Unarmed mighty blow

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Unarmed mighty blow

Postby Majestic7 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:54 am

While writing new entry of my campaign report, I again remembered a case where a player used fate point to turn an unarmed sneak attack strike in to a mighty blow. My question is - what should happen with an unarmed mighty blow? The rules don't answer that. Normal weapons break. I didn't want the combat to freeze for a such petty thing, so I just threw some dice of damage to the character as a result of striking so hard unarmed.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae
Ichabod
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ichabod » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:56 am

I'm okay with getting rid of bardiches and greatswords to force someone to use something else, but -

1. I rarely see Mighty Blow used as either it's not going to be that useful, there are better uses for FPs, or you can already do enough damage.

2. The drawback may be flavorful but it's just an annoyance when there's little reason to take away most weapons.

Anyway, my latest reading of the mechanic suggests that it only affects melee weapons. Ranged weapons and other nonmelee weapons wouldn't be broken. Note the bit about using Mighty Blow with magical attacks for an example of a nonweapon use that has no defined drawback.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:38 am

Well, the rules can't answer everything. Which is good, otherwise we would be using a 3000-pages MRB...

Actually, what you say reminds of a situation where Conan breaks the neck of a sailor with one punch. I would allow it in my games, with no penalties (maybe one hit point or two).

Personaly, I would forbid the use of mighty blow with ranged weapons (don't see how that would be possible) but allow it with throwing weapons.
Krushnak
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Krushnak » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:14 pm

i would do something like a fort save with the dc being the damage you deal(before dr is factored) or take 1d4 points of strength damage from breaking bones in your hand. way i see it if a steel sword will break from it so should you.
Jotenbjorn
Mongoose

Postby Jotenbjorn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53 am

Posts like this are exactly why I'm scouring back through all the old posts, you never know when you'll come accross inspiration for a house rule. I'm going to go with a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Damage dealt) or the character suffers a 1 point wound to the attacking limb. I use specific wounds in my house rules, so that would translate into a -1 to all actions with that limb for one day. A wound causes a penalty equal to the number of wound points, and heal at a rate of 1 per day.
Looking for a game in Tempe, Az. E6 Conan ftw!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hyborian-steel - Still looking for players!
Jeffreywns
Mongoose

Postby Jeffreywns » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 pm

One effect comes to mind from experience, the limb used (right hand, left foot) is numbed/sore for a minute or two and can't be used for attack until then. Doesn't cripple the PC and I can relate to the pain.