A Trial by His Peers

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
shalazar_bation
Mongoose

Postby shalazar_bation » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:45 am

So you admit to premeditation of Zar'lorn's murder? He asked to carry your luggage and you interpret this as a deceptive threat? Such a threat, at that, that you deem it necessary to prepare you weapon in order to murder Zar'lorn.
Again wrong... man did you eat paint chips when you were a pouchling? In my buisness, I can't be too carefull. I never said I was going to kill him. And quite frankly had every intention of letting him go. But again, he told me to kill him. I saved his honor!
He decieved you. He played along with your assumption that he needed a password so he could use you to get closer to Gem'toth. There is nothing threatening to your person in this act. Nothing whatsoever.
And were are you from? Thats what I would tell every child in school :roll: :

"if someone lies to you to get you to go with them, then great! it's ok, just go with them... I'm sure they have no bad intentions, I'm sure they don't want to hurt you, I'm sure they just want to be your friend, thats why they lied to you!" :roll:

I can see the poster now on the walls of every school building... wait, did you not go to school, is that why your such an idiot?
Instead, you admit to preparation towards the murder of Zar'lorn with even less reason to do so .... other than you were lied to.
Wrong again... I admit to protecting myself verses an obviously armed Narn.. I'm just a computer geek for cripes sake!
I am glad I have the good sense to see that you are not representative of the entire human species. You are scum beneath scum and a treacherous scum at that. You are so violent, paranoid and inclined towards arrogance that you seem to truly believe your words to be of divine providence.
I am glad I have the good sense to see that you are not representative of the entire Narn species. You are an idiot above all other idiots and a complete morron at that. You are so ignorant of your own races customs, paranoid and inclined towards arrogance that you seem to truly believe your opinion to be correct.
I was asked to come here to cast my vote to your guilt or innocenece. I must truly and wholey say that you are in fact guilty,
fair enough! the only thing i don't have a problem with.
and if your human law provides for yor excecution, the injustice is that the Lorn family will not have the satisfaction of seeing you kept alive while your flesh is stripped from your bones one inch at a time should that verdict come to fruition...
Your a little angry Narn arn't you? Whats amatter? your Centauri wet nurse not been around lattly? Maybe your Centauri father has been gone longer than he should have been? either way, I hope they kill me so I don't have to listen to your sorry excuse for a Narn's mouth anymore!

(PS-Shalazar
testomony of the GODS)

Is the player not the charecter... and yes, I am inclined towards arrogance that I truly know my words to be of divine providence. :twisted:

Shalazar
I'm going to hell!
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:13 pm

My closing arguement:

Gem'toth is a citizen of the Narn Regime. She has a Narn father, she was a slave of the Centauri, she freed Narn citizens from the Centauri. She clearly deserves the full protection of Narn Law.

Zar'lorn is on a Chon'kar against Gem'toth. He was clearly attempting to decieve Max to get closer to Gem'toth. As all Narn know, the only way to stop Zar'lorn from killing Gem'toth would be to kill him.

Max is employed by Gem'toth for security. He is fully aware of Narn customs, having served aboard a Narn vessel. He knew that the only way to stop Zar'lorn was to kill him. He freely admits to killing him, knowing that he was, in fact, carrying out his duty.

You may say that Max is human, and therefore not entitled to the protection of Narn Law. But consider this, Max was carrying out his duty to protect a Narn citizen. And G'kar, a member of the esteemed First Circle of the Kha'ri, has come to to his defence. We do not know why one of the greatest among us speaks for this man, but it is quite clear that Max is no ordinary human, but one who has acted for the good of the Regime in the past.

I suggest, no demand, that Max should be given the same courtesies as would any Narn in his position.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, your honour, Max must be found NOT GUILTY.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:27 pm

Let's keep things civil folks.

After all, this is a Narn court of law. :D

Is there a way to put a poll on this thread or do we need to post the poll separately?

I'd use the catigories listed in an eariler post on this thread which is being used in our PBEM group.

Sidney
shalazar_bation
Mongoose

Postby shalazar_bation » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:01 pm

ok, just so everyone knows, sutek is in charecter, so I went into charecter, sutek and I have talked in PM and we have clarefied this... I hope no one else has taken the insults to hart, this was just max slinging at random Narn juyor and a random juyor voicing his opinion.

Please do not take these past posts the wrong way.

Shalazar
Not Max Wolf... :wink:
Sutek
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Sutek » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:20 pm

El Cid wrote:Let's keep things civil folks.

After all, this is a Narn court of law. :D
I have to say that sounds like a contradiction in terms...lol

Yeah...totally just me posting in character here folks. Think of a pre-enlightened G'kar - he never tolerated anyone but other Narns and he only despised humans slightly less than the Minbari, who he despised only slightly less than the Centauri. :lol:

However, even out of character, a PPG to the back of a dude's head...not exactly a strong case for self defense or upholding Narn honour. :P
AE Errata Thread
"Occam's razor makes the cutting clean..."
baronkalidor
Cub

Postby baronkalidor » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:39 pm

Looks innocent to me, but thats just my opinion.

Baron Kalidor
Rouke of HOW
Cub

Postby Rouke of HOW » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:43 pm

INNOCENT OF ALL CRIMES!!!!

Juror #69
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:30 am

Somehow, I don't think you last to posters are real.

:D

Sidney
Sutek
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Sutek » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:38 pm

SO...is ther a verdict yet?
AE Errata Thread
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:00 pm

The verdict is suspect if you look at the previous posts by Newbees and the poll.

Is there any way to see who voted in a poll?

Sidney
redlaco
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby redlaco » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:17 pm

My guess is Shalazar enlisted some friends to even the odds in his favor...
:twisted:
"Knowledge is what makes the difference between the world you want, and the world other people think you should have." -- JMS
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby frobisher » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:03 pm

El Cid wrote:The verdict is suspect if you look at the previous posts by Newbees and the poll.

Is there any way to see who voted in a poll?
Dunno... It would be easy enough to "even out" the poll, not that I'm suggesting anything to those that care enough...
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
Sutek
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Sutek » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:33 pm

Well, then a jury or tribunal needs to be picked instead through a screening process. No ammount of voting should outweigh the evidence.

The Narn experessed that he'd rather be killed than give up on the blood oath. According to testimony, Max was not threatened during this and in fact was told that he need not be involved at all.

Max shot him in the back of the head, stole his personal effects, placed the body in a humiliating position by any culture and mutilatied the corpse. As a minor offense, he vandalized the inner surface of the stall door. (lol).

Murder 2 (Second Degree Murder) according to Earth law is a crime of passion where the accused acted in an emotional outburst and may have other wise not killed. It is opportuinistic in nature. Max prepared and better concealed his PPG before enterin gthe public restroom. This is circumstantial, but evidence of premeditiation of intent none the less. Max is also clearly a violent and antagonistic personality by virtue of his comments made "defending himself" in the forum. Beligerence is usually not a good way to make one's self seem more innocent. Regardless, under Earth law, Max woul dbe subject to First Degree Murder with Premeditation, and by his own verbal admission at that.

The complication is that he claims to have had little choice given Narn ethics regarding the blood oath. His victim woul dsurely have made further attempots to kill Max's employer, true, but did he have no other choice but to kill the Narn? Max's own life was not threatened, but his livelyhood was - hardly justification for murder. The Narn victim was indeed heavily armed and this fact alone may have given rise to Max's interpretation of threat, or more accurately his feeling that he had no choice but to kill or be killed. However, by Max's own statements, the Narn victim said that he meant Max no harm. He did suggest that Max kill him, but not in a manner consistent with an individual seeking freedom from the Blood Oath - an unthinkable prospect for a Narn, especially given the circumstances in which the victim's oath was taken up.

As an after thought, sentencing shoul dbe separate from conviction. Determine guilt first with no preconception of punishment.
AE Errata Thread
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:04 pm

This is what the results were in the PBEM group.

From the current votes:

Guilty of murder
- Death penalty 1 7.14%
– Life in jail 1 7.14%

Second Degree Murder
– 20 years in jail 2 14.29%

Unauthorized use of a lethal weapon
– 5,000 credit fine 2 14.29%

Theft of the Ka'Toc and/or PPG
– 2 years in jail 3 21.43%
– Restitution of
property to family 3 21.43%

Not Guilty
of All Charges 1 7.14%

I have removed Max's player's vote.

My own vote would have been for Guilty of murder - Death penalty
since the killing was done after the victim told Max that he would
trouble him no more and hadn't directly threatened Max in addition
there were Narn security officers who could have been requested to
assist in the "legal" thing to do in Narn space.

Max may post his reactions to the Narn proceedings which I will give
a summary of below:

The trial is held quickly but then delayed as depositions were
requested from various people including G'Kar.

Max found that being in a Narn prison, you were expected to provide
your own food and other necessities. Gem quickly made sure that these
were provided for Max as he was in her employ and thus she had a
certain degree of responsibility.

Max's fellow prisoners were mainly Narns who enjoyed playing "beat up
the human."

This stopped after a couple of very brutal days when a few of Max's
tormentors suddenly became his protectors. "You are very lucky human
to have wealthy friends. My friends and I are being paid to protect
you." This was taken care of by Gem.

The "court" convened and allowed Max to present his defense. After
the prosecution presented the physical evidence (NOTE: Defense goes
first followed by the prosecution in Narn courts.) including the vids
and witnesses, the court retired to decide its verdict.

This took less than 30 minutes and Max was found guilty on all
charges.

Guilty of murder - Life in jail.

Unauthorized use of a lethal weapon – 5,000 credit fine.

Theft of the Ka'Toc and PPG – 2 years in jail and restitution of the
property to family.

To Be Continued
redlaco
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby redlaco » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:11 pm

It's good to see justice served, by G'Quan ! :P :twisted:
May this evil human troubles the Narn population no more...
"Knowledge is what makes the difference between the world you want, and the world other people think you should have." -- JMS
Rouke of HOW
Cub

Postby Rouke of HOW » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:07 pm

Somehow, I don't think you last to posters are real.
I assure you I am real!

But yes I am a friend of Shalazar's but I still think he was in the right.

I am entitled to my opinion.. arn't I?

G'Kar said he thought Max was innocent, so does he get any slack for it?
redlaco
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby redlaco » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:23 pm

As a friend of the accused, you would not get to vote in a jury, as you have a bias favorable to a non-guilty verdict. :wink:

Sorry.
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:29 pm

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Just as I as GM and judge are entitled to mine.

:D

Sidney