The Blue East: Maps, maps, maps!

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
thulsa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

The Blue East: Maps, maps, maps!

Postby thulsa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Maps galore! From Vincent N. Darlage comes almost a dozen excellent maps of the Blue East, based on the essay of Dale E. Rippke.

http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/index.htm#regional

Enjoy!

- thulsa

The Hyborian Age d20 Campaign Site
http://hyboria.xoth.net/

The Spider-God's Bride and Other Tales
http://xoth.net/publishing/xp1/
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Great !!

Vincent, do you have a map of this quality for the western part of the world ?

W.
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Fantastic.

Too bad I have no color printer.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
merkkari-masa
Stoat

Postby merkkari-masa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm

cool! thanks
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:53 pm

OK guys, this obviously kicks large bootie. Thank you for doing this and sharing it! :D

And yes; when will we see the rest of the world?
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:10 pm

Nice! Can you put those in an easy-to-download zip file?
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:39 am

Totally awesome as usual guys.
Darlage & Thulsa rock!
I talk to planets, baby.
librarycharlie
Stoat

Postby librarycharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Thulsa, these look great, and I'm getting ready to send my party eastward. I'd LOVE to get a merged map of these areas because they've all got the more traditional maps from the book.

It could be a lot of fun to have them go eastward only to find that NOTHING is where they thought it was.

I do have access to a color printer, and these separate maps look good. I'd just like an "east of the Vilayet" compilation I can merge to a western map for a whole new world.
windman
Banded Mongoose

Postby windman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:36 pm

these maps are truly the quality that conan rpg fans deserve, and this is what mongoose should be publishing.

thank you Vincent and Thulsa. I hope you have maps for the whole of Hyboria on their way.
For all his dark ferocity, Booya has a very happy soul, he revels in his feedom and displays a child-like glee of simple pleasures. He may rip out your liver and eat it before you dying eyes if you cross him, but a he enjoys a happy birdsong.
Bjorn the Barbarian
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bjorn the Barbarian » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Excellent! :)
Bjorn the Barbarian
Leader of the Aesirian Free Company
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:24 pm

warzen wrote:Vincent, do you have a map of this quality for the western part of the world ?.
No, I never really thought the known part of the world was necessary until recently. I made maps of most of the Black Kingdoms.

As far as the Western world, I did make a map of Cimmeria today, though. I sent it to thulsa. We shall see if he opts to make it available or not.
Maitete
Cub

Postby Maitete » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:49 pm

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Darlage's or Rippke's work, but I prefer the look of the world map from the front and back cover of the 1st edition book. I'm sure it has some inaccuracies, but how many players actually notice that kind of thing in the heat of adventure? Maybe mine are just less Conan-iphile than most.

Is it blasphemy to say that since it's a fantasy world, a bit of artistic license is acceptable? Does anyone know if there are such glaring inconsistencies that I'm going to run into trouble without the ability to adjust as I run my campaign? There does seem to be quite a big difference in both placement and size of Khitai, just from casual observation.
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Maitete wrote:I'm sure it has some inaccuracies, but how many players actually notice that kind of thing in the heat of adventure?

Most would not. I doubt most of my players have ever really looked at the map.
Maitete wrote:Is it blasphemy to say that since it's a fantasy world, a bit of artistic license is acceptable?
Artistic license is not only acceptable, but fun.
Maitete wrote:Does anyone know if there are such glaring inconsistencies that I'm going to run into trouble without the ability to adjust as I run my campaign?
No, not really. Most of the pastiches were done with the map as it was shown for 1st Edition. The only real issues are the location of Zamboula, and that Xuthal is shown in a forest, and Xuchotl in a desert (when the reverse is the case). You can get along just fine with the 1st Edition map. I just like making maps and sharing them, is all. If an accurate map can be made, why not make it?

I could be wrong, but I think Dale wanted to see if it could be done. It obviously can. His work inspired me. My hope is that someone with real cartographic skills can make a beautiful and artistic map out of the maps I make.
Maitete
Cub

Postby Maitete » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 am

Thanks for the reply!

I actually enjoy creating maps as well, and am impressed by yours. I just happen to like the watercolor, hand-drawn look better. If anyone's seen the maps from the Eberron D&D setting, those are gorgeous! If only we could get your accuracy and attention to detail with the artistic appeal of the 1st edition map.
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 am

Is the new map of Cimmeria more detailed than what is in RoK?
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:06 am

Yogah of Yag wrote:Is the new map of Cimmeria more detailed than what is in RoK?
If you are referring to the one I made today, then yes, IMHO it is.
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm

VincentDarlage wrote:
Yogah of Yag wrote:Is the new map of Cimmeria more detailed than what is in RoK?
If you are referring to the one I made today, then yes, IMHO it is.

OOooooo! :D

I'd love to get a look at it!

*pant*
*drool*

:D
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:24 am

DOes teh appearance of these maps mean that we wil get a sourcebook on the Blue East????????
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:27 am

LucaCherstich wrote:DOes teh appearance of these maps mean that we wil get a sourcebook on the Blue East????????
As much as I would like to write sourcebooks on those nations, these maps were actually made as guidelines for the Return to the Road of Kings cartographer(s), largely because I was so unhappy with the original maps (two sets of Karpash mountains in Corinthia, a Nemedia that is too small, an Aquilonia-Ophir border at the Red River instead of the Tybor, a Khitai that is too far north to be jungled, a Poitainian/Rabirian mountain mash-up, mountains around Khauran, etc...).

I have no idea what Mongoose's plans are for future sourcebooks.
Bjorn the Barbarian
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bjorn the Barbarian » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Vincent,

What is wrong with Mongoose just adpoting the maps you and Thulsa have done up for his site and using them in the Conan products? 8)
Bjorn the Barbarian
Leader of the Aesirian Free Company