books

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Lane Shutt
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:43 am

Postby Lane Shutt » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:39 am

Götterfunke wrote: So what I suggest is a TRO for the A 2089 with warmeks, power armours, tanks etc. for a certain period.
Looks like Power armor is coming in the Soldiers Companion.

I like the idea of Technical Readouts as well. Thing is there is little need for them at this point. Most everything is in the main rules and unlike BT there has not been any advancement in the timeline yet. When you consider that Warmechs have been around for 19 years and most of the weapons much longer I doubt there will be a huge leap in technology in a few years time. This means that a TRO book would be mostly eye candy. Better for them to publish a Mercenaries of 2089 with details on prominent Merc. companies, corporate teams, armored/ Infantry units and private air forces.
Götterfunke
Mongoose
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Postby Götterfunke » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:21 pm

Hi, Lane Shutt! :P

First of all thank you for the replay!
A TRO is not just eye candy - in my opinion there should be real technology progress - I think that an arm race will be a natural answer to a war turned hot....look at WW II or the cold war between Russia and USA. It`s obvious that new countries will develop a warmek industry in order to protect themselves.
A: 2089 is a Mech RPG and so warmeks are the "stars" of this game - so publishing a TRO will be very important (in my opinion), because the old one`s (warmeks) are fantastic, but they will become boring....new weapons, mek classes or chassis are the "salt" of this game! And last but not least I love eye candy, it is inspiring me all the time - without eye candy nobody would buy a mongoose supplement, because the d20 still exists and with some patience every hardcore - player will adapt the rules

Have a nice day! :P
EF gonna crush you!!!
Purkle-chan
Mongoose
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: UK

Postby Purkle-chan » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:39 pm

Götterfunke wrote:A TRO is not just eye candy - in my opinion there should be real technology progress - I think that an arm race will be a natural answer to a war turned hot....look at WW II or the cold war between Russia and USA. It`s obvious that new countries will develop a warmek industry in order to protect themselves.
I don't think that many countries would jump on the mek production bandwagon, not when it's easier in many ways to just go out and hire some mercs to do the jobs for you. Either that or to just buy off the shelf meks, and do some limited customisation. Just look at the way groups like NATO handle jets and the like these days. Setting up production facilities, getting staff to run them, and so on, would involve lots of over heads, for very little return in the short run.
Götterfunke wrote:A: 2089 is a Mech RPG and so warmeks are the "stars" of this game - so publishing a TRO will be very important (in my opinion), because the old one`s (warmeks) are fantastic, but they will become boring....new weapons, mek classes or chassis are the "salt" of this game! And last but not least I love eye candy, it is inspiring me all the time - without eye candy nobody would buy a mongoose supplement, because the d20 still exists and with some patience every hardcore - player will adapt the rules
I wouldn't classify A2089 as a mek rpg. Sure, the main book does put the emphasis on PC mek pilots, but that's not the only option avialable. Yes, the meks are important to the setting, but to just sell it as a mek rpg makes those who don't want to use that many meks in the game, maybe they're running a tank company and only using meks as occasional opponents, less likely to remain interested.

New weapons. Well, there's only so much you can do, whilst still remaining inside the limits of what is theoretically possible in the setting. This is a near future game, so its based somewhat on modern day technology.

New mek classes. Again, there's not much you can do here. As there aren't really any hard set classes at the moment. Yes, there are comms meks, and scout meks, and so on, but that's more down to the pilot and the equipment/armour loaded onto the basic chassis.

New mek chassis. See above. Design principles don't make meks with more than four legs likely at the moment, as in 2089 the four legged meks are new and still undergoing testing. More about which can be seen in the back of Warmachines of 2089. There's also a limit placed by the construction methods as to what the chassis can be made out of, even using zero-g manufacturing equipment.

As for 'eye candy' not everyone likes the same kinds of things. One of the players in my group wasn't that taken on the mek pictures in A2089, because they're designed with 'function over form' in mind, and as such lack the graceful appearance of meks in other settings. Personally, I rather like this way of going about it, as it makes more sense from perspective of the background. But, hopefully, people buy the books based on more than just the eye candy you get with it. I mean, if all you're after is eye candy, there's always top shelf magazines. :lol: Though you don't get D20 stats in those... or so I've been told. :)
Guest

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:23 pm

I`m a little bit sad that there should be no place for new warmeks in the future. (I don`t understand that a hardcore - fan opposes new supplements, because I can`t get enough.... :wink: )
Purkle-chan
Mongoose
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: UK

Postby Purkle-chan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 am

Anonymous wrote:I`m a little bit sad that there should be no place for new warmeks in the future. (I don`t understand that a hardcore - fan opposes new supplements, because I can`t get enough.... :wink: )
I don't recall anyone saying there shouldn't be any new meks, certainly not myself. New meks, using the existing technology, would be a good thing, provided its not over done. I simply provided valid reasons as to why some of the items suggested don't really fit that well with the setting, as I see it.
Lane Shutt
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:43 am

Postby Lane Shutt » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:27 am

Anonymous wrote:I don`t understand that a hardcore - fan opposes new supplements
I would love to see more supplements, just let them flesh out the world before expanding specific areas.

The present and scheduled releases cover ground vehicles, aircraft and ground troops.
I would expect future expansions would be Naval and Civilian source books. Expanding on the non military aspects of the world would bring it up to the level of a general RPG rather than a combat game. SOme people on this forum have already expressed interest in running non mech games.
Another possibility would be a supplement detailing the IPEX orbital colonies.

As for the progress of technology. I do not see great leaps in only a few years. Unlike WWII most of the technology is fairly mature, most changes will be minor refinements represented by a bonus and cost increase. You also have to consider that the Armageddon war is not an all out war between nations. With the exception of the UK nobody is threatened with invasion and loss of national identity. The war is two powers using mercenaries to do their dirty work with little risk to themselves. Instead of national survival the dominant incentive for technological advance is corporate greed.
Warmech design may evolve but needs to be balanced to maintain playability. For example the Centaur Warmech, mentioned by a third party not Mongoose, could have the mobility advantage of a MWP but have a very limited size torso and arms.
Purkle-chan
Mongoose
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: UK

Postby Purkle-chan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:29 pm

I quite agree with that, as only going into detail on a specific area of the setting might seem like a good idea, but it means you have less aspects to interest people who might not find the area you're going into great detail about as interesting as others.

As for space, that's covered in the Air supliment along with all the other stuff. So there might be details of the orbital facilities/colonies in there.

That's true, about the lelve of warfare, we're tlaking about small brush fires, rather than a raging inferno. So people aren't going to pump as much resources into R&D as they would in an all out war.
Götterfunke
Mongoose
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Postby Götterfunke » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:59 pm

Hi, everybody!

I agree with Purkle chan that technology progress should be limited to small steps...in order to keep the realistic touch of the A: 2089, but that is no reason to stop introducing new warmeks.

In a short term the warmek technology spread over the whole world (2075-2089). I just want to quote "warmachines of 2089" p 37:
"....the Destroyer gave rise to a swarm of competitor models p 36.....even private concerns like corporations with resources to guard and mercenary companies beholden to no particular government are DEVELOPING WARMEKS p37....."

So there is a big competition to produce the ideal warmek and (like the current A-bomb problem) the technology will be used by major and minor states.

Mercenary groups are okay, but it`s vital for a country like Korea to have their own warmek industry in order to be independent from unreliable mercenary groups. I know what you want to answer now: that`s too expansive and I want to answer you: War is expansive and uneconomic -look at the last Iraq war....


To Lane Shutt: It is a joke that no country is threatened with invasion or loss of national identity.....do you remember....somebody has nuked Brussels!
EF gonna crush you!!!
Purkle-chan
Mongoose
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: UK

Postby Purkle-chan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:16 am

Götterfunke wrote:In a short term the warmek technology spread over the whole world (2075-2089). I just want to quote "warmachines of 2089" p 37:
"....the Destroyer gave rise to a swarm of competitor models p 36.....even private concerns like corporations with resources to guard and mercenary companies beholden to no particular government are DEVELOPING WARMEKS p37....."
They might be developing new Warmeks, but that doesn't mean they're developing new technologies to put inside them. The two aren't linked that closely, as not every single new mek design has to have something brand-spanking-new in it. Many of them will just have slightly different hard/software inside. Much like a computer at the moment, there's lots and lots of companies that are developing systems, but only a couple of handfulls that are actually developing new technologies.
Götterfunke wrote:So there is a big competition to produce the ideal warmek and (like the current A-bomb problem) the technology will be used by major and minor states.
There is no one "ideal" warmek, the bes tyou can get is one that's good in several different situations. True, the tech is being, and will be, used by many different nations, that doesn't mean they all go out and make it from scratch.
Götterfunke wrote:Mercenary groups are okay, but it`s vital for a country like Korea to have their own warmek industry in order to be independent from unreliable mercenary groups. I know what you want to answer now: that`s too expansive and I want to answer you: War is expansive and uneconomic -look at the last Iraq war....
That's where you only deal with reiable merc groups on a regular basis. Plus, if the group is no good, or does actually turn on you, then there's not much chance of them getting work anywhere else. Word spreads rather quickly, ue to the media and what not.
Götterfunke wrote:To Lane Shutt: It is a joke that no country is threatened with invasion or loss of national identity.....do you remember....somebody has nuked Brussels!
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but... Yes, someone nuked Brussels. However, that wasn't an invasion, it wasn't them loosing control of their own land. That was a preemptive strike, if you will, against a valid Command and Control target. Its just that the people carrying it out decided to make it big and showy by using tac nukes.
Lane Shutt
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:43 am

Postby Lane Shutt » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:29 am

Götterfunke wrote: I agree with Purkle chan that technology progress should be limited to small steps...in order to keep the realistic touch of the A: 2089, but that is no reason to stop introducing new warmeks.
I may have misunderstood your comments about "New" Warmechs. I assumed you meant new technology and design paramerters. I have no problem with new designs using the present rules.
Götterfunke wrote: Mercenary groups are okay, but it`s vital for a country like Korea to have their own warmek industry in order to be independent from unreliable mercenary groups.
I disagree that all nations need their own Warmech production capability, most have friendly relations with major warmech producing countries. Korea may be one of the few that does not, and they already produce their own Mechs based on Tiger Combine designs.

What we may see develop in Warmech design is a set of "design features" representing philosophies or unique technology. One company may have better DV, another lower IR sig or resistant to critical damage. Players could have custom Mechs built by their favorite company, pay a modified base price, and receive the design feature for that company.
Götterfunke wrote: To Lane Shutt: It is a joke that no country is threatened with invasion or loss of national identity.....do you remember....somebody has nuked Brussels!

What I meant is that the US is unlikely to occupy teritory in Europe, replacing the government with a friendly pupet.

--
Lane Shutt
Guest

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:23 pm

New warmeks would be fantastic (TRO is a nice setting) :D and I agree with L.S. and P.c.....they shouldn`t be overloaded with new technology....otherwise A:2089 will lose its realistic touch!

I just want to mention that I love the idea of highly experimental miniature meks....!
Götterfunke
Mongoose
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Postby Götterfunke » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:02 pm

Hi, everybody!

Not only Korea will develop their own warmek (with help of the Tiger combine).....the nordic league will also build up their own warmek industry - I just want to quote Earth 2089:....but several domestic designs are in development, expected to enter League service in the next year, with export versions...." p37

Another new global player will be Australia: ....with the aid of Combine corporations, a joint army-air force endeavour is underway to develop air-mobile Meks.....

So I´m very optimistic to see new corporations producing their own warmeks :P

Have a nice day
EF gonna crush you!!!
Dwarven Godfather
Shrew
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:51 am

I'm sold on Armageddon 2089

Postby Dwarven Godfather » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:42 am

You giys have finally sold me on Armageddon 2089, now I just have to wait for some money to come my way, so I can get the $40.00 main book.
I've been looking for a game to replace Battletech and since there are talks about a miniature game for it, it might be something I can get my wife to try as long as it's simple.
I have one suggestion about the novels though: FASA had William H. Keith start a good series that I loved called the Gray Death Legion. It was about a Mech warrior trainee who built his own company from the ground up and was a couple of books not just one book. I love Trilogies, the author is able to bring the characters he is talking about to life and people want to play those characters or create those characters in the game. Please make sure to have the authors write more than one book on the subject. Let me add that I could not put down these books at all, I would read for hours and I would want to do that for your novels if you start them from scratch, so everyone could get the feel for the universe through the novels.

I Just want to say to Team Mongoose, you guys seem to be working in the right direction with capturing the other genre than everyone else. There are already to many Fantasy world settings and not enough of others (Sci-fi, cyberpunkish, or others). What you should do now is do the same thing with this world as with the Quintessential line of books for Armageddon 2089 once you have done the essential information books.
I will now start to collect the Armageddon 2089 books, I have wanted to since they came out.
Guest

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:22 pm

Like Dwarven Godfather I`m a Battletech fan, too....and like the good old Godfather I`m searching for a replacement!

So I love the idea of a miniature game.........many tiny, medium, large and gargantuan warmeks........(I guess these are the different warmek - tonnage - types) fighting and destroying each other on the battleground......this will be simply great!
User avatar
Neo
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Sheffield, SYorks, UK
Contact:

Re: I'm sold on Armageddon 2089

Postby Neo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:06 am

Dwarven Godfather wrote:You giys have finally sold me on Armageddon 2089, now I just have to wait for some money to come my way, so I can get the $40.00 main book.
I've been looking for a game to replace Battletech and since there are talks about a miniature game for it, it might be something I can get my wife to try as long as it's simple.
I have one suggestion about the novels though: FASA had William H. Keith start a good series that I loved called the Gray Death Legion. It was about a Mech warrior trainee who built his own company from the ground up and was a couple of books not just one book. I love Trilogies, the author is able to bring the characters he is talking about to life and people want to play those characters or create those characters in the game. Please make sure to have the authors write more than one book on the subject. Let me add that I could not put down these books at all, I would read for hours and I would want to do that for your novels if you start them from scratch, so everyone could get the feel for the universe through the novels.
Armageddon is a great game, and one of the best thing of all I love about the book is how its bound. its quite a large book but its spine is such that you can lay it open on any page without the pages drifting back and without it creasing or damaging anything. Perfect for a book that is going to need to be opened on a particular page here and there during a game.

Oh and Godfather as for the Gray Death Trilogy, you and me are in total concurence there, you just named my favourite three battletech books of all time :)
Cpl. Mark "Neo" Howe MI68-94
http://www.neo73.plus.com/
MI Forward Reconnaissance, The Wolf Pack
Mongooses "Old Man" of Playtesting
completed playtests #130!
Gaming since 1980
Götterfunke
Mongoose
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:21 pm

Postby Götterfunke » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:20 pm

Hi, everybody!

As a Battletech fan I`m longing for a miniature game (like Godfather and guest)...as an Eagle Game admirer (I`ve bought nearly all Eagle games like Attack, Age of Imperialism etc.) I`m very curious to see the new boardgame.....! I`m sure that the flair of A:2089 can be adapted for a great boardgame......! :P
EF gonna crush you!!!
Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:44 pm

Void Hawk wrote:1. More info on the UK would be good.

2. "Opposition" style Information. Quick NPC's Groups etc.

3. More Mek designs. I know there are plenty out there, but to be quite honest there need to be more "Standard" Meks available. Hell, I'll write'em up if i can get someone to quickly block up some illustrations (cool illustrations though. Although I like the style of a lot of the Meks, Stat-wise at least, and I appreciate the dedication to the production of good CG for the art, I'm kinda at a loss to explain the fact that the only damn Mek I would Pilot (if choosen for purely aesthetic values) would be the Assassin. Lovely Mek. Absolutely love the design, although I'd strip out the stats and make it a bit more crunchy.
Concerning the illustrations of warmeks - I`m with you Void Hawk....I really enjoy them! Hope there will be some new ones(there is a need for more Standard Meks, perhaps the idea of four limbed warmeks will be developed....)somebody mentioned a technical read out! If Mongoose decides to publish a miniatures game, new warmeks will be a logical consequence.

According to your last post you were searching for an warmek illustrator. Could you find anybody?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests