Best source material for B5 game?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Best source material for B5 game?

Postby crazy_cat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm looking forward to the B5 Traveller book as I've never really liked any D20 variant as a system for a SF game (that's just a personal preference)

Anyways, enough introductory stuff. What, if anything, from teh Mongoose B5 range would you recommend as good background material for fluff rater than crunch?

Beyond any Mongoose books what else would you recommend as good overall campaign background materials? Yes, before anyone mentions it I have the complete DVD set.

If it makes any difference I'm most interested in the time period covered by series 1-3.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Valarian
Banded Mongoose

Postby Valarian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 pm

There's a chronology book coming out, which has been mentioned in some other threads recently: http://www.cafepress.com/thejoestore

Online websites are another good resource.
I've bought books from the 1st edition (not usable with 2nd edition) for background such as Psi-Corp and Technomages. I've heard good things about the First Ones book, but I've not bought that as yet.
The Pak'mara book is a good resource for that race, some system stats but also a good background book.
The Drakh book is excellent, again some stats but a lot of detail regarding the race and their relationship with the Shadows.
The Galactic Guide is system neutral, definitely worth getting.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games
tzunder
Stoat

Postby tzunder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 pm

I also am keen to understand which of the Mongoose B5 OGL books (either edition) deliver a core structure for the B5 setting and the timelines.

I am NOT interested in lots of rules or stats, just core useable material by any system.

Any chance of a thumbnail guide from some of you B5 rpg old hands?

(Yes, I have all the DVDs..)
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 am

The Galactic Guide would be useful to you, info on a lot of planets and systems, 98% or more rules neutral.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'core structure'.

The first and second edition rule books both have an overview of the B5 universe, as well as a GM section on running games in that universe. The first edition rules is set firmly in season 1 (2258) and doesn't detail events after that. Second edition rules is a little bit broader in scope, but doesn't expand much beyond season 2 (2259). The first edition season books expand the events of later seasons in greater detail.

The Earthforce sourcebook has details of running an Earthforce campiagn, as well as an actual short campaign.

The Crusade book has material on running campaigns in the Crusade era.

Actual campiagns: first edition Fiery Trial and Into the Crucible. Second edition The Ragged Edge (with Cold Equations).

I hope that helps.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral