say is the Conan stories were and are (IMO) some of the best fantasy stories every written!!! :D
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 am

well I guess that good to know ...
Style
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Style » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:44 pm

flatscan wrote:Yeah, thanks for posting those links Style, you beat me to the punch. L Sprague de Camp was a tool that exploited REH's name and works and even helped bar Frank Frazetta from legally using the name "Conan" for the paintings used on the book covers. :evil:
The Lancer version of Conan would live on for more than a decade. Ace eventually let the series go out of print in the late 1980s as sales dwindled and interest faded. CPI was more interested in pushing a new generation of pastiches from Tor starting with Robert Jordan. Robert E. Howard faded away as a new Tor Conan novel came out every few months for over a decade. The majority of these novels are held in poor regard by aficionados of sword and sorcery fiction. Worse—Baen Books wanted to reprint the Robert E. Howard Conan stories with no pastiche stories inserted. L. Sprague de Camp vetoed that idea. He kept Robert E. Howard out of print for a decade by his actions.
http://www.rehupa.com/?p=272

De Camp is a villain in the legacy of REH and Conan, not a hero.
Proud member of the Sandbox GMs' club:
Building Golden Bridges, one game at a time.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:39 pm

On a side note, without L. Sprague DeCamp there might have never been a Conan resurgence.
We'd better thanks RoyThomas and Marvel comics. They've done alot more for the popularity of the character than LSdC ever did.
I talk to planets, baby.
treeplanter
Banded Mongoose

Postby treeplanter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Hey changing subject I checked Thog stat yesterday, and considering Mongoose-Conan is 12 level at this time (brb 9/soldier 1/Pirate1/Thief 1)

I don't think he can realisticly take down Thog at 44 hp... especialy since he is unarmored in this story...

maybe if he act first and go All-in on power attack dunno
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:16 pm

We're talking about the same guy who took two Frost Giants single handed some levels earlier, don't we?... :wink:

Anyway, the ridiculous low level of Massive Damage in Conan makes high Hps almost useless. A mid level fighter can trigger MD with every blow, making Initiative REALLY imporatant in the game...
I talk to planets, baby.
Demetrio
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Demetrio » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:26 pm

A mid level fighter can trigger MD with every blow
Claptrap.

A mid level fighter... say level 8, is that mid-level? Max str is likely to be 22, so +7. There's no way, with any weapon, that he can trigger MD on every blow, and with virtually all one handed weapons he'll need a critical. It's wild statements like the above that undermine the credibility of your arguments.

There are issues with MD and there is a thread dedicated to talking round those difficulties. They're not insurmountable.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Hervé wrote:Anyway, the ridiculous low level of Massive Damage in Conan makes high Hps almost useless. A mid level fighter can trigger MD with every blow, making Initiative REALLY imporatant in the game...
And having a good Fortitude save. I love the lower MD threshold in Conan d20. It makes fights go quicker at the mid to high level range and gives the PCs pause when they're fighting something big, mean, and ugly which can deal out damage as good as it takes it. Or better. :twisted:
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:28 pm

flatscan wrote:
Hervé wrote:Anyway, the ridiculous low level of Massive Damage in Conan makes high Hps almost useless. A mid level fighter can trigger MD with every blow, making Initiative REALLY imporatant in the game...
And having a good Fortitude save. I love the lower MD threshold in Conan d20. It makes fights go quicker at the mid to high level range and gives the PCs pause when they're fighting something big, mean, and ugly which can deal out damage as good as it takes it. Or better. :twisted:
Ohh crom, not anouther MD thread...
Sigh.