2 ed previews

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Ralph
Stoat

2 ed previews

Postby Ralph » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 pm

Loving the 2 ed previews.
The new border art is excellent, even the square coffee beans around the character sheet.
I will understand why the book may need to be in black & white (coming in at 420 pages), but please tell me it'll be in colour?
Ralph
I can't get my pen to work on screen. How am I supposed to get my signature here?
GlassJaw
Weasel

Postby GlassJaw » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:40 pm

all B&W - thumbs down
unnecessarily gratuitous art on every page - thumbs down

I didn't mind the art layout in the 1ed but the new style is just over the top. I'm not a conservative person by any means but I just don't need that in an RPG rulebook.

These two issues will certainly keep me from buying Conan 2ed.
One Star Under Heaven
Shrew

Postby One Star Under Heaven » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm

I was leaning more toward's Koski's point of view in the Final Decision thread-I have a number of the books, they seem to have everything I need, etc. etc. My thoughts have gone from having a number of doubts about picking up 2nd edition to getting ready to preorder the new corebook. I do like the new border artwork (although it reminds me of Gurps 4th covers for some reason), but the original Frazetta border art was more evocative of the setting and genre.

Very good preview pdf, and I now cannot wait until the release of 2nd edition.

-OSUH
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Oooh, previews! :D

B&W would indeed be a bit of a disappointment. I myself really like the art though!

The character sheet shows that the skill list is exactly the same :( (I was hoping for a condensed list without stupid stuff like Use Rope). However, Knowledge (local) seems to be replaced by Knowledge (rumours) - a great improvement in naming as far as I'm concerned! :)

Defensive Blast seems to be different for different schools of sorcery (Hypnotism gets "Terrible Fascination"). That sounds pretty cool to me (no more "all sorcerers can blow up").
Belkregos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Belkregos » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:19 pm

so...
where are the previews!!? :shock:
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
The Myth of Sisyphus
Ralph
Stoat

Postby Ralph » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:30 pm

I can't get my pen to work on screen. How am I supposed to get my signature here?
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malcadon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:52 pm

WOW! I see each Sorcery Style has it own defensive blast. The new Combat Maneuvers looks cool.

The preview shows new stuff up to page 4 then it is just shows everything we all have seen in the 1st edition. It would have been nice if they put in a page of the new NPCs.

I see that they go to B&W to keep costs down. Most folks will be s***ing bricks and/or kittens over this, but I dint mind as I'm use to this in other game books and most of the Conan art just looks better in B&W. I like the new border and I hope they add some extra new art for this book as it always good to see some new stuff.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I really like the border art - wonder who the artist is? Looks great.

Haven't read any of it yet but it looks good. I can appreciate going b&w to keep the cost reasonable - plus that makes the 1st edition unique as well.

Here's a more direct link for those like me who took awhile figuring out where the previews were:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/ ... ries=Conan

edit: I like the new manoeuvres and their requirements - much better than 1st edition!
8)
“Crom and his devils!”
MGBM
Banded Mongoose

Postby MGBM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Nice preview!

I don't mind if 2ed is in b&w, colour would be nice but it's not colour that will make or break a game, it's its contents. And I have full confidence that 2ed will be a good game.

The border art is very cool and evocative, just the way it's supposed to be.

The only drawback I have is that it seems they recicled much of the art already in existence from other sourcebooks. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to get it.
"When I cannot stand alone, it will be time to die," he mumbled, through mashed lips. "But I'd like a flagon of wine."
- Robert E. Howard "Rogues In The House"
Spectator
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Spectator » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 am

Hmmm, the border art is not as good as the 1st edition, I loved how they melded about 18 different things into the border art, while in the preview all I see is some skulls, a pissed off scholar, and a good looking femal figure, but it doesn't FLOW like the 1ed did. That was done in much more of an 'immuminated manuscript' style.

Doesn't look like much changed in a lot of regrads from the preview, though? Is it really a 2nd edition or a 1.1 edition?
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:24 am

Defensive blasts for each sorcery style and taking in immediate, swift, free actions is greatly approved. Otherwise...well... I don't know what to think. Doesn't look really that it has changed much. I'll wait till I can get hold of a copy and browse it. Skills are at least still the same. I was kind of waiting Move Silently and Hide to be merged in to Stealth, Listen & Spot in to Perception. I think the topless temptress kind of belongs to the genre, though I don't know if my girlfriend would approve it, heh.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Soulmage » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:21 am

Preview looks great to me! I can't wait to pick up my copy at GenCon and run it by my group.

I far prefer the new border art to the old! :)
LucaCherstich
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby LucaCherstich » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

I'm happy there is at least some bestiary in it.
Thus far I had only the pdf version of Conan rpg and never played it.
I was thinking to buy 2nd edition but my main concern was that i had to wait until the bestiary book for some monsters.
I'm happy they kept some monsters there.
I noticed that they add the "Yuetshi" language in the PC sheet.
Yuetshi are the fishermen around the Vilayet. (they appear in "the Devil in Iron").
I hope this means we get also a new race which was lacking in 1st edition.
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:23 am

I must add that Terrible Fascination defensive blast from the preview look quite unoptimal. First, it has will negates and second, its power does not increase with the more power points you spend on it. I don't naturally know what kind of things the other defensive blasts are - but in 1 Ed. the point of defensive blast was that it was more potent the more power points you had left. That Terrible Fascination seems to work just fine if you, for example, spend your last remaining power point on it, with which you could do little anyway.

I don't know if it has been designed that way on purpose.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:23 am

Majestic7 wrote:Skills are at least still the same. I was kind of waiting Move Silently and Hide to be merged in to Stealth, Listen & Spot in to Perception.
I considered this (and we did it with Babylon 5 2nd Edition), but I eventually decided it didn't fit Conan. In B5, I did it because the focus of the game is supposed to be on diplomacy, investigation, deception and so on. Conan is about combat, survival and adventure, and so I kept the original skill list. (Plus, the 1st edition Conan supplements were considerably more rule-heavy than the 1st edition B5 supplements, so changing skills would have required an awful lot more conversions).
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am

GlassJaw wrote:all B&W - thumbs down
Is it possible to have gratuitous anything in Conan?
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Ralph
Stoat

Postby Ralph » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:06 pm

LucaCherstich wrote: I noticed that they add the "Yuetshi" language in the PC sheet.
But Bossonian is curiously still missing.
Majestic7 wrote: I must add that Terrible Fascination defensive blast from the preview look quite unoptimal. First, it has will negates and second, its power does not increase with the more power points you spend on it.
I second this all the way. Although I suppose most sorcerors will have access to more than one style and therefore more than one Defensive Blast.

I'm glad to see more Combat manoeuvres, especially at lower levels, but I don't understand what an immediate action is yet.

Do I really have to wait 2 weeks for the book?!
Surely there must be more previews in the pipeline?
More, more, more I say!

Ralph
Se Chris
Site Admin

Postby Se Chris » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Strom wrote:I really like the border art - wonder who the artist is? Looks great.
Pascal Quidault.
"I have reservations about reconciling a quantum mechanics thought experiment with Egyptian mythology."
- Dresden Codak
GlassJaw
Weasel

Postby GlassJaw » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 pm

msprange wrote:
GlassJaw wrote:all B&W - thumbs down
Is it possible to have gratuitous anything in Conan?
In the setting? No. In an RPG rulebook, certainly, yes.

The fact that it's a picture of naked boobies doesn't bother me. But it does bother me when the art, whatever the content, distracts the reader from the text.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm

Well, it ceases to be a distraction once you get used to it.

And, as a matter of fact, if the right pages depict a bare-chested male, I want a bare-chested female on the left. Gender equality and so on.