Robert Jordan Passed Away

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Robert Jordan Passed Away

Postby B_Steele » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Hey all, Robert Jordan...writer of several of the Conan Pastiches...passed away yesterday. I started an R.I.P. post on the General Discussion boards and I know of at least one of his friends/family that come to this forum.

If you have a minute and a kind word, drop it onto the thread.

Thanks guys and gals,
Bry
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Postby Aholibamah » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Well, rest in peace. I have to admit that I didn't read much of him beyond the Conan pastiches--mostly read because they were referred to in the Shadizar set. While I didn't get the same feel from those books as I did from the original Howard stuff they were fun to read.

Robert Jordan had a huge impact on the fantasy genre--it's not possible to go into a public area in my town and not at some point see someone reading one of his books. So hats off, and farewell.
Krushnak
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Krushnak » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:30 pm

the couple of R.Jordan conan pastiches that i read were the in the few that were ok and not the general terrible of the rest. however i did read the wheel of time series and now ill never know how he was going to end it :evil:
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:38 pm

That's terrible news - for more info, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan

Personally I really enjoyed his Conan works.
Krushnak wrote:however i did read the wheel of time series and now ill never know how he was going to end it :evil:
...which is why many years ago I stopped reading series by living authors.
Last edited by slaughterj on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Though I never read his fantasy saga (wheel of time) I considered his Conan contribution as the best pastiche works.
He could create excellent plots and he was one of the few who could keep "his" Conan world in a low fantasy setting.

As far as I am concerned his Conan the triumphant is the best pastiche novel I ever read: it has dark sorcery, demons, complex political intrigues, countries at war and forbidden cults behond the throne. Everything that Howard included in many every Conan stories.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Axerules
Banded Mongoose

Postby Axerules » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:21 pm

R.I.P. Mr Jordan. :(

Only four Conan prose pastiche writers are still alive: John Maddox Roberts, Andrew J. Offutt, Steve Perry and John C. "Emerald" Hocking.

Even if I didn't like all their writings, I wish them a long life !
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:30 pm

Axerules wrote:R.I.P. Mr Jordan. :(

Only four Conan prose pastiche writers are still alive: John Maddox Roberts, Andrew J. Offutt, Steve Perry and John C. "Emerald" Hocking.
When did Roland Green and/or Leonard Carpenter die?
Last edited by VincentDarlage on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:35 pm

VincentDarlage wrote:

When did Roland Green die?
Nothing on his wiki page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_J._Green
librarycharlie
Stoat

Postby librarycharlie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:22 pm

I knew him a bit. I met him at a convention. He drank an entire room of stout men under the table, and gave a speech early the next morning that elicited incredible applause.

He will be missed.
sidkfjjteidlkkf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby sidkfjjteidlkkf » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Godspeed to Eternal Rest Mr. Jordan. Give a fond hello to my Mother and my older sister.

Peace.
John

Hey! What part of Initiative do you not understand!!!! WAITE YOUR TURN...
Auggie
Banded Mongoose

Postby Auggie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:50 am

R.I.P. :(
"And they say I am a barbarian?! Thus far, my time amongst 'civilized' folk has shown me that I am less barbarian than they!" - Tharn Ausonn of Asgard
Axerules
Banded Mongoose

Postby Axerules » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 am

VincentDarlage wrote: When did Roland Green and/or Leonard Carpenter die?
Ooops ! You're right. Same thing as before: even if I didn't like all their writings, long life to them too !
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim
Nagisawa
Stoat

Postby Nagisawa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:12 am

To be honest, I hated what he did to Conan in his pastiche, and I had issues with his portrayal of people in general in Wheel of Time series, which after I realized there was nothing going forward for an entire novel, I stopped reading.

However I will miss his work, even if it was to see the latest covers of one of his books.

Sleep well, and may your tales be never forgotten.
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:46 am

VincentDarlage wrote:

When did Roland Green and/or Leonard Carpenter die?
Not including the most recent authors (which I didn't had the time to read)
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
One Star Under Heaven
Shrew

Postby One Star Under Heaven » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:18 pm

I am currently reading the second trilogy of his Conan stories. I read one of his Conan novels almost two decades ago and really liked it, but could never remember the name. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it was in the first trilogy of Conan stories. I did not think his depiction of Conan was that accurate, but it was a very good attempt and the behaviour of the character made sense. His Conan novels were also easy to convert to gaming adventures, which is also a plus. :twisted:

It is also to his credit to have a series as long as Wheel of Time that many people were still reading.
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:07 pm

One Star Under Heaven wrote:I am currently reading the second trilogy of his Conan stories.
If I recall correctly, while the main 6 Conan novels by Jordan (i.e., not including the 2nd movie novelisation) were most recently packaged in two 3-book sets, those novels were actually 3 separate 2-volume "sets" originally, and the two 3-book sets have them terribly out of order. (I.e., they came out as 6 books, but there were 3 sets of 2, of which each 2 had a chronological order, but got repackaged as 2 sets of 3 and out of order). You may want to confirm this with the Dale Rippke trilogy or otherwise, though at this point, it may be too late to worry about it.
DaveNC
Mongoose

Postby DaveNC » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:27 am

Great fantasty writer. I really liked his Conan stories and read the first 7 or 8 of the Wheel of Time. Fond farewell to him and best wishes to his family. He will be missed.
"The victim's body turned purple and then black, and within a few minutes he sank down dying, and the stench of his own putrefaction was in his nostrils even before death wrenched his soul from his rotting body."
-REH, The Hour of the Dragon
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:10 am

Sad news indeed. I thank him for his stories that I enjoyed reading. God bless his soul and his family and friends. RIP Robert.

All my favorite writers are dead it seems. Except for George RR Martin & Moorcock. Maybe Robert Jordan's work influenced some new writer who will grow to be included in the favorite writers discussion. Mayhap...
“Crom and his devils!”
slaughterj
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby slaughterj » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Strom wrote:Sad news indeed. I thank him for his stories that I enjoyed reading. God bless his soul and his family and friends. RIP Robert.

All my favorite writers are dead it seems. Except for George RR Martin & Moorcock. Maybe Robert Jordan's work influenced some new writer who will grow to be included in the favorite writers discussion. Mayhap...
Interesting that you mention Moorcock, I checked his wiki page and it says there that Elric was an antithesis to Howard's Conan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

Anybody got an explanation for that? Seems more like they are simply different to me.
Krazz
Cub

Postby Krazz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:26 am

Sad indeed to hear about Mr Jordan's death. I found his Conan pastiches to be among the best, and a far better capture of the character of Howard's Conan that most of the writers achieved. May I extend my sympathies to his family and friends.
slaughterj wrote: Interesting that you mention Moorcock, I checked his wiki page and it says there that Elric was an antithesis to Howard's Conan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

Anybody got an explanation for that? Seems more like they are simply different to me.
There's more on this elsewhere on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric#Elri ... stereotype