Book 7 just arrived!

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
wellparp
Cub

Book 7 just arrived!

Postby wellparp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I have just received book 7 and it looks great! Same perfect spine as book 5 and 6 and with the best cover illustration so far! (I really like when Lone Wolf himself is not in the center of the illustration as on the old Red Fox books). The bonus adventure features Tavig and is 127 sections long. I can't wait to get back into Kazan-Oud!
lord darkstorm
Weasel

Postby lord darkstorm » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Indeed, it's definitely the best mongoose cover to date, and up there with my favourite red forx cover(Book 5).
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
MiddleAgedFogey
Shrew

Postby MiddleAgedFogey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I'd agree with the cover art being the best yet (I've so far been unimpressed with Mongoose's covers - the maps do have good artwork but this is ruined by the printing being so dark).

Now for the fault finding - the Improved Disciplines section is present but lacking any description (enhancements to Animal Control, Curing, Huntmastery, Psi-Surge and Nexus should be detailed). Not a critical error but a big disappointment.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:29 pm

As mentioned in the summerized errata sticky - most of the book 7 faults in the game rules are because it is a re-print of book 6, only the names Elzian, Herdos, etc. are different.

The starting equipment, for example, is book 6's not 7 - you cannot get hold of Fireseeds or a Lantern at the start yet you are asked if you have them at 53, 348, etc. This is, I believe, is the first book where these items are available. I haven't read it yet so I could be wrong but the Red Fox version has these in the background.

Please Mongoose - don't release book 29 yet. Wait until we've got all these teething problems sorted: Walk before you run, I mean...
... (Spirit) WALK <Mentora Divination> BEFORE YOU RUN <Grand Guardian Huntmastery>
haskellpaul
Cub

Postby haskellpaul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Wow I'm surprised that some people don't like the new mongoose covers. In my opinion they are far superior to any of the other releases thus far. I personally LOVE Alberto Dal Lago's style.

The only problem I have is the one for book 6, simply because of it's poor layout in relation to the text, but not the actual illustration itself. It's funny that the focal point of it seems to be on the "monster's crotch" as some other poster had pointed out previously.

As for the current release of book 29, I'm all for it. I figure if they go ahead and release the last 4 now, then that'll give the good folks over at Aon more time to release revised copies of 19-28. Those revised copies will of course aid mongoose in thier new releases, as they have thus far.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm an old fuddy duddy set in my ways - nostalgia affects my judgement. I preferred Brian Williams and the Beaver covers but that's just me. The new art is more mature - I suspect to keep pace with now-mature readers - but then computer games, etc. are more bloodthirsty these days too. I guess Mongoose is just moving with the times. I can't draw anyway but I have to say the pictures look, to my mind, sketchy and unfinished. Still it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.
I'm just glad Lone Wolf is not just still going strong but going from strength to strength.
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Eternalknight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:40 am

My Book 7 turned up today as well; three days after Book 6 :D
elizzar
Weasel

Postby elizzar » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am

my book 7 was waiting at work for me, all shiny and nice ... as another poster said, though, somewhat annoyed the advanced 'primate' level magnakai abilities aren't described, was one of the things i really liked about books and felt it gave both background flavour, and a sense of achievement when reaching a new book ("oooo, look what i can do now ...") ... i wonder if some rushing to get books out has led to cut-and-paste related errors?
but at least the binding is much better now 8)
wellparp
Cub

Postby wellparp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 am

My 2 cents about the covers are:

1. I don't want LW to be seen too much. I am supposed to be him in the adventures...

2. In the first book LW is supposed to be a teenager but the cover illustration from the battle with the Gourgaz gives me the impression that LW is some kind of he-man in his thirties. I think this muscle thing is more eighties-like than modern.
Sommerswerd
Weasel

Postby Sommerswerd » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:40 pm

haskellpaul wrote:Wow I'm surprised that some people don't like the new mongoose covers. In my opinion they are far superior to any of the other releases thus far. I personally LOVE Alberto Dal Lago's style.
I absolutely adore the Gary Chalk covers... especially that one of book 1. When I think of Lone Wolf I think of this cover!

I wish someone would print a poster of this image, but alas, with the new artworks this won't be ever possible, I guess. :(
MiddleAgedFogey
Shrew

Postby MiddleAgedFogey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I felt that Brian Salmon's covers (the Beaver Books editions of Dungeons of Torgar, Prisoners of Time, The Masters of Darkness) were the best - striking, distinctive and above all, relevant to the adventure. The Cauldron of Fear (by Fred Gambino) is another of the same type, though he only appears to have done that one book in the series.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 am

I agree. My all time favourite, and mobile wallpaper, is Kingdoms of Terror with LW fighting Roarks undead on horseback.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:45 am

SnowShadow wrote: Please Mongoose - don't release book 29 yet. Wait until we've got all these teething problems sorted: Walk before you run, I mean...
... (Spirit) WALK <Mentora Divination> BEFORE YOU RUN <Grand Guardian Huntmastery>
I meant Scion-Kai not Mentora, sorry. :oops:
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, I've played through Book 7.

Just a few errors this time - one passage in complete bold text, couple of the numbering at the top of the pages wrong, but I can live with that - so no worries.

What happened to the "Improved Disiplinces" section? As this is now the 2nd Magnakai book they sould be there! It makes reference to them once in the adventure (such as Curing with Primate) so it should be there.

Please don't miss them out in the next book as this is a fundamental part of LW when it comes to choosing which skills to go for.
True Bull
Shrew

Postby True Bull » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:18 pm

WritingWolf wrote:Well, I've played through Book 7.

Just a few errors this time - one passage in complete bold text, couple of the numbering at the top of the pages wrong, but I can live with that - so no worries.

What happened to the "Improved Disiplinces" section? As this is now the 2nd Magnakai book they sould be there! It makes reference to them once in the adventure (such as Curing with Primate) so it should be there.

Please don't miss them out in the next book as this is a fundamental part of LW when it comes to choosing which skills to go for.

I always thought this was fairly straightforward. Weaponmastery & Huntmastery (+1CS)with one out of The Circle of Spirit initially. Then the next 3 from Spirit to get the +3CS boost just in time for a workout :o at the end of Book 9.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 am

I agree - Weaponmastery, Huntmastery, Nexus, Divination, Psi-Screen, Psi-Surge, Pathsmanship, Invisibility, Curing, Animal Control in that order: I think it was a Lone Wolf Newsletter that said you can still use Mindblast and Healing bonuses into Magnakai adventures. There are two REALLY hard fights - book 9 & 11, this should max your available CS/EP bonuses from the Lore Circles.

Has anyone found any FIRESEEDS yet in book 7? They weren't under Starting Equipment.
AguilaSaber
Stoat

Postby AguilaSaber » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 am

SnowShadow wrote:I agree - Weaponmastery, Huntmastery, Nexus, Divination, Psi-Screen, Psi-Surge, Pathsmanship, Invisibility, Curing, Animal Control in that order: I think it was a Lone Wolf Newsletter that said you can still use Mindblast and Healing bonuses into Magnakai adventures. There are two REALLY hard fights - book 9 & 11, this should max your available CS/EP bonuses from the Lore Circles.

Has anyone found any FIRESEEDS yet in book 7? They weren't under Starting Equipment.
I'd usually take:

Psi-screen, Divination and Nexus for Book 6. With the Sommerswerd and other bonuses from previous books you do not need any additional bonuses for that book.

Psi-Surge.

Curing is a very strong candidate for book 8. But I guess the Zakhan in Book 9 is a bit more dangerous than the Helghast in Book 8, so:

Weaponmastery

Huntmastery

Curing

Animal Control

Invisibility

Pathsmanship ( Last skill )

The Tracking and the Pathsmanship skill are always at the end of my skill list. After a few reads of the books they are not that helpful any more.

As for equipment. Alas the Start Equipment in Book 7 is the same as in Book 6 which is a very bad oversight, because some items like the Fireseeds (and probably also the Lantern) are only available in the equipment section in Book 7.
SnowShadow
Banded Mongoose

Postby SnowShadow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:54 pm

(Spoiler)

I go for Circles of Fire, Spirit, Solaris and Light - that extra +3 CS vs. Kimah and +1 CS vs. Chaos Master is vital. It's a pity because I prefer Weaponmastery, Huntmastery, Curing, Pathsmanship, Divination, Nexus, Psi-Surge, Psi-Screen, Invisibility, Animal Control in that order... I did it like this as a teen before using gamesmanship min/max-ing.
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:52 pm

I tend to go for the Circle of Fire and Solaris first, then the Spirit.

When I mean about saying what Disciplines to go for, I mean in terms of improvement - this section needs to be in there.
hawkytom
Stoat

Postby hawkytom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:05 pm

My book 7 arrived yesterday! Yay :)
Proud MEGA-DEAL Customer!
-Currently have Book 1-17.
-Glory&Greed
-The Dragons of Lencia
(California Resident [USA])