Choke???

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Choke???

Postby LucaCherstich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

I noticed that the old "Road of the kings" had this feat which does not appear in the Players Guide.
Does it mean that "Choke" has been officially "refused" in 2nd ed.?
sbarrie
Banded Mongoose

Postby sbarrie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 am

I thought it was changed to a Combat Maneuver, but I can't find it in the 2nd edition book.

I've always used it as a combat maneuver with the prerequisite of Improved Grapple. It seemed too weak to me, so maybe they eliminated it.
Scott
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:22 am

That was may favorite feat from RoK. Just as Sbarrie put it, I found it works better as a Combat Maneuver. I jokingly like to call it "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?".

Yes, it takes a bit to kill someone, but it VARY pulp - like Baal-Pteor from Conan or how Brock Samson held onto the neck of that young henchman in that one episode of Venture Bros. (poor kid :shock:).
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:59 am

MESSAGE TO MONGOOSE PEOPLE:
Can we see the "Choke" rules re-printed in any form (feat, maneuver, etc.)?
WIthout those rules it is impossible to mimic famous strangling scenes which are so typical in Conan stories (both original and not)!!!!!!!!!!
No Choke = no efficient Baal-Pteor!!!
Can we see these rules in this forum or in one of the S&P issues?
Alternatively, can we see them in the forthcoming "Warrior's Companion" ???
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 am

LucaCherstich wrote:MESSAGE TO MONGOOSE PEOPLE:
WIthout those rules it is impossible to mimic famous strangling scenes which are so typical in Conan stories (both original and not)!!!!!!!!!!
if an attack roll succeeds, save vs. Fort or be reduced to -1 hit points (and -1 per round). I suppose everyone could strangle everyone else, why would one need a feat?!
--------------------------------------------------
Williams and Holland law:
"Everything can be demonstrated by statistical methods if you have enough data"
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:50 am

Rabindranath72, you version seem more efficient and quicker than normal choke!
I think I wrongly expressed my questions (this is not my mothertongue) I just wanted to know why "Normal stuff" like choke has been erased while "Exagerated stuff" like Explosive Power was still printed in the Players Guide.
Is it an error?
And, furthermore, if it is not an error, what are the official rules for Choking/Strangling somebody?
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Choke is a combat maneuver in Hyboria's Fiercest, page 74. I didn't reprint it as a 2e feat in the Player's Guide because I felt it worked better as a combat maneuver.

I meant to delete Explosive Power, but overlooked it unfortunately.
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Thank you, Vincent!
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 pm

VincentDarlage wrote:I meant to delete Explosive Power, but overlooked it unfortunately.
Wait, should Explosive Power not be an option then? The PCs in my game just leveled and one of them took this feat. :shock:
Games Running: The Nemedian Chronicles - Path of Wolves - Conan d20

Game Playing: The Hack Below - HackMaster 4e, Siege Weapons - Champions
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 pm

flatscan wrote:Wait, should Explosive Power not be an option then? The PCs in my game just leveled and one of them took this feat. :shock:
I have never had a player use it, but reports from here indicated it was way too powerful. My intention was to delete it based on those reports, but because none of my players ever used it (and because complaints about it disappeared over the years), I forgot it was a problem.

Try it out and see, I guess. I have no personal experience with the feat, (my players rarely use anything other than the core rules), but comments here lead me to believe it is universally considered too powerful. If your experience varies from that, please let me know!
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:12 pm

"Explosive Power" should not be a bad feat, but its requirements MUST be fixed.
This feat offer a lot of advantages for a single attack and you can do it every turn!
The only limit is that you can do just ONE attack.
However, among its requirement is "BAB +5".
With that BAB you have still Only ONE attack per round, so You will always use that feat each round!
On the other hand, if we change the requirement to BAB + 6 or more (I should say BAB +9) one have the alternative of using the Exlosive power OR the multiple attacks.
Stygian Devout
Stoat

Postby Stygian Devout » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 am

LucaCherstich wrote: The only limit is that you can do just ONE attack.
However, among its requirement is "BAB +5".
With that BAB you have still Only ONE attack per round, so You will always use that feat each round!
On the other hand, if we change the requirement to BAB + 6 or more (I should say BAB +9) one have the alternative of using the Exlosive power OR the multiple attacks.
That one attack is still a full-round action. So even at a BAB +5 the player still has to choose whether or not to forgo his move action to be able to use the feat. Also could be using 2 weapons which provide multiple attacks.

The feat as I see it is a little overpowered. One could really go to town with it using, say a pollaxe or other 2-handed weapon with x3 multiplier. I calculated it for a high-strength 6th level fighter and it was something like over 100pts if they use a fate point for max damage.