New Lone Wolf Logo

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
MongooseCharlie
Mongoose

New Lone Wolf Logo

Postby MongooseCharlie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 am

Hi all, the following is a message from Joe Dever Re: the new Logo

The new Lone Wolf logo is similar to the old one, albeit somewhat cleaner. The new design pays homage to previous Lone Wolf logos, especially those that were used in the UK (Random House editions) and the USA (Berkeley/Putnam editions) during the 1980's and 1990's. The revamp has come about for practical reasons. The books are being re-launched in several countries and the overseas publishers have voiced their concerns that the previous logo was not best suited for their needs. For example, in Italian and French and German, Lone Wolf does not translate as two equally-weighted words. In French it is Loup Solitaire, in Italian it is Lupo Solitario, and in German it is Einsammer Wolf. In each case, one word is longer than the other. With the wolf's head bisecting the title line in the middle, as in did in the previous logo, the title becomes unbalanced. The new logo design addresses this issue. There were also some comments from the US that the previous logo was 'too messy'. The new version is cleaner, sharper, and the title is much easier to read. It stands out better when placed on a colour background and when viewed at a distance. It is also more in keeping with the UK and US originals.
BlackCat
Banded Mongoose

Postby BlackCat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 pm

I have a question:

Is this all about this logo Image being the "new" logo for the LW brand or is it about a totally new logo that came out very recently? I don't see any newer logo anywhere.
Last edited by BlackCat on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilRedEye
Stoat

Postby EvilRedEye » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Apparently so. Here's the French one if the website doesn't mind me leeching it: Image
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I think they mean the new logo with the words under the wolf head as seen on the Mongoose main page near the top

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
BlackCat
Banded Mongoose

Postby BlackCat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Errr, I only see the logo that I've pasted in my precedent post.

EDIT: Oh, I've clicked on the refresh button and there it is! Image
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 pm

BlackCat wrote:Errr, I only see the logo that I've pasted in my precedent post.

EDIT: Oh, I've clicked on the refresh button and there it is! Image
That looks like an improvement to me. I wasn't too fond of the blood splattered wolfshead logo but it does seem bad to change a logo mid series (maybe changing it after book 5, so it's a transition from the Kai to the Magnakai series would be good). I do like this new one better 'though and Joe's right, it does harken back to some of the older ones.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
BlackCat
Banded Mongoose

Postby BlackCat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Balgin Stondraeg wrote: I wasn't too fond of the blood splattered wolfshead logo but it does seem bad to change a logo mid series (maybe changing it after book 5, so it's a transition from the Kai to the Magnakai series would be good).
When are we going to see the new logo on the books? From what we were told, book 5 is already printed (obviously with the old logo), but what about book 6? The cover showed on the LW page has it with the blood splattered thing, but the book is not printed yet. Are they going to change it? Honestly, I would like you to change it as it seems that the new logo is smaller than the precedent one. With the smaller logo, you can raise the title a little bit higher on the cover and avoid blocking the Dakomyd's face. :?
KaiLord
Stoat

Postby KaiLord » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:22 pm

I can understand that typesetting nightmare, but that asymmetrical spatter wolf head has really grown on me.
MongooseCharlie
Mongoose

Postby MongooseCharlie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 am

The Logo is changing from Book 6 for the obvious reasons. The cover on the website is a mock up. As I am just putting the finishing touches to books 6 & 7 now I saw no point in changing the mock ups as the real covers should be ready by the end of the week anyway. They should be up on the LW page by the end of friday so keep a look out all. :D
FrostHawk
Weasel

Postby FrostHawk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I don't like the new one at ALL!!!
Then it would be **** to have a collector's edition with different layout and logos.
If there would be a chance to go back to the "blood spattered" it would be great.

Please leave the logo on the collector's edition.
Please, please, please!!!
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:16 pm

I never fancied the splatter-wolf much I'm afraid. The new one is an improvement. All wolfie needs now are some shades. 8)
BlackCat
Banded Mongoose

Postby BlackCat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm

FrostHawk wrote: Please leave the logo on the collector's edition.
Please, please, please!!!
It's not Mongoose's decision; it's JD who asked for the change. So even if you complain to Mongoose, they won't be able to do anything.
MongooseCharlie
Mongoose

Postby MongooseCharlie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 am

Joe's Message explained everything. I'm afraid that this logo works best globally and so will go ahead. Personally I prefer it also
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Eternalknight » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 am

Hmm, I think I personally like the new one better
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 am

It took me a while, but I'm starting to like the new one a lot better than the old one. The old one was fairly cool but looking at it, it's a lot less 'wolf' than the new one.
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
FrostHawk
Weasel

Postby FrostHawk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:42 pm

The awful thing is not having a logo or another, but is having a collector's edition that is not coherent from the first to the last book.
I can imagine that for many of the fans it's not a problem, because the UK and USA edition didn't have any kind of continuity, but this is a collector's edition, so it's supposed to have the same cover artist, the same layout, the same logo, the same type, the same illustrator from the beginning to the end.

I'm pretty disappointed with this choice and I would had been even more disappointed if I would have bought the MegaDeal, I think a would have asked a refund.
So, at this point, I don't know if I'll be still buying the new books, because I don't want a collection, that has not the peculiarities of a collection.
I'm very sad, because having the definitive LW collection was a desire that I had since I was 12, nearly two decades ago, and this choice really sent my feelings about this release under my feet.

Also, it's quite comical that the fans in Italy would have given their blood to have the new logo, but we have this one
Image, while the rest of the world prefers something that we have (more or less)
A bitter laugh...
Lycanthus
Stoat

Postby Lycanthus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 am

I kind of agree with the above post. A whole and cohesive collection is much more attractive than a mix of styles sitting on your bookshelf. The ironic thing for me is that I actually prefer the older splatter logo...though I seem to be about thee only one who does! :)
pjagum
Weasel

Postby pjagum » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:26 am

No, you´r not!
And after all I don`t really get the point for what reason the logo had to be changed. The balancing issue whith words of different length might be the same with this logo (since the wolfhead reaches "somehow" into the textline) and about the rest (homage, messy, clearer from a distance)... Wasn`t that able to recognice before printing the first 6 books... twice... :wink:
Last edited by pjagum on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lycanthus
Stoat

Postby Lycanthus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:53 am

I haven't gone back and read this thread so it might actually say here butthe reason for the change was that the older logo relied on the symmetry of the words Lone and Wolf on either side of the wolf's head. In other languages the words aren't always of the same length and the symmetry is lost, hence the new logo. To be honest I don't know why they didn't just move the old logo around to produce an analogue of what they now have.

I suppose the good news is that Joe Dever had to actually advocate the new logo so at least he seems to think it's in keeping with the world of Lone Wolf. :)

PS: My favourite logo is the older French one with the title Loup Solitaire (which isn't symmetrical. Go figure!
pjagum
Weasel

Postby pjagum » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 am

I really shouldn`t edit my posts so late :wink: sorry pal.