A Question Of Scale

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
User avatar
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Euless, TX
Contact:

A Question Of Scale

Postby E Nicely » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:08 am

OK, so we know that the miniatures for "A Call to Arms" are going to be full scale and not available until October. I've recently scored on some of the AOG models, I now own a full-scale Mimbari fleet(got it at a great price, too). And the problems with scale as far as the ships being the right size when compared to each other are as bad as I can remember. A White Star is longer than a Sharlin. I used to play Earth Alliance a lot and the scale problems with those ships was even more severe, an Olympus Corvette was almost as big as an Omega.

So my question is will the new Mongoose minis be more in scale to each other? The prototypes probably haven't even begun to be designed yet, but this is something that's bugging me. Anyone in the know care to clue me in?
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
User avatar
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2046
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:41 pm
Location: Glenfarg, SCOTLAND

Re: A Question Of Scale

Postby frobisher » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:55 am

Of course this is exactly why AoG produced the Fleet Action scale in the first place :)

The Excalibur miniature is probably actually close to scale with the FA miniatures (though again they aren't all to a consistent scale, they are scaled better than the Full Scale ones).

As regards the Whitestars, the Fleet Action ones are about right compared to the Sharlin and Omega in full Scale ;)
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
User avatar
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Euless, TX
Contact:

Re: A Question Of Scale

Postby E Nicely » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:19 pm

frobisher wrote:Of course this is exactly why AoG produced the Fleet Action scale in the first place :)

The Excalibur miniature is probably actually close to scale with the FA miniatures (though again they aren't all to a consistent scale, they are scaled better than the Full Scale ones).

As regards the Whitestars, the Fleet Action ones are about right compared to the Sharlin and Omega in full Scale ;)
You are right, the fleet scale models were a lot better with regards to scale, that's why I had fleet-scale fleets as soon as they were released. But alas me and my minis parted ways, now I have some Mimbari models where the Nials and Flyers are almost as big as the Tinashis. :roll: But at least I have some minis, the Sharlins should take a paint job quite well.

Don't have the Excalibur. Damn. :cry: So not as big as the full scale AOG Bin Tak or Warlock then?

Anyway I really hope the rest of the new models address the scale issue.
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
User avatar
frobisher
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2046
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:41 pm
Location: Glenfarg, SCOTLAND

Re: A Question Of Scale

Postby frobisher » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:28 pm

Lowly Uhlan wrote:Don't have the Excalibur. Damn. :cry: So not as big as the full scale AOG Bin Tak or Warlock then?
It should be bigger (6 inches?) but not to scale with them, but it would put it about to scale with the FA Omega (about twice as long) - it's a big ship in the series...
Paddy Sinclair

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead...
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:06 pm

One problem you have with scale is fighters and the capital ships.

Fighters can fit in a cap ship.

I doubt that they could be made using the same scale and be useable.

Sidney
User avatar
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Euless, TX
Contact:

Postby E Nicely » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:20 pm

El Cid wrote:One problem you have with scale is fighters and the capital ships.

Fighters can fit in a cap ship.

I doubt that they could be made using the same scale and be useable.

Sidney
Sure. But they could be a lot smaller, the 6 to a base FA fighters were pretty cool.
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
User avatar
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Euless, TX
Contact:

Re: A Question Of Scale

Postby E Nicely » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:21 pm

frobisher wrote:
Lowly Uhlan wrote:Don't have the Excalibur. Damn. :cry: So not as big as the full scale AOG Bin Tak or Warlock then?
It should be bigger (6 inches?) but not to scale with them, but it would put it about to scale with the FA Omega (about twice as long) - it's a big ship in the series...
I'll have to get me one of those. GenCon SoCal?
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
Enlightened Bystander
Stoat
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:05 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Postby Enlightened Bystander » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:42 pm

The Excalibur is as big as the Full scale warlock in length, according to Agent1
bobbi

They are the same miniatures AOG released!!!!

Postby bobbi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:23 pm

The upcoming B5 minis are the SAME minis that AOG released (but with round bases instead of hex bases).

The Mongoose release has ships are what AOG called full size while the fighters are the fighters that were released for Fleet Action (which made them much closer to the right size for the ships).

As such, the size difficulties between the big ships is exactly the same as it was when AOG sold them. I'd guess its only a matter of time until Mongoose releases the Fleet Action range to get us to buy the same ships again only smaller.

That being said if you want to play with the smaller & much more affordable Fleet Action minis - AOG still has all the ships from both ranges (full size & Fleet Action) for sale on there website NOW!!! (the order page is live)

And the best part is that they are 1/2 the price what Mongoose plans to charge for them.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests