Shadow on the sand

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns

Evade capture or surrender then escape?

Evade
95%
Surrender
5%

Total votes: 19
True Bull
Shrew

Shadow on the sand

Postby True Bull » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 pm

In advance of the book arriving I thought I would just get a general feeling on the two main paths in the first part of the book.

My own feeling is that LW will evade capture thereby showing his greater nerve and daring and causing certain other characters in the book a bit of heartburn/indigestion at his freedom. And you get some good stuff.

The other option of course is going to jail (and what jail has been built that can hold LW?) which then starts you off in the palace - which has some different equipment advantages.
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Thu May 01, 2008 12:57 am

Evade, there's just so many fun things to do (like using mind over matter to make the jars fall off the roof as a noisy distraction :)).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Thu May 01, 2008 8:09 pm

It's funny, I seem to recall prefering the captured path, yet it feels so Lone Wolf-y to evade. I think once I strung it on as long as possible then got darted by Moak just before escaping, the best of both worlds.

So I will hope to be captured, but always have aimed to evade, and will play that path. Oede is nothingto be sneezed at either :D
True Bull
Shrew

Postby True Bull » Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am

Seems to be fairly comprehensive result. I also remember initially being ambivalent about being captured but the last few times I played I have taken it as a personal insult if Moak got the better of LW.
Could be looked at as a magnamund Olympic event - Triathlon. Being swimming, urban freerun, sewer wading :lol:
FallingPhoenix
Banded Mongoose

Postby FallingPhoenix » Tue May 27, 2008 5:19 am

The first time or two I tried it, I always evaded.

You miss the Oede if you get captured!

Of course, Healing/Curing/Deliverance is now almost always one of my very first disciplines...
"We can disagree without being disagreeable." - Gordon B. Hinckley
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby columbob » Sat May 31, 2008 2:22 pm

When I was a kid I always surrendered, until I found out all the fun of running around the city!

The book is almost 25 % shorter if you do surrender though.
Up the Irons!
kimah
Cub

Postby kimah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 am

I've always run away but then it's always been a toss-up between getting Limbdeath and the Oede Herb or avoiding the Limbdeath and then getting automatically captured after visiting the potion shop.

If you avoid getting Limbdeath then the +2 Alether that you can buy in the potion shop is helpful in the archery contest with Altan in Book 6. (I always keep the +4 Alether from Book 3 for the Chaos Master in Book 11).
longhairyuppiescum
Shrew

Postby longhairyuppiescum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 am

Evade!
(Alether can be obtained in sufficient quantity in other books IMO.)
Did you know? - I'm not Lawrence Bender.
kimah
Cub

Postby kimah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Whereabouts? Other than the +4 stuff in Book 3 have never found any more until after the archery contest in Book 6.
longhairyuppiescum
Shrew

Postby longhairyuppiescum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Do you really need Alether in the Kai series?
Anyway, Alether can be found in book one (though not advised) and book four, too.

Ed.: As I think about it the Alether in book one was probably removed in the Mongoose Edition.. (As I didn't play the new book one extensively yet)
Ah, and I see, you like to use the Alether to get the Silver Bow. - I'd use the one from book four if in need.
kimah
Cub

Postby kimah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Can't say I've ever had to use it in the Kai Series, but it probably goes without saying that it can be very useful indeed in the Magnakai series (the first instance being the Book 6 archery contest as I mentioned earlier).

Thanks for that info though! I've played through Books 1-5 goodness knows how many times and thought I knew them back to front but obviously not!! (It's rather nice to discover that there are bits still to find even after all these years!).

When you refer to Book 1 by the way do you mean the old version or the new version?
longhairyuppiescum
Shrew

Postby longhairyuppiescum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Modified my previous post at about the time you replied... :)
kimah
Cub

Postby kimah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Scratch last paragraph of my last post, have only just seen your edit longhairyuppiescum!
longhairyuppiescum
Shrew

Postby longhairyuppiescum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

rofl

Again!