Will there be more kingdom books like Cimmeria?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
lurkerabove
Shrew

Will there be more kingdom books like Cimmeria?

Postby lurkerabove » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:39 am

I ust read Cimmeria will be getting its own book like Shem, Aquilonia etc, does that mean eventually all realms like Brythunia etc will get there own books?
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 am

Nobody cares about Brythunia. We want Turan! :twisted:
I talk to planets, baby.
merkkari-masa
Stoat

Postby merkkari-masa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 am

Turan & Black Kingdoms would be nice indeed!
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am

How many times do we need to say this ? We want Turan, godammit ! :evil:
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I don't care which regional book appears next but I have 2 conditions:
- all kingdoms must eventually have their own book(s)
- I want them with maps and in color.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Belkregos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Belkregos » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:12 pm

there's already, aquilonia, Argos/Zingara , Shem, stygia and the pict lands (across thunder river)
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
The Myth of Sisyphus
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Mu! :D
“Crom and his devils!”
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 pm

I must say that I found it to be very strange decision from Mongoose to make a source book for Cimmeria, of all places - before many other, more important and interesting realms. I mean, what do we know about Cimmeria? It was a such boring and oppressive place that it made Conan leave it for the wide world. There are boorish, stern tribesmen there, scraping together their living from the harsh nature. They have bloody feuds now and then. That's it. No political intrigue, no ancient ruins, no plotting sorcerers... just "The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre hills; The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;The dusky streams that flowed without a sound, And the lone winds that whispered down the passes." I've always thought Cimmeria to be a rather boring place. The same themes that are present in Cimmeria - barbarism (versus civilization), man versus nature, how suffering makes men hard yet noble - can be found in other, far more exciting places like Pictland and the Black Kingdoms. Cimmeria seems to me like a place where people get out from, not somewhere people would go to, unless they are born there.

I must add a disclaimer that my knowledge of Cimmeria is limited to what Howard wrote, as I haven't read any other Conan stuff.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:39 am

Strom wrote:Mu! :D
:?

The Land of Cows???

:lol:
:wink:

A book of Cimmeria all by itself? I didn't think Two-Fisted Bob wrote that much to fill more than a 1/4 page on Cimmeria.

Turan
Vendhya, Khitai and Other Land of the Blue East
The Ancient World (of Atlantis) with info on Kull (unless the license forbids this)...
Known history begins with the waning of the Pre-Cataclysmic civilization, dominated by the kingdoms of Kamelia, Valusia, Verulia, Grondar, Thule and Commoria. These peoples spoke a similar language, arguing a common origin. There were other kingdoms, equally civilized, but inhabited by different, and apparently older races...
I'd love to learn more about those countries in the misty past! 8)
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:54 am

Khitai is definitely on the schedule here. I know not of the others.
wibble.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:29 pm

I guess someday the line editor will discover how much Turan impacts on the Hyborian World... Well, maybe we'll get it after the Pathenia sourcebook! :wink:
I talk to planets, baby.
DaveNC
Mongoose

Postby DaveNC » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

I also thought it odd that they would have an entire book just for Cimmeria. Other than Conan being from there, there isn't anything very exciting or interesting about it. I'm all for doing more "regional" regional sourcebooks - one that contained information on Cimmeria, Asgard, and Vanaheim all together in one book. Maybe even add Hyperborea as well.
"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."
-REH, The Hour of the Dragon
The King
Chief Mongoose

Postby The King » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:51 am

I am sure Lawrence will provide us with an excellent book (and hope he does add a scenario).
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:40 am

I hear ya King. I'm kinda excited about this Cimmerial supp - and I really wasn't expecting to be. I'm sure there will be numerous ideas that come from the additional info, plus it will be nice to add some flesh to the background of the party's Cimmerians with a backstory based on this supp. That alone could lead to more adventures. When you think about it, Cimmeria is a land that is besieged on all sides by barbarians & savages except to the south, where you have the greatest army in the world. Cimmeria may be dour and grey but from a adventurer perspective, I would make sure it is anything but dull. Getting water at a stream could be an adventure! 8)
“Crom and his devils!”
The King
Chief Mongoose

Postby The King » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:34 am

Indeed! Cimmerian tribes do'nt allow any invaders but a group of adventurers is something different.
I see these tribes very much like Celtic tribes: always waging war between each others until they get united against some threat.

Moreover if Cimmeria is dour, it still have great sites of interest.