Book of the Dragon

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Book of the Dragon

Postby Aholibamah » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:37 am

I would like some advice on how to make this work well for my game. Basically what I am picturing is a big book that has metal interchangeable plates in it that are almost like a puzzle. If the plates are moved in the right way then they reveal patterns that might show maps, words, diagrams and so on. I pictured that the book has three parts--a sort of frame, and two inner parts which connected together enable the reader to use the 'puzzles' to determine things.

My question is mostly this: how can I make this work in a game-mechanical sense? Or another way to put it might be what feats might be needed to deal with this book?
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:19 am

If it is as complex as it sounds, a specific Feat might be necessary to use this book.
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:40 am

I wouldn't tie it to Feats - it sounds like a use of Open Lock or Knowledge (arcana) or Concentration to me.

What do you want the players to be able to do with the book? If it's there just to provide plot hooks, then you might not even want a skill check at all - just say 'after carefully study of the book, you discover...'. If it's a research device, then make it worth like Gather Information using one of the above skills. If you want using it to be more hazardous, then say that you've got to take Wisdom damage to make a roll...
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Postby Vortigern » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:54 pm

I'd also carefully consider the IC origin of the book, and then stipulate from there the potential hazards of using it. If it is worth having around as a source of information... then the people who made it probably didn't want to share. So whether it has some sort of guardian demon or a poison needle trap or whatever... something like that is unlikely to be a 'freebie'.

Taking attribute damage to use it is an interesting option... lose a little sanity every time you gaze into the dark. That would be a flavorful addition. But to me that would represent the mind-bending nature of the device itself, rather than any protections on it.

I'd agree however that if it is to serve as a sort of plot-device, a given bit of 'this is what you discover' is good, then from there choose a skill to have them make checks against to discern assemble and discern the meaning of it's contents.
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
sidkfjjteidlkkf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby sidkfjjteidlkkf » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Dragons would not be the D&D type dragons in Conan. Probably NEVER cast spells. In a sense, they are flying giant lizards. At least that is how I portray them...

Also, as far as the book, I would incorportate into the campaign with severe limits on both it use and its magical properties.
Last edited by sidkfjjteidlkkf on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Hey! What part of Initiative do you not understand!!!! WAITE YOUR TURN...
Bregales
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: I'll take Manhattan, but I live in Queens, New York

Book of the Dragon

Postby Bregales » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:02 pm

I haven't been on these boards in ages, this is an interesting post. I don't think a feat to use/read the book should be done at all, but there may be a feat necessary to create the book, along the metamagic item creation line of feats. It seems to me that this book has a magical aspect to it, as opposed to say a mechanical rubiks cube.

Skills could be Knowledge:Arcana, Decipher Script would be my personal choice, Concentration, possibly Spellcraft. If it's like the Scrolls of Skelos, the reader may need to save vs. Corruption, or maybe require a Will save to be able to read the book.

Well, I gotta go now. Good luck.

Oh, and to Koski there's also the flightless dragons in the Conan story "Red Nails".
Last edited by Bregales on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill" - Donne
Aholibamah
Banded Mongoose

Postby Aholibamah » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks very much Bregales for that idea--I like the idea of it being partly magical device partly mechanical device so those three elements are just about perfect!

And yes that encounter in "Red Nails" is one of my favourites in Conan, it shows very well his might as a warrior along with his cunning and knowledge of the world.
Bregales
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: I'll take Manhattan, but I live in Queens, New York

Book of the Dragon

Postby Bregales » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Great, glad to be of any help. Good luck with your book design, I'd be interested in finding how it works out in your game.
"Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill" - Donne