Paperback?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Postby RatedRWolf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:37 am

msprange wrote:We'll be covering this, at least in part, in the forthcoming State of the Mongoose - you'll also get a good look at what has been happening behind the scenes.
I hope there will be good news... 3 years and a half have passed since they were announced, I think it's time to unveil exactly what's going on and if Mongoose is really planning to publish these editions before we become too old to read them! ;)
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Postby RatedRWolf » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm

msprange wrote:We'll be covering this, at least in part, in the forthcoming State of the Mongoose - you'll also get a good look at what has been happening behind the scenes.
So what abut softocover editions then? Have I missed any news?
Ningauble
Weasel

Postby Ningauble » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:19 pm

RatedRWolf wrote:
So what abut softocover editions then? Have I missed any news?
Matt did say "forthcoming" -- I interpreted that as referring to the forthcoming (December) issue of Signs & Portents.
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Postby RatedRWolf » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 am

Now that some months have passed, are there any news about paperbacks? :)
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Postby RatedRWolf » Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Some kind of reply should be appreciated. ;)
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm

As soon as we have news, you chaps will be the first to know!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Re: Paperback?

Postby RatedRWolf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 am

Another four months without any news... are you still trying to find a way to sell paperback editions or has this project just been closed? Just to know guys...
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 pm

As soon as we have news, you chaps will be the first to know!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
sarevok
Cub

Postby sarevok » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm

is this some kind of running gag ? :lol:
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am

Looks like :)

Seriously, we will be doing paperbacks, but it won't be this year. We _are_ looking at doing a limited run (specifically for you chaps here on the forums!) of them, but let us get 2011 out of the way and we'll take a proper look at it.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
RatedRWolf
Weasel

Postby RatedRWolf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 am

msprange wrote: let us get 2011 out of the way and we'll take a proper look at it.
Yes, let us leave apart the fact that we spoke about these products in 2007 and 4 years have passed... But everything is surely going to change next year, isn't it? :lol:

Come on guys, if you aren't able to afford such a project, you're perfectly understandable, and the last Mega-Deal offers can be attractive for many fans who have not been able to purchase all books until now, but don't make fun of our intelligence, please.
beowuuf
Banded Mongoose

Postby beowuuf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 am

I'm still not sure why anyone on this forum is still bumping about paperbacks. The paperbacks are surely the means to mass distribution to people who do not know LW, or vaguely remember it from their childhood. The current releases from Mongoose are for the fans, and certainly the means to both gauge winder interest and fund the 'big push'

The paperbacks represent, I have to imagine, a SIGNIFICANT investment of resources, bring with them all forms of pressure from large scale distributors like Amazon, and have to be perfect. They will be given - I imagine a large international distribution and therefore could still, if the climate is wrong, be a thing that is returned to Mongoose in crippling numbers and represent a significant financial loss.

I wonder what's been happening over four years that might make this an uncertain prospect? Recession? The fall of many high street book chains? Printed media versus digital distributoon channels? It sounds like the odds on what is a gamble anyone have increased. I have a friend that was goign to sell their home in 2008. They are now thinking of selling it in 2012. Were they just lazy or lying? No, they tried everything, poured money and time in to redoing the house again and again, and basically have had to live with the consequences of the current economic enviromnet.

I'm glad no firm announcement has been made on the paperbacks. Am I sad there's no positive one? Of course. But to wish that we'd hear something negative is ludicrous. An announcement that the paperbacks are dead is an announcement of Mongoose is giving up trying to mass market Lone Wolf, and giving it fresh life as it had back in the glory days of the 80s when gamebooks were huge. It's probably the death knell of the franchise, meaning there would not be widespread enough interest to push a film, a game, and further books.

While Mongoose has hope of establishing a paperback distribution, and while they are committed to doing it right for widespread scrutiny, I still have hope that the franchise will keep having new life through a new generation of fans, and even a new demographic of fans.

I was introduced to the series throguh a friend who had them, and read a few. But I only became a hardcore fan myself when I saw one of the books I recognised a few years later in my local papershop, bought it, and then managed to keep buying them in bookshops until I had the set. And then, my interest was rekindled years later when by chance I saw the first of the GM series in a general shop. These days, we might have different methods, but the mechanism of getting new fans is not much different. The hardcore fans might know where to look for news of new books and buy then directly, and we can certainly keep a franchise afloat for a while, but the real audience that can give long term support to a an expanding franchise has to be the wider, casual audience.

It's nice to see they are also considering an internal small print run for the hardcore fans, but I don't think that is ever what the paperbacks were about. If that's all that becomes, in the end, then while people on this board might be happy, I will be sad, because it means Lone Wolf hasn't managed to reach the potential it should.

In summary, I understand no news is good news. I'm happy with a 2012 commitment to push the paperbacks once more, and I hope the general buzz around the game, the boardgame, and the attention Lone Wolf still generates (I heard it namedropped in a gaming podcast recently by someone who recalls the old series fondly but never went backto it) becomes something concrete and swelling.
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Did anyone watch the Gadget Show when Ortis and the Suzi had to make an e-book out of an old classic story?

Just your comment about the kindle made me think that LW is ideal for this.

Ok you have sections - read "links" in the kindle, not sure how that would work with turning the page, but I'm sure it can be solved.

But it's the random number table, and action chart, which will fit well. The action chart will be permenatly there, so no flicking back and forth, a button to calculate the random number for you! Even the battles can be done with the machine working combat ratio, score etc.

Also we can have fully colour maps, it would be nice if they plotted your route too as I enjoy that sort of thing.

I know the paperbacks may have been once the goal, but perhaps e-books with the full interaction could work? Projactaon already have links which load up well- could they not be adapted? And the interactive sections would really make LW stand out.

It would even make my buy a kindle :D
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 am

I believe there is a plan in motion to put LW on Kindle (not by us though). On the other hand, I can confirm that the Multiplayer game books _will_ go up on Kindle, as soon as we can finalise the formatting.

Oh, and Dragons of Lencia is already there :)

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Lencia-Le ... 888&sr=1-1
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
August1
Banded Mongoose

Postby August1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:28 pm

That's excellent news, Matthew. I can't wait to see the Rise of the Agarashi book on Kindle as well. I've been promising friends around here I'd get them a Kindle copy for Christmas if it comes out soon enough.

Any word on that and on a possible release date on the Multiplayer Gamebooks?

-A
Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Excellent news indeed. Does that Kindle release announce that the productions of Sand & Sorrow and The Shadow and the Skull are about to be initiated? I'm so impatient to read those sequels...
OldMongooseFordy
Mongoose

Postby OldMongooseFordy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Zorkaan wrote:Does that Kindle release announce that the productions of Sand & Sorrow and The Shadow and the Skull are about to be initiated? I'm so impatient to read those sequels...
Afraid not. :(
August1
Banded Mongoose

Postby August1 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am

As Fordy notes there, that's sadly not what that means.

The door is not closed to it, however; we will have to wait and see. As always, thank you very much for the interest!

-A
Zorkaan
Stoat

Postby Zorkaan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 am

Well, let's hope together! I'm so happy that the door is not closed!
WritingWolf
Banded Mongoose

Postby WritingWolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

That all sounds good - of couse I have no idea how much my suggestions would cost (and for colour you'd need the Kindle Fire) but I know i'd go for it! Heck I'm even thinking about it now just to get the novels on Kindle to go with the hardbacks!

How will the multiplayer work?