Chasm of Doom - Unplayable

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
santherus
Cub

Chasm of Doom - Unplayable

Postby santherus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Hello there - first time on the forums.

Just received COD and am not happy - played a good chunk of the book, only to get stuck at section 129, which doesn't lead to the correct location.

Additionally, the whole 'select your equipment' section is missing after the blurb about Mind over Matter. Only realised this when playing for a while... What badge of Rank? Meals? Lucky I have the Sommersword or I'd have no weapons either...

I've come into the reprints a little late, so I'm not sure of the procedure for this sort of thing - what happens next: do I get reimbursed, or (preferably) receive a replacement?

There is no clear guidance on the site as to who I should contact re: a cutomer service issue such as this. Help? :cry:
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm

You can e-mail sales, but it is russel who would deal with it.

Yes, the process seems to have been in the past a replacement book.

And yes, I see the equipment section is cut very short :(
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 pm

beowuuf wrote:You can e-mail sales, but it is russel who would deal with it.

Yes, the process seems to have been in the past a replacement book.

And yes, I see the equipment section is cut very short :(
Alright, I seem to have failed to notice the problem with book 2 so could anyone who spotted it tell me what it is? :p I was hoping we'd seen the last of the printing errors, didn't want them to become a running joke :(.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
santherus
Cub

Postby santherus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 am

... well, after the blurb about mind over matter, there usually about 2/3 pages of 'heres a bunch of equipment that you can take with you, and here - have some gold'.

This is missing from the new book - should someone not have played the previous novels, then they'll blithely be sent on their way with no weapons, meals, gold, etc.

Additionally, when plodding through some mines, in section 129 I'm asked to turn to section 309 in which I suddenly have my troops back with me, despite them being killed/escaping from Eshnar (so I'm assuming the wrong section). Not found any other issues.

What with the missing bits and the wrong section, I've stopped playing the collectors edition for now!
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm

santherus wrote:Additionally, when plodding through some mines, in section 129 I'm asked to turn to section 309 in which I suddenly have my troops back with me, despite them being killed/escaping from Eshnar (so I'm assuming the wrong section). Not found any other issues.
Some are slain escaping from Eshnar. Some survive. In the original gamebook some survived Eshnar (and it was clearly written that way).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
Mac V
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

So

Postby Mac V » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm

So, has ANY of the books hit the streets without print issues? I feel bad for you Mega deal guys. Paying all that money and having to be editors too. I'll take my standard action. Sit back and wait for the problems get ironed out before I buy....

Seems like tey would make more cash without the added printings.
BlackCat
Banded Mongoose

Postby BlackCat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm

santherus wrote:
Additionally, when plodding through some mines, in section 129 I'm asked to turn to section 309 in which I suddenly have my troops back with me, despite them being killed/escaping from Eshnar (so I'm assuming the wrong section). Not found any other issues.
On the PA edition of book 4, section 129 leads to 309. So either this section has been rewritten for the new edition (and creates the inconsistency that you lose your soldiers but get them back later without explanation, which would be an error on Joe's part) or either section 309 is simply the wrong section that has been printed under that number because there's no mention of your men in section 309 of the PA edition (which would be an error on Mongoose's part). In the first case, I seem to remember that the orginal edition of the book in the 1980s had a similar inconsistency of losing then getting back your soldiers.
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Hmm, my original sparrow books has that section 309 different with you meeting the mining cardt, but the destinations after are the same

A reworked section might be missing the other reworked sections around it? Does the men in a boat bit match up anywhere else?
garose74
Cub

Postby garose74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 pm

This is getting beyond a joke, that’s three out of four books that now have to be replaced. Well-done Mongoose!!

Here’s an idea, Why don’t you ask some of your regular’s and also ask the Guys over at Project Aon if they would like to proof read the new books before they go to print?

I know that this isn’t a new suggestion, but I think is one worth seriously looking at. Let’s face it, if this carries on you will loose custom. I for one am getting annoyed with the price hike of the books because of your cock up’s. How you’ve got the cheek to charge us £11 on your web site but still have £9.95 printed on the back of the books is beyond me, I hope there’s a refund coming, but I doubt it.

When I found out that the Lone Wolf books were being reprinted and the last books in the series would also see the light of day, I was so excited that not only could I have a new hardback copy of each book that I could read and enjoy again, but I could then pass down these wonderful story’s to my children instead of them sitting in front of a TV playing computer games.

I can’t fault the way that the replacements are being sent out once the mistakes are found but come on, Sort it out!
Xex
Mongoose

Postby Xex » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Wow! :shock:

Seriously, I don'tthink its too much to ask to have 2 people in the office print out the entire book,play through it multiple times and then send it to printers once a month. They could spot errors that way.
FailedSpotCheck
Banded Mongoose

Postby FailedSpotCheck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Very disappointing. :?
I have the 1st book, but am fearful of what will happen once I open it up (whether bad binding, or bad editing).
I will probably just sell my CE copy of FftD.
Roll! Reflex Save vs. Flying 55mm Countdown Die of Death!
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 pm

It's a mistake, but not as bad as you think.

In the Beaver Books edition, Section 241 and 129 lead to Section 309. The same is true in the Mongoose edition.

However - in the Mongoose edition Section 309 assumes your men are still with you. If you came from Section 241, this is correct.

In the Beaver edition Section 309 assumes your men are dead whcih is correct if you come from Section 129.

Both books are wrong! In the Mongoose version you can have men magically appear, and in the Beaver one they magically disappear!

If you believe in yin and yang then the two errors do balance it out, but it could have been fixed by having the paragraph about your men dying in Section 241.

I haven't played the book yet (I was savouring that until the weekend) but you are correct about the Equipment.

So that's the Equipment page, D'Vals action chart and the columns for the print that are wrong. I think we can let Mongoose off about the Section 309 thing as they have tried to mend the original mistake, but ended up making another one.
garose74
Cub

Postby garose74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I don't blame you FailedSpotCheck.

Hay Mongoose, how about an official responce on what your doing to stop these problems before you lose all of your Lone Wolf customers.
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm

WritingWolf wrote:It's a mistake, but not as bad as you think.

In the Beaver Books edition, Section 241 and 129 lead to Section 309. The same is true in the Mongoose edition.

However - in the Mongoose edition Section 309 assumes your men are still with you. If you came from Section 241, this is correct.

In the Beaver edition Section 309 assumes your men are dead whcih is correct if you come from Section 129.

Both books are wrong! In the Mongoose version you can have men magically appear, and in the Beaver one they magically disappear!

If you believe in yin and yang then the two errors do balance it out, but it could have been fixed by having the paragraph about your men dying in Section 241.

I haven't played the book yet (I was savouring that until the weekend) but you are correct about the Equipment.
There are never any numbers mentioned. The size of the unit is never specified and often when men die you are not told how many of them perish. Leaving Eshnar gives the impression that they've all died, but when you have them again you get the impression that there were some survivors who simply haven't been mentioned at all for the last few sections (a bit awkward, that).

Then some more die (an unspecified ammount) and then finaly the last few perish.

It's something like that.
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 pm

Reading through the Beaver and Mongoose sections, the reason for the error is still because Mongoose have added the section about the men dying in the boat - purely because one of the ways to reach Section 309 is via a boat with your men in, and in the Beaver edition they suddenly vanish.

However, Mongoose have messed up a bit as now Section 129 and Section 157 lead to Section 309, and both 129 and 157 have assumed your men are already dead, as you must have come from Eshnar to reach those sections.
Mac V
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Trust Us

Postby Mac V » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Hay Mongoose, how about an official responce on what your doing to stop these problems before you lose all of your Lone Wolf customers.
"trust us, they look better in person".

Oh, sorry, that was Battlefield Evo. :D

Sorry to say I was listening to a pod cast the other day about recent releases in RPG's, and the commentators refused to even talk about Mon goose due to all the quality issues. You would think someone would get the hint already over there. If not, I'll make it plain. HIRE EDITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
True Bull
Shrew

Postby True Bull » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:40 am

Finished it yesterday. I didn't bother going to Eshnar so all my rangers basically either had to walk home, fell off bridges or into holes. Silly beggars. I have always thought LW would look v. cool in Gourgaz hide boots but the option is not there to pick them up. I usually put them down on the action sheet anyway and get them altered in Holmgard.

Has the Alether you pick up in the mines always just been +2CS? I will need to check the original book tonight.

I must admit I didn't notice the lack of equipment when I started.
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

I notice section 209 is much expanded about the river trip than the previous sections, perhaps to give better flavour that the previous links which were 'if you wish to abandon the boat and carry on by foot, go to 309' to shoehorn the choice into the other walking choices

As said, this messes up the non-boat choices

The laether was always +2CS, only kalte has the uber-alether
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Trust Us

Postby Yogah of Yag » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:17 am

Mac V wrote:
"trust us, they look better in person".

Oh, sorry, that was Battlefield Evo. :D

Sorry to say I was listening to a pod cast the other day about recent releases in RPG's, and the commentators refused to even talk about Mon goose due to all the quality issues. You would think someone would get the hint already over there. If not, I'll make it plain. HIRE EDITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Is that podcast publically available? I may like to listen in if it's on the Intrawebs someplace. :)
santherus
Cub

Additional Errata for Chasm of Doom

Postby santherus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Noticed another minor problem (don't have the book/reference with me though): when travelling to Ruanon, and camping in the shadow of some ruins, you get the choice of attacking or attempting to capture alive the people (that turn out to be priests) living there.

If you capture them alive, you are directed to the correct section, but it contains text about searching their bodies... at which point you then apologise to them and move on!

I believe the mini adventure character sheet issues have already been found, so I won't re-detail them here.