Game Book & RPG Rules

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:18 am

End of the year!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
jadrax
Banded Mongoose

Postby jadrax » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:59 am

msprange wrote:Hi there,

I have been working on a draft of the RPG, but it is very early days yet, so take everything with a pinch of salt.

The rules system is _very_ close to the gamebooks, to the extent that you can indeed lift monsters and equipment straight from them. It is a very easy and rules-lite game that concentrates on the actual play rather than hot character builds.

Everything you need is included in the first book, though we have drawn up possible plans for another six or seven. That said, one of them would be an entire campaign, while another two would cover different parts of Magnamun (which could easily be replaced by a new Magnamund Companion, if we go ahead with that project). The 'hot' books will be the first (core rules), second ('advanced' rules and new character types), and third (the campaign).
Sounds fantastic!
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Winter Wolf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:05 am

I have got a good feeling about the future for lonewolf and with the megadeal ordered I will have a steady drip feed of LW goodness to keep me going until the end of the year.

The first book is full of great descriptions of all things Sommelending more in depth descriptions of locations and items, people and organisations. It will be a great resource for the RPG when it arrives. An index of key gamebook sections that describ places and people and things would be really useful for GMs and well worth sticking in any source books. Well I think so anyway.

WW
Silver Fox
Mongoose

Postby Silver Fox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:09 am

Are Mongoose looking for any external play-testers for the new system?
"You have given me half what the other men get. This handful of tin wouldn't buy my sweat!" - Jean Valjean, Les Miserables.

Daveyspawn A.K.A Silver Fox.
Winter Wolf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Winter Wolf » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Silver Fox wrote:Are Mongoose looking for any external play-testers for the new system?
A very good question!
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Silver Fox wrote:Are Mongoose looking for any external play-testers for the new system?
I'm interested (and know other gamers in my area who'd be up for it too).
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
Ser Andrew
Shrew

Postby Ser Andrew » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:50 pm

phantomdoodler wrote:I am beginning to get rather excited about the new system. I do like the sound of it. I sssume its a single d10 only, with possibly an expanded combat results table (such as critical hits etc). That could work very well. In the books there are basically two mechanics: For combat, compare your CS to your opponents, roll d10 and looking up the results in the appropriate column. This would work well for any contested skill test. Compare your skill to your targets, then roll on the appropriate column, with an appropriate success/ failure level.
The other mechanic used seems to be roll d10 plus mods, to get a target number.
I would think it best to just have one system in place , so either reduce combat to d10 plus CS, needing to beat your targets roll (or a static number), or use the combat results table (or rather Skill Results Table) to solve all actions. you look up your skill level, comparing it to either a set number for difficulties, or your targets skill for opposed rolls.

I wonder how stats figure into this. May Combat skill is say Dex (rated 1-10) plus skill rating (again rated 1-10)? Just have to wait like everyone else I suppose

I am rather excited as well, although I'm disappointed because I was about to start campaigning with the old system... now I feel like learning the old core rules would be a waste... oh well!
RuneDancer
Weasel

Postby RuneDancer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Ok, make me the fourth to put my name forward as playtester, if needed
FailedSpotCheck
Banded Mongoose

Postby FailedSpotCheck » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:03 am

I'd like to be a playtester, too, if the 'Goose is looking for eager recruits! :D
Roll! Reflex Save vs. Flying 55mm Countdown Die of Death!
Hunting Moon
Shrew

Postby Hunting Moon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 am

I would also love to playtest this bad boy. Will the core classes from the D20 edition be supported by default or would these be character classes explored in the second book. I love me some Brotherhood magic, Dessi magic, and Shanti magic.
Omote
Weasel

Postby Omote » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:40 am

The end of the year can't come soon enough! I'm really looking forward to the new light, RPG. 8)

.....................................OMote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is scared. My god taints a pretty pictue." - KT