New to Conan and just bought the main book.

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
shouit
Weasel

New to Conan and just bought the main book.

Postby shouit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:00 am

I just bought the main book, Atlantean Edition. Then I come to find out the 2nd edition is coming out. Is it going to be worthless? What other books do I need to get? I see the spell and Kings is being reprinted, what about the others?

Should I just work with the 1st edition? Buy those books and ignore the 2nd edition? Also which books do I absolutely need? There are so many.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:30 am

Bad timing shouit. But it's best to make lemonade when life gives you a lemon. :D

Bottom line, we have been having a blast playing the Conan RPG you purchased since 2004. You can also use that book and that book alone to enjoy the unique Conan RPG rules to experience some great heroic, low magic adventures. Personally, I would immediately start playing the game and see what you think. This site is the best site for rules questions and all things Conan, if you have any questions or want to share some experiences.

Then if you want to experience a more streamlined (I'm kinda guessing here) Conan RPG experience, you can start buying Conan 2e and all it's supplements starting next month. I wouldn't wait though - go ahead and roll up some dudes and start swinging some axes! You have all you need to play in the Atlantean edition. Do that and see where it takes you. That's my best case scenerio for your situation.

Oh yeah, check out the pinned thread about Sign & Portents for some free adventures to get ya rolling that dice. Good luck!
“Crom and his devils!”
shouit
Weasel

Postby shouit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:43 am

Should I try to buy some of the regional supplements while I still can? I hear they are not going to be reprinted.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

shouit wrote:Should I try to buy some of the regional supplements while I still can? I hear they are not going to be reprinted.
I would definitely pickup the Road of Kings gazetteer. It is awesome in it's regional information and really sets the tone for the Hyborian Age and those who dwell in it. Then pickup the 2e Return to the Road of Kings just to add to the flavor of the first book. Your probably safe in picking up all the regional books since I can't see Mongoose redoing all of those just for 2e.

Of course if your a collector than I say grab them up asap. But all you need is the rulebook and the RoK. There isn't a bad book out there if you decide on anything other than those two.
“Crom and his devils!”
Yogah of Yag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Yogah of Yag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Welcome! :D
All that you need is the Atlantean Edition and maybe Road of Kings.
The rest is filler, really.
shouit
Weasel

Postby shouit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:41 pm

What about Scroll of Skelos(sp)? The main book does reference that a bit and I know I want some sorcery elements. I am at work, so I dont have book with me. I was thinking, for the time being buying the following.

For sures.
Mainbook(done.)
Road of Kings
Scroll of Skelos

Possibles.
equipment guide
DM screen

Do all my players need the mainbook? I was thinking that they did only if they planned on playing scholars.

Thanks for everyone responding. I know with the new edition, I will probably want to move to that.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:22 pm

I didn't buy Tito's and don't plan to.

Besides the MRB, Scrolls of Skelos and Road of Kings, there's no absolute must-buy in this line.
shouit
Weasel

Postby shouit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks Kyorou, that is what I was looking for. What are must buys. Been trying to find a thread on the topic, but I have always had difficulties figuring out what to put into a search engine to find exactly what I need to do this.

I know there are minimalists who think you only need the main book and want to go to town on their own. I bought a setting simply because I dont have the time to do that. Plus Conan has always interested me.
Jeffreywns
Mongoose

Postby Jeffreywns » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:50 pm

A very used book in my campaign is the Ruins book. I would suggest that for its monsters, traps, locations and as a springboard for adventures of your own. It accents the Road of Kings nicely.
Strom
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Strom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 pm

shouit wrote:Thanks Kyorou, that is what I was looking for. What are must buys. Been trying to find a thread on the topic, but I have always had difficulties figuring out what to put into a search engine to find exactly what I need to do this.

I know there are minimalists who think you only need the main book and want to go to town on their own. I bought a setting simply because I dont have the time to do that. Plus Conan has always interested me.
I have the Scrolls of Skelos but don't see it as a must buy. It's truly just filler for the scholarly character like the Hyboria F series with a slant toward the GM since most of the scholarly characters will be NPCs. No knock on Vincent - it's a great book. I just don't see S0S as a must buy.
“Crom and his devils!”
shouit
Weasel

Postby shouit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 pm

I went searching for npc generators and I get a thread on this very subject! LOL. When I tried searching new to Conan, I got 17 pages of stuff. Sorting through it was tough, but when I searched npc generators, I get what I was looking for the whole time! Gotta love the search engine.
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 am

Hmm, I'd add Ruins of Hyboria in the must-list with RotK. Ancient ruins are as much part of the whole genre as glittering, corrupted cities and wild jungles.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Damien
Banded Mongoose

Postby Damien » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:07 am

Yeah. . .

As you can plainly see, everyone has a different 'must have' list, according to their own game style, their primary role in the game (GM/Player), etc, ad nauseum.

So you won't find any definitive answers besides this one: Technically, all you -have- to have is the Core Book. Simple as that. Anything, anything else is just extra stuff if you -want- or -need- it. And no one can really tell you what you'll want or need.

My suggestion is to ask what's in the various books, look up reviews, etc. Get as much info as you can on all the products and decide for yourself which ones seem most necessary to your gaming style and what you need ready to go for your games. All of the Conan books, as most here will attest to, are exemplary -- in my opinion some of the best gaming books any company has produced. So no worries that you'll end up with a 'bad book.'
Forge not works of art, but swords of death; for therein lies great art.
GurgleSnuff
Stoat

Hmm...

Postby GurgleSnuff » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:55 am

I also bought the book...and just finished understanding this one....how is the next one going to b compared to this one?
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:08 am

Damien wrote:All of the Conan books, as most here will attest to, are exemplary -- in my opinion some of the best gaming books any company has produced. So no worries that you'll end up with a 'bad book.'
But you could end up with a book which doesn't fit your style of gaming.

As an example, Ruins of Hyboria is a great book. I bought it recently and I love it. But some people I know would find it pretty useless, because they don't wish to explore that aspect of the genre.

Same goes for the Hyboria's series.

So, I'd say that the first thing is deciding what you want to do, and buy appropriately.
Damien
Banded Mongoose

Postby Damien » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:11 am

But you could end up with a book which doesn't fit your style of gaming.
Which is why I qualified the post by saying he should examine the contents of all the products and decide which ones fit his style and particular gaming needs. :)

The last statement was only to point out that the products are so good, he can concentrate on what kind of products he needs, rather than 'is it good.' Because the answer to 'is it good' is practically always a resounding 'yes.'
Forge not works of art, but swords of death; for therein lies great art.