Meditation vs. Sacrifice?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Nyarlathotep
Stoat

Meditation vs. Sacrifice?

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:59 am

We all know the types of sorcerors who would make use of the Ritual Sacrifice and other attendant merits - Pictish Shamans, members of House of the Black Circle, Hyperborean Witchmen, and your independent Necromancer trying to make an honest living by raising an army of the undead. Obviously, the Sacrifice feats are an easy road to power that will eventually corrupt..

SO.. if that is the case, what types of organizations/persons use the Meditation merit? The Cult of Mitras comes to mind automatically, and a few independent scholars who would abhore the barbaric aspects of the Sacrifice feats...

..but is there anyone else who would be drawn to Meditation as a means of accumulating power?
Kyorou
Mongoose

Re: Meditation vs. Sacrifice?

Postby Kyorou » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:your independent Necromancer trying to make an honest living by raising an army of the undead.
:shock: An army of the undead in Howard's world ? Inquisition time !
Nyarlathotep wrote:..but is there anyone else who would be drawn to Meditation as a means of accumulating power?
Well, almost every guy trying to do some magic without risking being lynched as a murderer, I think. In most areas, it would be hard to sacrifice a human being without drawing unwanted attention (hell, in remote areas, even a cow would be too much).
Malcadon
Banded Mongoose

Virgin Sacrifice!

Postby Malcadon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am

I'm always up for a 'virgin sacrifice'! :wink:

Oh? Are we taking about sorcery! :shock: Nevermind! 8)
argo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby argo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Priests of Asura and Ibis would be likely canidates for meditation. The issue of weither or not Mitran priests are spellcasters is open for intrepretation but even if you do I imagine they would perfer power rituals done up as worship ceremonies, though some few might take the feat.

Practicioners of eastern magic would be obvious canidates as well. Lonely gurus on mountaitops and the like. In the western lands you might have the occasional "hermit" or "shrivled old midwife" who uses it as well.

Regarless, I certainly imagine that the number of sorcorers who take meditation is quite low compared to the number who practice sacrifice and/or power ritual. Quick road to power and all that jazz :wink:

Later.
Yeah, well things are tough all over cupcake, and it rains on the just and the unjust alike...

... except in Califorina.

Remember: guns don't kill people, monkeys with guns kill people! /^o^;