Any minority (players) in our group?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
afro-slav
Stoat
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:57 am

Any minority (players) in our group?

Postby afro-slav » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:01 am

Curious as to whether there any minority players in your group?

Generally we seem to be few are far between.
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:02 am
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Postby Spectator » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:35 pm

my darfuri cannibal is not trusted
User avatar
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1032
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:51 am
Location: Here, not There

Postby Yogah of Yag » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Welcome Afro-Slav!

If you're referring to the (real) players'/GMs' ethnicity...
I'm not in a minority group, but I think it's great when anyone gets involved in an engrossing hobby, especially Conan. :wink:

An RPG is all about collaborative, imaginative storytelling, and as such has no boundaries in terms of how it can be pursued or who can participate.
librarycharlie
Stoat
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm

Postby librarycharlie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm like a sixteenth Native American, but you can call me Pictish.

My crew is pretty universally caucasian.
Willowhugger
Stoat
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Postby Willowhugger » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 pm

One of my players is black.

He plays a Black Kingdoms Pirate.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm half Ukrainian, so effectively Hyrkanian or maybe Zamoran. :wink:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Fletcher_Flataroy
Shrew
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Quincy,IL.

Postby Fletcher_Flataroy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 am

I run a game very sunday at our game club. I have one african-american player, 2 woman players in the group at present.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:53 am

Do the female players get into the spirit of things? I guess they must if they are still playing. I confess I've never gamed Conan with any women, so don't know wht it would be like.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Fletcher_Flataroy
Shrew
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Quincy,IL.

Postby Fletcher_Flataroy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

Indeed they do. Though one player is very new to rpg's both players add alot to the game.
User avatar
Sutek
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: Houston Texas

Postby Sutek » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Our female player has been playing RPGs with us since high school, over twenty years ago. And she's always the one calling up to set dates to play more... :)

Alternate ethnicities are harder to come but I don't know why. Typically, it's just white males that turn up to CONs and internet meet up invites. No idea why. I think that it's probably due to under-represdentation of ethnicities other than caucasian in the genre so there's nothing to spark that level of imagination in kids. I mean, I think the best black kids have, just about, is Wilt Chaimberlain in Destroyer and I would reccomend that movie to worst enemy. :lol
AE Errata Thread
"Occam's razor makes the cutting clean..."
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Yes, fantasy movies are pretty much universally populated by white people, although the genre is a European/American one so perhaps that isn't surprising. We may be multicultural now but with the exception of the latter centuries of the Roman Empire there aren't many examples in history to fall back on. Of course ancient Chinese and Japanese history exists and is responsible for the Ninja/Samurai style backdrops, but they are pretty specialised.

The painful truth is that European history just happens to be the most diverse, interesting and well documented. There's no escaping that. Unless you live in Japan or China, of course. :wink:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Gist_Engine
Weasel
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin, TX (US)

Postby Gist_Engine » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Just Old Bear wrote:The painful truth is that European history just happens to be the most diverse, interesting and well documented. There's no escaping that.
I'm not going to be the one to jump on that, but let me say two things: Yes, for Euro-American peoples, the history of Europe and the heroes of Europe cannot help but be the centers of fantasies we inherited from Europe. Yes, it is easier to see diversity among our own. Changing the Eurocentrism, however, might be a responsibility of new game writers, one I take into account when designing games. Secondly, I think enough history of the RPG subculture has been written to see which kinds of people it attracts. Face it, we like this hobby for reasons beyond our control.
Willowhugger
Stoat
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Postby Willowhugger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Also, there's plenty of interesting history elsewise as well.

I've played plenty of Arabian Nights style adventures and Conan is arguably the opposite of stereotypical fantasy.

You might do it a disservice by setting it in mostly European flavored realms.
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:45 pm

The excellent thing about Hyboria is that Howard designed a vast background encompassing so many different races, which is why the series has been able to flourish, because the settings are varied enough to give the stories some unique flavouring.

Many of the races do suffer from the caricatures of the period when the books were written, however. I always picture Feng the Khitan as some sort of Peter Sellers style villain, for example. :lol:
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
User avatar
Axerules
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Tarantia, Aquilonia

Postby Axerules » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Just Old Bear wrote:Many of the races do suffer from the caricatures of the period when the books were written, however.
I do agree with you, JOB.
I always picture Feng the Khitan as some sort of Peter Sellers style villain, for example. :lol:
It's a bad example: The Curse of the Monolith (aka Conan and the Cenotaph), featuring Duke Feng, was written near the end of the 60's by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, not REH.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:26 am

Axerules wrote:
Just Old Bear wrote:Many of the races do suffer from the caricatures of the period when the books were written, however.
I do agree with you, JOB.
I always picture Feng the Khitan as some sort of Peter Sellers style villain, for example. :lol:
It's a bad example: The Curse of the Monolith (aka Conan and the Cenotaph), featuring Duke Feng, was written near the end of the 60's by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, not REH.
This is accepted Conan canon. Therefore I cannot agree with you that it is either a good or bad example. It is simply an example. That's just one of many, and it goes across the whole span of Conan writers, Howard included.

I don't however have the slightest problem with it. Conan isn't LotR - thank god. It's not heavy duty - it's designed to entertain and gratify, which for me it always has on a number of levels.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
User avatar
Axerules
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Tarantia, Aquilonia

Postby Axerules » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 am

You were talking of "the period" (singular) "when the books were written". REH wrote Conan tales in the first half of the 30's. An adventure published at the end of the 60's wasn't written in the same context, IMO. I called it a "bad example" mainly for this reason, not because of the "pastiche issue".

I don't like to think of LSDC/LC (or any pastichers') writings as "accepted Conan canon", but I don't wanna start an argument nor a worthless flame war about it, so we can just agree to disagree on this. 8)

And, as much as I like REH's writings (and I'm a huge fan), I read and appreciate his tales and poems despite of his caricatures and distorded views upon races/racialism/aryanism.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:19 am


I don't like to think of LSDC/LC (or any pastichers') writings as "accepted Conan canon", but I don't wanna start an argument nor a worthless flame war about it, so we can just agree to disagree on this. 8)
It took me quite a while to get my head around the fact that people other than me were making decisions about Conan (I'm being quite serious here) but having met Fred Malmberg a few years ago I realised that he was just as comitted to the ideals of Conan as I was - except he had some different ideas. The reality is that although I disagree with much of the imagery (Aquilonia as it will be portrayed in the forthcoming online game may be pretty but but is most definitely NOT what Howard had in mind) other people own Conan and they have the power in their hands.

I sympathise with your point of view, but as I have mentioned elsewhere I have always considered the work by Sprague de Camp and carter to be satisfyingly close enough to the original works as to be canon. This has only bee reinforced by the abject quality of some of the subsequent writings, but rather like being a Christian, one cannot pick and choose the bits of the bible you think are the best bits.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:17 am
Location: Michigama
Contact:

Postby Strom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:45 am

I agree with Axerules - there is Howard and then there is everyone else. Movie, animated Aquilonia, prose stories - they all fit into one category - and that is pastiche. There is only "one" bible of Conan and that is the Sprague-less unedited Conan stories in the 3 Del Rey books. The stories in those books are the official canon. Malmberg would tell you that.

Sprague did a lot to market Conan and Howard but his work is still pastiche and non-canon. Malmberg is also doing a lot to market Conan and Howard. But his Hyborian Age world will also be pastiche and non-Canon.

You can't be considered original (canon) 30+ years after the idea.
“Crom and his devils!”
Old Bear
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:20 am
Location: A cave somewhere in Siberia
Contact:

Postby Old Bear » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Strom wrote:I agree with Axerules - there is Howard and then there is everyone else. Movie, animated Aquilonia, prose stories - they all fit into one category - and that is pastiche. There is only "one" bible of Conan and that is the Sprague-less unedited Conan stories in the 3 Del Rey books. The stories in those books are the official canon. Malmberg would tell you that.

Sprague did a lot to market Conan and Howard but his work is still pastiche and non-canon. Malmberg is also doing a lot to market Conan and Howard. But his Hyborian Age world will also be pastiche and non-Canon.

You can't be considered original (canon) 30+ years after the idea.
When you own the rights you can make anything canon that you want to. That's a reality I had to come to terms with 4 years ago.
Old Bear

Ted Chang, don't you know. And I'm not a moderator any more so don't even think about moaning to me.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests