2 ed previews

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
thulsa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby thulsa » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:54 pm

toothill man wrote:any specific questions guys
1. Have any of the character classes been assigned new special abilities?
2. Any new spells? What are the different defensive blasts for each sorcery style?
3. Any changes to weapon damage dice?
4. Has the Kushite race (weakest in previous edition) been changed?

- thulsa

The Hyborian Age d20 Campaign Site
http://hyboria.xoth.net/

The Spider-God's Bride and Other Tales
http://xoth.net/publishing/xp1/
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:38 pm

1. Have the actions changed? I presume that they have moved from standard, move, full round and free actions to standard, move, full round, free, swift and immediate actions.

2. Any changes to combat mechanics? Such as DR, massive damage and the like? I hope they've kept the combat as deadly as it is.

I'm interested in everything Thulsa asked as well.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:56 pm

I'd like to know the same stuff as the two gentlemen above, but will also add:

Is the map the same, or have any major changes been made?

Get busy with the spoilers toothill! :D
MGBM
Banded Mongoose

Postby MGBM » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Let me add one more question:

Is the gazeteer the same as AE or is it better?

:D
"When I cannot stand alone, it will be time to die," he mumbled, through mashed lips. "But I'd like a flagon of wine."
- Robert E. Howard "Rogues In The House"
ogrisgl
Cub

Postby ogrisgl » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Nice preview. Seems to be a big book.

IMHO the Atlantean cover is better and that's too bad the book is in B&W.

Is it me or the (beautiful) girl seems to have a mustache :shock:
bolen
Mongoose

Postby bolen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:22 am

Do you have plans for a "Collector's edition" in Color.

Most of the products are background but are my class books obsolete with this edition?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and concientious stupidity--

Martin Luther King
windman
Banded Mongoose

Postby windman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 am

Are the new maps, revised, updated, and more correct?
For all his dark ferocity, Booya has a very happy soul, he revels in his feedom and displays a child-like glee of simple pleasures. He may rip out your liver and eat it before you dying eyes if you cross him, but a he enjoys a happy birdsong.
Se Chris
Site Admin

Postby Se Chris » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:50 pm

windman wrote:Are the new maps, revised, updated, and more correct?
No - I did commission some new maps but they weren't ready in time so they will be making an appearance in Return to the Road of Kings instead.
"I have reservations about reconciling a quantum mechanics thought experiment with Egyptian mythology."
- Dresden Codak
windman
Banded Mongoose

Postby windman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:43 pm

well, at least they are coming.

Are they based on, or at least influenced by Dale Rippke's research?
For all his dark ferocity, Booya has a very happy soul, he revels in his feedom and displays a child-like glee of simple pleasures. He may rip out your liver and eat it before you dying eyes if you cross him, but a he enjoys a happy birdsong.
Se Chris
Site Admin

Postby Se Chris » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm

They're based on updated cartography sent to me by Vincent. He's my go-to man on matters of Conanical accuracy.
"I have reservations about reconciling a quantum mechanics thought experiment with Egyptian mythology."
- Dresden Codak
windman
Banded Mongoose

Postby windman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:53 pm

excellent!
Tim
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:40 pm

My thoughts and concerns;

1) its a big book, thats good, I hope they do abetter job binding it than their current books, glue binding alone won't hold up.

2) Grey backgrounds, pirates, and hawkmoon have a grey back ground that is to dark, they are hard to read.

3) The skill list, I was hoping they would have trimed it down, combining skills like they did in SST.

4) They need a caracter sheet that isn't grey, many players use pencil, a grey back ground dosent erase well and is hard to read pencil marks on. also printer friendly is always a plus.
Foxworthy
Banded Mongoose

Postby Foxworthy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 pm

I like what I see. I can't wait to get it.
www.myspace.com/fox257

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:56 am

Mongoose Chris wrote:They're based on updated cartography sent to me by Vincent. He's my go-to man on matters of Conanical accuracy.
This sounds very promising. :D
Krushnak
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Krushnak » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 am

a printer friendly character sheet is a must i would say, also i've noticed 2 things missing from it that should probably be on it and they are a dedicated box for keeping you corruption score and a dedicated space for magic attack.
Harlock
Weasel

Postby Harlock » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:40 am

Myself being an old style gamer, I dont mind B&W inner art though keeping the book hardcover I think is a good idea. I also wouldnt complain if there was a bit less art. Having said that I dont mind the way the first edition is laid out either. What would bother me is a big price increase. Where I am in canada the 1st ed rule book ran me $50 and thats less than many others I've seen recently. Adding dice, supplements and misc supplies for running the game can easily add up to over $100 in startup costs. I dont want mongoose to lose money thats for certain. But some players, myself included, dont have a large entertainment budget and high entry cost tip the scales in favour of some other non rpg hobby.

I do give mongoose some pretty good positive points though. I've seen other rpg's where the core rules run from $60 to $100. And in the case of the Conan rpg they did release a "pocket edition". I guess I'm a bit off topic here but my point is, in short, I dont mind having a bit less eye candy if the core rules of the game, and its supplements are well written, and not out of reach of most players.
Bjorn the Barbarian
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bjorn the Barbarian » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm

Does anyone know for sure if the interior artwork is in fact B&W versus color? :?
Bjorn the Barbarian
Leader of the Aesirian Free Company
Se Chris
Site Admin

Postby Se Chris » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes, Conan 2 is all b/w on the inside. Except for the maps on the inside covers, but I don't think they count.
- Dresden Codak
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:30 pm

Well, it is 13th! I bet some of you is about to get the book tomorrow. Post previews here when you get it. The questions listed before are still left unanswered.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Trodax
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Trodax » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Majestic7 wrote:Well, it is 13th! I bet some of you is about to get the book tomorrow. Post previews here when you get it. The questions listed before are still left unanswered.
The shipping date for the book now says the 20th. Has it been delayed a week?