Corruption & Sorcery?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Elements Warden
Shrew

Corruption & Sorcery?

Postby Elements Warden » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:30 am

Besides Contacy with Demons, Evil Gods & corrupt Socerers ... How does one get corruption?

How many per occurance?

Do magic Items gain you corruption? How much?

I looked this stuff up on 189 in the Atlantean Ed. but it did not seem clear to me.

Thanks for the help. :oops:
Elements Warden
Shrew

Postby Elements Warden » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Anyone? :?:
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:39 am

One can easily get corrupted by having too many drinks and accidentally walking into a gay leather bar in San Francisco. Fate points will not remedy the pounding throb you will feel in your posterior. Big time corruption points and loss of cool.
Sutek
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Sutek » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:18 am

On a serious note...

I play that characters can get corruption by doing evil things, like commiting murder or doing something that really violates societal norms. I don't apply the mutations unless it's corruption gained from something sorcerous or deamonic. Jowever, even though you don't see the outward effects of this corruprion right away, exposure to that Deamon Jewel in th eSorcerer's cave could lead to some intersting problems for you...

The RAW garners corruption only in the circumstances you mentioned.

I think it's a bit vague and open to interpretation on purpose so that you, as a GM, can toss out a poit now and again to keep the characters worried, particularly those who don't have Codes of Honor to violate.
AE Errata Thread
"Occam's razor makes the cutting clean..."
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Check out this thread where Turim lists the sources of Corruption. Read his post, it's quite good.
Elements Warden
Shrew

Postby Elements Warden » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 am

Trodax wrote:Check out this thread where Turim lists the sources of Corruption. Read his post, it's quite good.
That is just what I was looking for.

Thank you both for your replies.
Prof.Dogg
Stoat

Corruption and insanity

Postby Prof.Dogg » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Anyone got an opinion on how Corruption should fit into the Insanity rules from Unearthed Arcana (i.e. the d20 Call of Cthulhu rules)? I'm trying to write up some not-so-cumbersome rules to handle Cthulhu cults in Hyborea. I'll post what I come up when it's complete but would like to see if anyone else has anything to compare.
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:04 pm

I have designed a few Cthuluoid cults for my Hyborian campaign. I treat them like Mystery religions, and each new Mystery calls for a Corruption save - but in this case, instead of the Corruption manifesting itself primarily physically, it manifests as more as insanity from CoC.
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Turim's response to my thread was great. As a result, given that Corruption only occurs from (1) a few specific magical actions (i.e., not most sorcery), (2) some peaceful interactions with evil, and (3) some VERY esoteric circumstances (last 3 on Turim's list), and given that I really don't have PC sorcerers in Conan, I can readily ignore Corruption which is nice to keep things more simple.
Prof.Dogg
Stoat

Postby Prof.Dogg » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:28 am

VincentDarlage wrote:I have designed a few Cthuluoid cults for my Hyborian campaign. I treat them like Mystery religions, and each new Mystery calls for a Corruption save - but in this case, instead of the Corruption manifesting itself primarily physically, it manifests as more as insanity from CoC.
You wouldn't be willing to post what you have, would you?

Honestly Vincent, I figure your stuff is as much canon as what Mongoose officially prints...

BTW much obliged on the Skelos cult material. After a long day of trying to cram a week's worth of homework into my one day off this week and trying to get my youngest to eat something without sugar, that brought a little smile to my day... Sort of like getting a little easter egg in the middle of October...
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:19 am

Prof.Dogg wrote: Honestly Vincent, I figure your stuff is as much canon as what Mongoose officially prints...
If not more... :)

W, fan boy.
Last edited by warzen on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:24 am

You all got it wrong, boys: Vincent IS Conan Mongoose...
I talk to planets, baby.
Bjorn the Barbarian
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bjorn the Barbarian » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:51 pm

That's for sure! :D
Bjorn the Barbarian
Leader of the Aesirian Free Company
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:37 am

Prof.Dogg wrote:
VincentDarlage wrote:I have designed a few Cthuluoid cults for my Hyborian campaign. I treat them like Mystery religions, and each new Mystery calls for a Corruption save - but in this case, instead of the Corruption manifesting itself primarily physically, it manifests as more as insanity from CoC.
You wouldn't be willing to post what you have, would you?
Yeah, that would be great to see...
Who dies first?