Some errors about the Kalkoth

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Nyxator
Stoat

Some errors about the Kalkoth

Postby Nyxator » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:36 pm

While reading the bestiary of the LWRPG, I noticed some errors regarding the Kalkoth: the text says they have four venomous fangs, but in gamebook 3 we are told: "The *barb of a Kalkoth's tongue* holds a powerful venom".

Besides, from gamebook 5: "Had it not been for Banedon's timely casting of a spell of illusion, they would be after you still. You cannot help but laugh when you picture their faces, when they saw the Kalkoth leaping at them; thank the gods they did not think to question how a *Kalte ice-beast* came to be roaming the streets of their town".
Instead, in the bestiary they are described as living in many caverns of Magnamund.

Finally, their description doesn't match with the one given in the gamebooks (nor with the picture: http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect147.htm), and the plural should be Kalkoth, not Kalkoths. :)
Sorry for the nitpicking. :D
Eternalknight
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Eternalknight » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:52 pm

This probably is due to the same reasons August explained in the Dentaag thread.

Also, the Environment section of the Kalkoth states "Underground, usually cold." I'm guessing its not limited to Kalte so that Lone Wolf GMs can use them freely anywhere if they wish.
Coming soon: Adventurer, Solo Roleplaying Game

www.adventuregamesguild.com
August
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby August » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:04 pm

EK is correct on both counts.

-A
"This is a blanket apology to every god I can think of and all the ones I don't know. I have no idea what I did or in which life I did it, but I am really sorry. Ummm, my bad."
Nyxator
Stoat

Postby Nyxator » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Eternalknight wrote:This probably is due to the same reasons August explained in the Dentaag thread.

Ok, let's suppose that in Joe Dever's notes there are different versions of the Kalkoth (or Dentaag which, BTW, appear as large insectoids in two gamebooks). Why choose the one that is inconsistent with the gamebooks? :?
Reginald de Curry
Stoat

Postby Reginald de Curry » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Lone Wolf only met a Kalkoth (or two, or three) in Kalte; he may not have realized they existed elsewhere. Banedon might have encountered them in other lands, otherwise he might have summoned a different creature's illusion.
How to use the Sommerswerd in the Archery Contest
Lone Wolf: "Look what I can do!" *chops Altan's leg off*
Altan: "AAAAAAAAA!!! AAAAAAAA!!! AAAAAAA!!!"
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:53 pm

The Kalkoth illustration in Book 3 doesn't have 6 legs. Why does the LWRPH bestiary say that Kalkoth have 6 legs?
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby columbob » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Balgin Stondraeg wrote:The Kalkoth illustration in Book 3 doesn't have 6 legs. Why does the LWRPH bestiary say that Kalkoth have 6 legs?
Possibly because that was in Joe Dever's notes, and Gary Chalk used artistic license when he drew the picture. August Hahn had access to all of JD's notes on Magnamund, and occasionnally there were conflicting information, depending on the source (gamebooks, newsletters, JD's notes).
Up the Irons!
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 pm

columbob wrote:
Balgin Stondraeg wrote:The Kalkoth illustration in Book 3 doesn't have 6 legs. Why does the LWRPH bestiary say that Kalkoth have 6 legs?
Possibly because that was in Joe Dever's notes, and Gary Chalk used artistic license when he drew the picture. August Hahn had access to all of JD's notes on Magnamund, and occasionnally there were conflicting information, depending on the source (gamebooks, newsletters, JD's notes).
Yeah but I've got a pair of beautiful Kalkoth miniatures (really old Citadel temple dog/lion things from their oriental army list) and they've only got four legs so I'm sticking with them for now :).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.