New scenarios

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
caldan
Shrew

New scenarios

Postby caldan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:18 pm

When are new scenarios going to be released for the 2nd edition [hopefully mid to high levels]
I wont be buying the 2nd edition until I have read some detailed reviews on this site, as I have bought nearly everything else :roll:
Our campaign has pretty much ended now and without a new load of published scenarios to tinker with I doubt very much that it will get going again :cry:
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rgrove0172 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Gotta learn to work on your own material, otherwise any campaign is doomed from the start.
Clegane
Weasel

Postby Clegane » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Back in the good old days when the mates and I were jobless college students, with no financial concerns above and beyond beer money, smoke money, and gaming money, I used to exclusively run campaigns with my own material. I always felt like running published adventures (unless heavily modified) was some form of 'cheating.'

Now, fifteen years later...my gaming group have careers, wives, children, homes to look after and maintain, and so forth.

Well into our thirties now, its a miracle if we get to play every two weeks with any sort of regularity and I've come to rely on those published adventures to allow us to keep gaming without having to sink unrealistic amounts of time into things. Sure, it'd be nice to hand-craft sprawling, epic adventures like in days of yore. But it just isn't possible for those of us who have moved from being geeky gamer kids into the real world.

I imagine there are many, likely including the original poster, who are in the same boat I am. Its hardly fair to disparage someone for wanting to rely on published material if that's the only way they can really manage to play on a regular basis.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:46 pm

A big, high-level campaign, would be nice. WHR had the Imperial Campaign, Coc had the Masks. Why isn't there any equivalent for Conan ?
argo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby argo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Agreed, it is hard enough just to carve out the time for actual play, let alone time to lovingly hand-craft a homebrew campaign.

... and I need that play-time. It distracts me from thnking about how much money it is going to take to make a down payment in the California housing market :cry:
Yeah, well things are tough all over cupcake, and it rains on the just and the unjust alike...

... except in Califorina.

Remember: guns don't kill people, monkeys with guns kill people! /^o^;
XcomSquaddie
Banded Mongoose

Postby XcomSquaddie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Clegane wrote:I imagine there are many, likely including the original poster, who are in the same boat I am. Its hardly fair to disparage someone for wanting to rely on published material if that's the only way they can really manage to play on a regular basis.
It can be very tough. RL definitely interferes with Game Time. So you do what you gotta do. If pre-mades are the only way you can play then thats how you play.

A good compromise is to work on a "sprawling epic" while you run the pre-mades. It doesn't matter if you run one homebrew for every dozen premades, you get parts of both worlds.

You can also edit the pre-mades to fit your players or campaign, if you have the time.

Also, don't forget the scenarios published for other games. Sometimes you can run them almost as is, sometimes you can use the maps, etc. One of the S&P articles dealt with importing other game material into Conan. Very helpful.

Another plus is that there is a great deal of old stuff available for download at the various online stores.

There are also modules posted by other GM's. Search the archives on this forum and you can probably find a bunch.

http://conan.createl.net/modules.php

Dr. Skull's stuff is pretty good. Actually, The Lost Garrison is damn good.

Hope that helps.
"It should be perfectly safe Gromit, just a bit of harmless brain alteration..."
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Mongoose has promised an epic campaign adventure every year for the Conan RPG, starting with this year. That was from Matt Sprange when he announced renewing the Conan license for another 5 (or was it four?) years.

Also the adventure 'Conan and the Waking Dream' should be available shortly after the 2e launch. it's described as follows:
In the tiny Zamorian village of Lunatini, people are used to a certain way of life - simple and pleasant. They are vintners mostly, tending the vineyards and presses all the hours of the day and relaxing to a few good cups of wine and song when the night claims the sun. It has been this way for many generations and there is little that would make these simple folk change. Then why is it that there have been more than a dozen men and women killed on the points of watchmen spears in the last month? A rash of unexplained madness is spreading through the population of Lunatini, and some have begun to whisper that it is the result of witchcraft and sorcery...or perhaps of even darker origins. The village's annual Cask Blessing Festival is almost upon them, where they make all of the money that they live on each year in just a few days, and the burgomaster of the village is ready to go to any lengths to hunt down the witch, sorcerer or demon responsible - even hire a group of wayward adventurers to do the deed!
Also "Call of Darfar" sounds like an adventure. So, there will be some 2e adventures available. 8)
“Crom and his devils!”
caldan
Shrew

Postby caldan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm

CALGANE- could not have put it better myself.
Have been GMing over 25 years and what with trying to start a new business, family etc etc.
I often adapt the scenarios myself and the inspiration I get from these adventures helps fill in the gaps between published scenarios and personalise the games to fit in with my players. But I need good quality scenarios to start with :wink:
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 am

One option is to skim through campaign reports here and elsewhere (if there is such stuff elsewhere), stealing best ideas and encounters for your own use. I've heard said that the Freeport (sp?) campaign fits fine to Conan, though I haven't studied myself, only browsed the books briefly. The main plot revolves around cultists of the Unspeakable One (Hastur) trying to bring the Great Old One to this world or something like that. It heavily involves degenerated serpentmen and the causes of their destruction.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
rgrove0172
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby rgrove0172 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:06 am

But it just isn't possible for those of us who have moved from being geeky gamer kids into the real world.
Im not trying to ruffle any feathers here but this statement is pretty narrow minded. To insinuate that only jobless kids with no responsiblities can manage to create their own material is hogwash.

Im the Assistant Chief of a urban fire department. Ive spent the better part of 15 years working long hours, constantly training and attending classes, completeing a degree in pre-hospital emergency medical technology, and teaching paramedic on the side. I have two kids in college and twin boys 2 years old. I recently moved and am constructing a new gaming shop and hit the gym about 12 hours a week. AND - I run a Hyborian campaign wherein we play 1 or 2 times a month and I use my own material exclusively.

So it can be done, even by us old toots with families, jobs etc.....
toothill man
Warlord Mongoose

Postby toothill man » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 am

with slaine you have no choice and have a mountain of stuff which i must put on the net one day :D
Everybody here paints himself red and eats monkeys
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 pm

rgrove0172 wrote:
Im not trying to ruffle any feathers here but this statement is pretty narrow minded. To insinuate that only jobless kids with no responsiblities can manage to create their own material is hogwash.

(snip)

So it can be done, even by us old toots with families, jobs etc.....
I think this depends much on the style of how the GM runs his adventures - mainly on how much he writes down. Some GMs write their whole scenarios,every word of them, before even thinking about running them. That takes a whole lot of time. I wrote a scenario down in detail first time just a few weeks ago for a RPG magazine that wanted it and I was surprised how much time it really required.

I keep most of the stuff only in my head, just writing down a few notes to help my memory, rough outlines of maps and game statistics required. If possible, I try to get the last from some official source, as I don't usually bother tinkering with rules too much. With my style I can plan adventures when I'm doing something else, like bicycling or sitting in a bus. Writing down the notes really takes little time.

However, I can understand that some people don't want to trust just their memory or want the stuff on paper for other reasons. I think in their case planning scenarios and campaigns can be very difficult and take a lot of time. Personally, I only use my own material too, though I take NPCs and ideas from official stuff when I can. Sometimes I can skim parts of scenarios for my own purposes, but I don't think I have ever run a ready campaign or scenario without heavy modifications.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Postby Aholibamah » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:42 am

That's quite true it depends on the person. I have to admit that I just find it hard to come up with original material that readily, so I need to get inspiration from somewhere. It's a lot easier to just by an adenture, modify it slightly and presto.

That being said--for those who don't have much time, why don't we now and then brainstorm a few adventures here? I'd be up for that--everyone just contributes as much as they can and then maybe we get some of the smaller ones in Signs and Portents or a publication.