Beyond the Rim

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
cthol24601
Mongoose

Beyond the Rim

Postby cthol24601 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:56 am

Just curious what, in the B5 fluff, it is. ie is it a metaphor of another dimension are the Vorlons et al physically traveling to another galaxy?
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 am

The Rim book explains what it is in terms of the RPG line that essentally it means beyond the galaxy.

If you take the show strictly and nothing else, it seems to indicate that its beyond the galaxy since I think it was that episode where we see the Explorer class and its captain said that he was exploring the Rim. So presumably it means that beyond that is the vast nothing of the void between galaxies.
"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:05 am

see voyager for eg:

there could be a blackness between Galaxies, but since we never see it in the show its the GM's choice to expand our galaxy...
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”
“Then grab your gun and bring in the cat,”

All painting Work on my photobucket is copywrite Derina Ramsey please ask if you wish to use.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:39 pm

In the original series, wasn't it also used as a term for the edge of known/explored space?

I think in the first season, humans used the term Rim to mean Rim of explored space, while the other races (Minbari particularly) used it to mean the rim of the galaxy. In later seasons, the Minbari definition seemed to be the "standard" one used by all races.

But, what is beyond the rim of the galaxy worth exploring? There is a lot of nothing out there, no stars, no planets.

Of course, I don't have the Rim book, so I could be wrong...
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:52 pm

You would be. ;)

Any WHY don't you have The Rim book yet? *waggles finger* Just kidding...

...or am I? 8)

-Bry
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:05 pm

its a good book, in colour.
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”

All painting Work on my photobucket is copywrite Derina Ramsey please ask if you wish to use.
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby tneva82 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:But, what is beyond the rim of the galaxy worth exploring?
Brand new Galaxy for your playground?
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

You can't be friend with everybody but you can be friendly to everybody
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 pm

tneva82 wrote:
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:But, what is beyond the rim of the galaxy worth exploring?
Brand new Galaxy for your playground?
as long as it is not chocolate
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”

Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Sorry folks, but what is beyond the galaxy is 2,000,000 light years of NOTHING. THEN you get to the next galaxy. (yes, I know there are dwarf galaxies closer, but they don't have the metalicity to have habitable planets, so no life).

Given that Earth to Epsilon Eridani takes several days, it would take many many centuries to reach Andromeda Galaxy. Maybe the Vorlons are that patient, but not us mortals.
You can call me Sir.
cthol24601
Mongoose

Postby cthol24601 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Well its why I wondered if it was being used a metaphor to mean the next plane of existence or something since whay would they even find in another galaxy besides more of what they have in the milky way. The rim seems to be a word like border that means different things in diffent contexts.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Although not what he meant mostly in the series, JMS has described the B5 actors that have passed on as having "gone beyond the Rim." In that usage, it becomes metaphor.
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:41 am

Mongoose Steele wrote:
You would be. ;)

Any WHY don't you have The Rim book yet? *waggles finger* Just kidding...

...or am I? 8)

-Bry
Are you kidding? :P

Anyway I think going far beyond the Rim is not really for the Younger Races... more like something for the First Ones to do as the galaxy had become too small for them.
Gabriel_Luna
Banded Mongoose

Postby Gabriel_Luna » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 pm

My impression was always that the "Rim" was sort of a split metaphor. For the younger races, it's the extent of the jumpgate network, the "rim of the known galaxy" in other words. In the episode w/ Captain...Maynard? Sheridan's friend who captained the Explorer-class vessel...anyway, in that episode, he said he just got back from "the new Rim", because they'd been building jumpgates and mapping territory beyond the known. So to humans, it seems the Rim refers mainly to pushing beyond the gate network and seeing what's out there.

Lorien, on the other hand, specifically said something about "the dark between galaxies", if I recall correctly. So to HIM, going "beyond the Rim" really meant leaving the galaxy entirely.

So based purely on the show, I think that's what it means. However, that makes sense to me, because Lorien has a much broader perspective than the younger races he's seen with, so there's no reason his definition of "the edge of known space" should be the same as a human's.
"Why not," said Ford, "go mad?"
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:43 pm

you mean "Stinky" and "Swamp rat"
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”

Timestheus
Stoat

Postby Timestheus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm

To me the 'beyond the Rim' has to be a metaphor. As someone else stated there is nothing in the waste dark between galaxies. It is a vacuum that makes space within a galaxy look crowded.

Further it would be pointless to go to another galaxy. Assuming our galaxy is not special the Ancients would get there to find a place different in the little waqys but the same in the big ways. There would be younger and older races, planets that are different in details but the same in types.

What would be the point really?

It would make more sense that the Ancients were travelling to another plane of existance. Though I would suggest that they avoid the one that the Thirdspace aliens reside within.
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Though I would suggest that they avoid the one that the Thirdspace aliens reside within.
That is assuming they only have one dimension.

Heh heh heh...
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 am

Mongoose Steele wrote:
Though I would suggest that they avoid the one that the Thirdspace aliens reside within.
That is assuming they only have one dimension.

Heh heh heh...
Don't you try and frighten us with those sorcerous ways of yours Lord Steele :P

I got Thirdspace so I don't need to scratch my head about that comment :lol:
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Don't be too proud of this technological last, best hope you've constructed. The ability to unite the young races is insignificant next to the power of the Harbingers.
Don't you try and frighten us with those sorcerous ways of yours Lord Steele
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Timestheus wrote:To me the 'beyond the Rim' has to be a metaphor. As someone else stated there is nothing in the waste dark between galaxies. It is a vacuum that makes space within a galaxy look crowded.

Further it would be pointless to go to another galaxy. Assuming our galaxy is not special the Ancients would get there to find a place different in the little waqys but the same in the big ways. There would be younger and older races, planets that are different in details but the same in types.

What would be the point really?

It would make more sense that the Ancients were travelling to another plane of existance. Though I would suggest that they avoid the one that the Thirdspace aliens reside within.
Well, there are some galaxies that would be more interesting than ours. Two galaxies in the process of merging might be interesting. So would active galaxies. Not everything is the same, but the TIME to get there is so immense, I'm not sure why they would want to.

Alternate dimensions now, that could be interesting...
You can call me Sir.
Vortex
Mongoose

Postby Vortex » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm

That does make sense but it is also entirely possible that there actually is something between the galaxies that we just don't know about and don't understand. Especially if ancients have been going there since the beginning. Even if there originally was just empty space there, billions of years worth of ancients from a thousand galaxies could have made virtually anything there.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a headache" Motto of the Psi Corps' Science Department