Coming of Hanuman?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Gist_Engine
Weasel

Coming of Hanuman?

Postby Gist_Engine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:53 pm

I see this title in the "Upcoming Publications" of Conan in PDF. Why is Hanuman retaining the actual spelling of a South Asian deity?

I realize "Haruman" is hardly a sneaky derivative, but the character of Haruman, a malevolent gorilla-god, is very different from the benevolent, though mischievous, monkey-formed Hanuman.

Is this a typo? Anyone know?
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:09 pm

It's not a typo. The PDF was one of the first released PDF adventures back in '04. It's pretty good and should be available for download. There's a whole backstory that involves Hanuman worship- I don't want to give away too much info.

Read "Shadows In Zamboula" by Robert E. Howard for more background on the Zamboulan's worship of Hanuman.
“Crom and his devils!”
Gist_Engine
Weasel

Postby Gist_Engine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:40 pm

I've read "The Man-Eaters of Zamboula" which I believe is the same thing. It must have been some time ago, but I thought the Howardian appropriation of Hanuman had been called "Haruman" just as Semitic people are so artfully rendered "Shemites" and so on through all the races and deities.

For some reason it struck me as odd to keep the original name. I handle the racism/sexism/orientalism of Howard by hoping he was still further along than most early 20th century Texans. Still, bummer that he used the original Hanuman.

Where have I read "Haruman" then?
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old Bear » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:58 pm

IIRC wasn't Baal-Pteor a strangler of Hanuman in that story? You can blame me for Coming of Hanuman bit as well if the name is wrong! I edited it. :lol:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 am

Yep, Baal-Pteor the strangler is a memorable foe for Conan. I like the description of the Hanuman statue by REH:
Bestial in the uncertain light, Hanuman leered with his carven mask. He sat, not as an ape would crouch, but cross-legged as a man would sit, but his aspect was no less simian for that reason. He was carved from black marble, but his eyes were rubies, which glowed red and lustful as the coals of hell's deepest pits. His great hands lay upon his lap, palms upward, taloned fingers spread and grasping. In the gross emphasis of his attributes, in the leer of his satyr- countenance, was reflected the abominable cynicism of the degererate cult which deified him.

8)
“Crom and his devils!”
Gist_Engine
Weasel

Postby Gist_Engine » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:07 pm

That's a bummer.

Yes, a great foe indeed. It reminded me of that "Beep Beep" song where the guy driving his Cadillac gets passed by the Rambler in second gear. I have to say, though, a little more suspense would have been nice.

Still, some of Howard's best prose in my opinion. I especially liked the ending. It wasn't a surprise, but it did make me chuckle aloud.