Trial of Blood??? Who's Blood? Which Blood? My Blood?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Trial of Blood??? Who's Blood? Which Blood? My Blood?

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:59 pm

As I prepare to kick off my Conan campaign, I'm searching for an adventure to run. Since I haven't run a d20 game in 15+ years, I'm extremely rusty with the most complicated rpg system ever created.

So, I thought I'd pick a simple, low level adventure to kick off the campaign. But, then, I saw that Trial of Blood is coming out.

It sounds like a mega-campaign (reminding me of the old Temple of Elemental Evil mega-campaign for AD&D 2E). One where characters start off at first level and end the campaign around 12th or 15th or so.

So...

I need more details on Trial of Blood.

What's it going to be like?

Where's it set? Aquilonia only? Or, other parts of Hyboria?

What level range?

What can I expect from this product?

The blurb on the product page is light on the details. Anybody know more than what is written there?
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:11 pm

At the height of King Conan’s reign, when he and his queen had blessed the world with a son and the kingdoms of Hyboria were separated by thin lines of tension and borders that were fragile as glass, there existed a prophecy. The prophecy spoke of the Blood of Atlantis, the true blood of the rulers of the world, which would flow in the veins of a young girl, who would give the fallen continent of Atlantis an heir – an heir that would unseat all the kings of men.

King Conan’s enemies had begun gathering all of the girls who match the prophecy, preparing the one to bear the child that would call up the forces of Atlantis to sack Tarantia and end Conan’s reign once and for all.

Trial of Blood is the first mega-campaign for the Conan Roleplaying Game Second Edition, placing a group of young adventurers in the path of prophecy and potentially disastrous events that could change Hyboria forever. Taking the characters from their roots as young men and women and hurling them through a series of linked scenarios that will pit them ultimately against the fate of Hyboria itself.

Can your group of unlikely heroes possibly change the verdict of the Trial of Blood and save King Conan?

Here's a quote from Bry on the Mongoose blog:
Well, work is steadily going into the Trial of Blood and I am thusfar pretty satisfied with how it is shaping up. Originally I wanted the mega-campaign to take the PCs from 1st to like 15th level, leaving some room for growth afterwards (and perhaps sequal potential!), but with the way the book is going and how it is progressing in the terms of expected experience gains...it looks like this might be a trip from 1st to 12th level instead.

Knowing who/what the big bad guy is/are, I think that is going to be closer to the realistic style that I want out of this Conan mega-campaign. If I try to throw in just random big baddies to soak up the experience levels, it will cheapen the overall feel of the 'race against the prophecy' of Trial of Blood. So, I have made the decision to make it a little harder than before, but thereby leaving a great deal of room for the PCs to enjoy their successes without becoming uber-PCs.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter, but know that I'm not giving away any secrets.

I just don't want to add filler encounters and monsters galore, when a good Conan story is what we want, right?

Cheers,
Bry
That's about all I know about it. Here's a list of the 1st edition adventures and a discussion on which one people thought were best:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... adventures

Plus, you have the 2nd edition adventures from S&P listed here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=20177
“Crom and his devils!”
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Nice links! Thanks, Strom.

Questions, though....

It's my understanding that there's not a heck of a lot of difference between 1st and 2nd edition Conan. I thought Conan 2E just cleaned up some details of Conan 1E.

Shouldn't the 1st edition adventures be plug-n-play with 2nd edition?

Why the distinction, if this is so?

If there is a big difference, what are those differences (between 1st and 2nd edition...in a nushell)?
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Every adventure is adaptable for 2nd edition - I only made the distinction on the list because Mongoose is! :lol:

Here's thulsa's list of changes between the two editions:

http://www.hyboria.xoth.net/rules/chang ... dition.htm
“Crom and his devils!”
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Strom wrote:Every adventure is adaptable for 2nd edition - I only made the distinction on the list because Mongoose is! :lol:

Here's thulsa's list of changes between the two editions:

http://www.hyboria.xoth.net/rules/chang ... dition.htm
Excellent. Thanks again. It's what I thought...just little tweaks here and there. Glad to see that since I'm using 2nd edition.
Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:35 pm

The cover doesn't look very Aquilonian to me... zombies in peculiar kit, and looks like desert. Shem or maybe Zamora?

I am hoping it would be around Zamora, as my campaign is set in thereabouts, at least for now.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Verderer wrote:The cover doesn't look very Aquilonian to me... zombies in peculiar kit, and looks like desert.
Agreed.
I am hoping it would be around Zamora, as my campaign is set in thereabouts, at least for now.
Coincidence. I'm leaning towards setting my campaign in Zamora, too. There's a couple of low level adventures set there, and there's the big Shadizar box set--plenty of stuff to kick off a good campaign.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:21 pm

Verderer wrote:The cover doesn't look very Aquilonian to me... zombies in peculiar kit, and looks like desert. Shem or maybe Zamora?

I think that's supposed to be the ocean. The zombies would be Atlanteans.
Games Running: The Nemedian Chronicles - Path of Wolves - Conan d20

Game Playing: The Hack Below - HackMaster 4e, Siege Weapons - Champions
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

flatscan wrote:I think that's supposed to be the ocean. The zombies would be Atlanteans.
I'm sure the artist wouldn't be complemented in knowing that at least two viewers (I'm one as well) didn't see that pic as the "sea", either. I thought it was desert as well. Probably the coloring.

But, in that case, Aquilonia doesn't touch a vast body of water, either....which means the adventure probably takes place at least in two places: Aquilonia and some other coastal area.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm

Supplement Four wrote:But, in that case, Aquilonia doesn't touch a vast body of water, either....which means the adventure probably takes place at least in two places: Aquilonia and some other coastal area.
No, but it's right next to the Pictish Wilderness which touches the Western Ocean. King Kull's right hand man was a Pict, and I imagine they will be involved as well.

Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:55 pm

That looks a bit too light in colour and looming for sea, surely? More like a sand dune in a desert storm, kind of thing?
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:01 am

Verderer wrote:That looks a bit too light in colour and looming for sea, surely? More like a sand dune in a desert storm, kind of thing?
I believe it's artists interpretation. The rest of the cover is very dark, the moon is blood red. If it's desert, then the zombies are coming out of sand. Knowing what I do about the campaign (Atlanteans, King Conan in Aquilonia) my money is still on it being water. After all, "Know, o prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities". We'll know if either the artist responds to this thread or when we get the book. :D

Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 am

Hmm, maybe but I still maintain the 'sea' looks to monchromatic and there are no reflections, foam etc. But we'll soon know I hope...
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:04 am

I think it's a desert mayhap in Stygia - but I think Verderer may be right about the Acheron zombies.

Then again the formation of Conan and his comrades looks like they are fighting off the side of a ship being all bunched up like they are. Then the zombies are swimming or walking on water....

I guess when Chris shows up we will know. :lol:
“Crom and his devils!”
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 am

Got the word from the man himself. And despite what he says, his covers are awesome!
cquilliams wrote:Yes they are coming out of the water. Although the water could read a little a little better I think. And they're wraiths not zombies, but wraiths definitely do look a lot like zombie's.

Thanks for the compliment!! Although the Conan covers aren't great as I want them sometimes I do try to put everything into each one. :)

Cheers
Chris Q

B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm

They are assuredly undead soldiers rising out of the sea. Chris worked up exactly what I asked for, and I think he did a helluva job, too. :)

The colouration differences actually have a relation to the prophecy in the book as well...as the cover shows a possible outcome of the adventure.

*bwah ha ha!!!*

-Bry
Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Bugger. That pretty much rules out Zamora as a possible scene, doesn't it.

Is that a sort of 'seas turning into blood' sort thingy then? :shock:
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Today the website shows Trial of Blood as "Aug 2008"......therefore all the other products will come much later (we will not see Khitai before November????? - at this point that "Oct 2008" cannot be believed....)....
...Mongoose' unpredictable (and not-trustable) schedule strikes again!!!!
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Bugger. That pretty much rules out Zamora as a possible scene, doesn't it.
Well...THAT scene will not take place in Zamora, no...but the mega-campaign takes the characters all over the continent. So, who knows. ;)

-Bry
Belkregos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Belkregos » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:02 am

LucaCherstich wrote:Today the website shows Trial of Blood as "Aug 2008"......therefore all the other products will come much later (we will not see Khitai before November????? - at this point that "Oct 2008" cannot be believed....)....
...Mongoose' unpredictable (and not-trustable) schedule strikes again!!!!
this is just getting ridiculous
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
The Myth of Sisyphus