Is the Cult of Ibis hiding something? (Possible Spoilers)

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:00 am

Majestic7 wrote:Perhaps the cult is simply insignificant to them. They pose no direct threat to the leadership of Setites in Stygia and seem unable to stop plots of the Black Ring abroad. If you like conspiracies, perhaps the cult of Ibis is so impotent because they realize such evidence exists and could be used to destroy them. They are being blackmailed in to submission. Sometimes a controlled enemy is more useful than a destroyed or desperate one.
I agree. The Black Ring tends to act in subtle ways. I don't see them making a move to destroy the Ibis cult unless there is great profit in doing so. Moreover, I'd say it is more a "let them be. They may be useful later" kind of plan.

I'm not fond of your idea of the Ibis cult being blackmailed and controlled by the Black Circle, although. That would be too simple (this is the issue I have with conspiracy theories in general).
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:55 am

There's one thing i don't understand though - if this is really the truth how come the Black Ring and the Priesthood of Set have not tried to "out" the Ibis cultists?

If they bothered to, they could put together enough evidence and let it conveniently land in the hands of the Mitrans and other Hyborians and let them do the dirty work of finishing off their enemies
Its not quite that easy. What evidence could they produce? You can be certain that Kalanthes and the old guard aren't stupid enough to allow any hint of the truth to appear in any (recent) documents. In a pre-video and audio recording era there is no way to gather evidence of evil rituals other than eye witness testimony, and who is going to believe a Setite claiming that the cult of Ibis is involved in that kind of thing? About there only chance would be to somehow manipulate a group of trustworthy witnesses with a strong track record of anti-Set activies into discovering the truth themselves, thus providing witnesses the Mitrans might believe.

Hmmmm....
Nyarlathotep
Stoat

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 pm

kintire wrote: About there only chance would be to somehow manipulate a group of trustworthy witnesses with a strong track record of anti-Set activies into discovering the truth themselves, thus providing witnesses the Mitrans might believe.

Hmmmm....
One wonders what an intrepid and brave/foolhardy group of adventurers would find (aside from the usual world-ending beasties :wink: ) in the Acheronian Temple beneath Argos' huge cemetary......
Nyarlathotep
Stoat

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Well another thought just manifested itself in my head - When Xaltotun returned and briefly attempted to restore the Acheronian empire, what was the stance of the Cult of Ibis? He did venture to Nemedia for a bit and seemed to be in talks with the Acheronians who were still alive...
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:00 am

I don't think there was a stance. In my opinion, the Acheronians are not in actual control of the cult, although they have appreciable influence on it. They probably helped Xaltotun with whatever resources they had at hand (including some of the cult's) though.
VincentDarlage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby VincentDarlage » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:When Xaltotun returned and briefly attempted to restore the Acheronian empire, what was the stance of the Cult of Ibis?
I think the Cult of Ibis would have been sympathetic. Xaltotun was poisoned by "jealous priests of Stygia" after his power was robbed by the Hyborian shaman, and Kalanthes was sent a murderous gift from Thoth-amon.
Voltumna
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voltumna » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Is Kalanthes believed to be an acheronian? I wouldn't think so. He is said to be "the last acheronian style priest" but that's merely circumstantial since he is the high priest of the cult of Ibis which originated in Acheron. I would think that the surviving acheronians have little to do with the Ibis cult, more because the cult itself would be careful not to keep such a relation, being under the watchful eye of the cult of Mithra, after all, they defected Acheron to survive, and I think they would do it again.

I also think Set would have had a much powerful cult in Acheron. The hint that acheronians held 9 mysteries, indeed indicates that their devotion to the Old Serpent was much greater than the Stigyans'. Te loss of the nysteries might also be because that knowledge was lost to history, considering the serpent people held 12, but Acheron in general is considered to be much greater in sorcerous things than any other recent nation. I would think remaining acheronians would hold the cult of Ibis in great contempt for their past treachery, and the cult might still keep something that the acheronians believe to rightfully belong to them.

Also, although the original cult of Ibis that would betray Acheron, was comprised of acheronians, in time this race would have become recessive, as they mixed with the nemedian. I think their survival would have depended on it. Ibites first loyalty is to their god and their studies. Ibites are scholars first and foremost.

There is one thing that intrigues me about the cult as fleshed out in Faith and Fervour, and this is their higher mysteries:
The fifth Mystery of Ibis is that Ibis is a demi-urge and is not the true light of the universe. The Keeper of the Fifth Mystery may learn the Summonings Sorcery Style (Master Words and Signs, not Demonic Pact) if
approved by the High Priest of Ibis – the character must swear an oath not to cast curses in public upon pain of torture and/or death. The Keeper learns of the Source of All Things, the Light of the Universe and gains a +2 bonus on saves versus Corruption.

The seventh Mystery of Ibis is that of immortality. The sacred geometry of the soul is discovered, as well as the horrible secrets of bodily regeneration and/or rebirth with an intact memory/soul. The consciousness of the Keeper of the Seventh Mystery of Ibis is expanded and the Keeper may behold the Immortals. Further, the full truth about the hieroglyphics are unfolded – they are not just for writing – they are magical keys to Immortality. The cause of death is the love of the body, of the physical. Immortality comes from knowledge of the true self. The Keeper may learn the Immortality style of magic, as a bonus Sorcery Style.
So, at one point, they learn of the True Light of the Universe, and that knowledge empowers them against corruption, when they learn summonings they can only learn the Master words and signs first, so they are forbidden to undertake demonic pacts, but later on, they learn the secrets of immortality, which invariably require human sacrifice, as per that sorcery style. So there is this dichotomy in the practices of the cult, but curiously, rather than strike me as contradictory, I think it suits it very well somehow. It may be because of their philosophy:
The Cult of Ibis teaches that men are little gods, that the spirit within transcends the flesh. The cult teaches that man is born in order to commune with nature but that the spirit is still god-like – but that men have forgotten how to touch their godlike natures. Alchemy and magic are part of a god’s power and knowledge is the ultimate power. With knowledge comes godhood. If he partakes of enough knowledge, a scholar becomes as the gods are.
Again, the sixth mystery may hold the key to their true teachings. A glimpse to all the knowledge of the universe may be world view changing.
Who dies first?