Conan with other RPGs

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Barbarossa Rotbart
Mongoose

Conan with other RPGs

Postby Barbarossa Rotbart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 pm

After reading that some of you thinking about using Runequest as rules for Conan and that atleast one wants to use WFRP for Conan, I got curious about which RPG (except Mongoose's Conan RPG) you would use for Conan.

I've got two suggestion which sadly are only published in Germany:
- Midgard: Germany's oldest RPG. The rules are much simpler than D&D, combat is tied into the skill rules and is deadly. Many classes, but no cultures. Can be easily adapted to nearly any setting.
- Das Schwarze Auge: Germany's biggest RPG. Very complex rules. Different races, culturers and professions and rules for creating own races etc. Combat is also very deadly. Several forms of magic avaible. conversion is not very easy, because all races and cultures and missing professions must be created from scratch.
Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 pm

I think I mentioned in another thread that a friend on mine (the one who sold me his Conan RPG stuff) is using Harnmaster for Conan games. As it is very realistic system I can see how it would very well for a gritty Conan game.
Style
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Style » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:50 am

As mentioned in several other threads, I use Savage Worlds, specifically the Solomon Kane rules. I'm very pleased. Combat is likewise tied to skills. There are no classes. The magic system (which is substantially different in Kane rules than in the base rules) is a good fit, but lacks much spell selection. The three areas I've spent all my time creating a Savage Conan game is fleshing out the races, creating new spells (the mechanic is great, just needed more selection), and converting the alchemical and herbal items.

This biggest thing I can say about SW is it's a VERY gm friendly system. Record keeping in game during combat is very minimal (and combat's very fast). Prep time between sessions is a snap. I spend almost no time on system things when prepping for a session. All my efforts go into working on good story lines, creating interesting NPC personalities/concepts, and plotting fiendish traps and puzzles. :twisted: Gone are they days where I painstakingly spent hours putting together stat blocks of npcs and combat "cheat sheets", in an attempt to keep d20 combat moving at something faster than a snails pace.
Proud member of the Sandbox GMs' club:
Building Golden Bridges, one game at a time.
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:49 am

I have another thread going about my efforts to put Conan onto a FUDGE-based chassis. The system seems nearly perfect for a gritty and fast-play setting. I'm about halfway finished typing up the rules for it, and we are doing more play testing this weekend.

I think there are a lot of great systems out there that could do a good job of running a Conan setting. I think I found mine! :D
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:35 am

As I said in other threads, I tried a lot of different systems with Conan. Chaosium BRP remains probably my favourite: fast, simple and easy and yet more realistic than this f*****g D20 system! (which has been the worst system I tried for Conan so far). And it's easily tweakable to your own needs without headaches.
I talk to planets, baby.
Krushnak
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Krushnak » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:13 pm

I find the d20 version fine. i have a good familiarity with the rules that means i rarely need to look at the rulebook during a game and find it really easy to ad lib rules when we run into one of the blindspots that occur in all games. I just seem to have an affinity for absorbing and understanding rules. if i had to use something else it would be a toss up between warhammer and savage worlds.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:47 pm

I agree - I use D20 and we have a great time and just don't find it any harder than Warhammer Fantasy or other game systems. Combat goes relatively fast. We recently played the CthulhuTech game and their Werks system took just as long. Opps, wife calling me - gotta go.
“Crom and his devils!”
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:52 pm

I still enjoy 3.5. But it's not the understanding of the rules that lessens the enjoyment of the game. I've been running 3.5 for almost 5 years now weekly. What kills it for me is the process of action resolution in 3.5. It's a slow and mathy process compared to some other systems. I use DM Genie to make all of the calculations, and we even use the autoroll feature in DM Genie which makes all of the game rolls, and it's still a bit of a process compared to lighter systems.

I've seen some nasty and downright ignorant threads by rules-heavy elitists that claim that people who gravitate towards lighter systems "can't handle" or "understand" heavier systems like Rolemaster or 3.5 (not here). I played a game of Rolemaster with one of my gamers and I only had an hour to read the rulebook on the way to the game. I don't think that game style preference is a direct correlation to intelligence, and that attitude, coming from intelligent people, is ironic to me.

For me, the design of the system is important in delivering the experience you are looking to give your players. I really like the crunchiness of simulation-style games. What I don't like is how the details can slow down game play; not in their amount of rules, but in the steps required to arrive at the proper numbers, and the steps necessary to resolve the action. Lighter systems seem to favor common sense over pages and pages of rules that try to account for every eventuality. One could easily argue that a lighter system requires a high level of intelligence as well, in that, one can't just rely on the memorization of rules and must think on their feet and make quick mental calculations to arrive at the optimum result. I wouldn't make either argument however, because I believe that both types of games require a healthy amount of intelligence to play without strain and stress.

When I first started using DM Genie to manage the mechanical aspects of my 3.5 games, I was amazed at the speed with which we were able to resolve actions, because it was so much faster than conventional methods. I've recently played in systems much lighter than 3.5 (FUDGE and Action! specifically), and I couldn't believe how much faster action resolution was even compared to our modified approach to 3.5. While I believe that the "lightness' of the systems plays a part in the increased speed of task resolution, I believe a bigger factor is that the system fit my GM'ing style more closely, which sped things up because they feel more intuitive to me.

The thing I've learned most since branching away from 3.5 is that it's really important for a GM to use a system that fits their gaming style. I've always preferred vivid description and deep immersion aspects than the strategic and tactical aspects of RPG's. I think that 3.5 is a great system. It seems pretty balanced and is very robust with a ton of options. But I don't think it's the perfect system for me, because with almost no experience with FUDGE, I ran what my players described as one of their favorite sessions to date. Our combat had even more detail and the players tried things they said they wouldn't have attempted in 3.5. I don't believe it was the system, but the way in which I presented and worked with the system to tell the story and facilitate the action.

I'm not an expert yet in gaming systems (not even close), but it seems to me that any system can do a great job of running a Conan game, if the GM is comfortable with the system and can use the mechanics to capture the essence of the setting. Look how many systems have already been mentioned as compatible with the Conan world.

I'm starting to believe that the system being used has less to do with the setting than it does with being compatible with the GM's game style. I personally think it would be a lot of fun to try Conan in several different systems. :)
Barbarossa Rotbart
Mongoose

Postby Barbarossa Rotbart » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:06 pm

MERP could be modified. Its a rules light version Rolemaster. ;)
If you could play Thieves World with Traveller, why not use it for Conan?

I think I modify Midgard.
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Another game that I thought looked pretty interesting at first skim is HARP. Has anyone here ever played it?
Barbarossa Rotbart
Mongoose

Postby Barbarossa Rotbart » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:54 pm

HARP is nothing else than the latest edition of Rolemaster.
thelevitator
Stoat

Postby thelevitator » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Ahh. I just skimmed through the first part of it. It looked lighter than the version of Rolemaster I played with my friend Mark. I don't know what edition of Rolemaster we played though. I only played a couple of sessions and I didn't really care for the pacing. From my limited experience with Rolemaster, it sure seems like a great system for people who love to roll dice. :)
Barbarossa Rotbart
Mongoose

Postby Barbarossa Rotbart » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 am

Did some one play GURPS Conan or the TSR's Conan RPG?
Thorvang
Stoat

Postby Thorvang » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:45 am

I've never tried any other Conan-based system, but I've developed a 1st edition AD&D campaign setting in the Hyborian Age. I must admit that those old rules don't suit Conans milieu very well. I like the way the 3.5 d20 system works for this game; its fairly quick and easy, and its appropriately brutal combat-wise!! :twisted: It works for me!! :twisted:
CROM!
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 am

Barbarossa Rotbart wrote:Did some one play GURPS Conan or the TSR's Conan RPG?
I've played with the TSR Conan RPG.
It's fine as long as you don't like to have a crunchy system.
IMHO it's a little bit to simplistic to my taste.

It's 9 month since I want to test Conan with Reign but so far I had no time to do it.

W.
Der Rote Baron
Mongoose

Postby Der Rote Baron » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 pm

I gmed two adventures using GURPS CONAN - grim system for a grim setting. But if you want to chop off other peoples arms and legs and still be standing after finishing the last of the mooks look somewhere else.

And the magic system is just not really that impressive in the GURPS CONAN-Universe: I remeber that my high and mighty NPC-Wizard attacked (after rounds-long preparation with a green orb of DOOOOOOOM forming in his hand) the groups sorceror and all that happend was: "Okay, make a Health-check!" "Made ist!" - "Okay, you feel some pain - then it is gone ..."

The duel of the wizards was finally over when I got enough of it and decided that the wizard uses his staff to knock the pc-sorceror out. With one hit to the stomach.

So much for wizardry ...
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:10 pm

This thread topic sounds mighty familiar... :?

As mentioned elsewhere, I've left d20 Conan for First Edition AD&D. The now late E. Gary Gygax did a write-up of stats for Conan in Dragon mag #36, IIRC. I believe I posted a linky to the article here somewhere. The barbie class detailed in Unearthed Arcana is an obvious attempt at quantifying the "crunch" of the class described by REH. However, I don't always agree with the way EGG described him statistically, it's far better than the berserker of the Monster Manual, which could serve in a pinch, IMHO.
rabindranath72
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 am

Yogah of Yag wrote:This thread topic sounds mighty familiar... :?

As mentioned elsewhere, I've left d20 Conan for First Edition AD&D. The now late E. Gary Gygax did a write-up of stats for Conan in Dragon mag #36, IIRC. I believe I posted a linky to the article here somewhere. The barbie class detailed in Unearthed Arcana is an obvious attempt at quantifying the "crunch" of the class described by REH. However, I don't always agree with the way EGG described him statistically, it's far better than the berserker of the Monster Manual, which could serve in a pinch, IMHO.
I am interested in how you adapted the AD&D rules to the setting. If you do not want to discuss here, please PM me. Thanks :)
--------------------------------------------------
Williams and Holland law:
"Everything can be demonstrated by statistical methods if you have enough data"
Zhemri Lord
Cub

Postby Zhemri Lord » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm

I use Harnmaster 1st edition in my Conan campaign. So far we have played 15 adventures (including Tower of The Elephant) and Harnmaster seems to work perfectly with Conan, although I use tons of house rules.

When Conan rpg was first published years ago I immediately bought the core book and tried to create some characters with it. Well... it just felt too D&D and I had to abandon it. I just couldn't cope with the hit points, experience points, and levels...

But I have bought most of the books (except the F series) and use them as reference material as most of them are really great stuff... so lots of thanks to the creative individuals behind this incredible product line.

I haven't tested it but I believe that, as a system, Warhammer FRPG would also work well with Conan and Hyboria.
"Nyt se hyökkää vain yhdellä lonkerolla!"
First Age
Stoat

Postby First Age » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm

The Mongoose Conan books are great. Never been much of a fan of D20. If I was heading in that direction I'd play a version without the baggage (True 20 or Omni).

I've use the excellent books with HeroQuest and my own Wordplay (wordplaygames.co.uk).

Savage is a great fit too.

Your Conan May Vary!
First Age