Module conversion for Conan

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
cbrunish
Banded Mongoose

Postby cbrunish » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 am

I ran a CB1 adventure in my Conan game. It was well recieved. I had found a 3.5 conversion on the internet (can't remember where now) and printed it up. It worked well. And the Pirate character really liked having a real pirate ship at the end. But there was a clash with the Nomad character because he wanted to go back to the Kozaki. Since the Nomad was a NPC, he was dropped and an Aquilonian Borderer was brought in. It was very enjoyable to GM.
"We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"-Sir Winston Churchill
Hervé
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hervé » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:29 pm

cbrunish wrote:
I had found a 3.5 conversion on the internet (can't remember where now)
Wasn't it on our wonderful Thulsa's hyboria.xoth site?

I had too a lot of fun in running CB1. Actually, I think it's one of the best Hyborian adventures so far although it needs some reworking and fleshing out)
I talk to planets, baby.
The King
Cosmic Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:34 pm

I also think some Call of Cthulhu campaigns (especially the masks of Nyarlathotep) can be interestingly converted into a Conan game because of the low magic level (most CoC spells should easily find an equivalent in Conan).
Moreover it could be fun to run some Sci-Fi adventure à la S3 (or is it S4), this funny AD&D adventure with a space vessel as a dungeons (and robots as opponents).
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:00 am

It seems to me that many old D&D modules can be converted to Conan. I think the key is to focus on the low level scenarios. Those usually have little magic. The +1 weapons can easily be described as master quality weapons. And, if you need a higher level adventure, just beef up the opposition.

When the Conan monster book comes out (soon, I hope), it will be easy to substitue some beasties, too.

One of my favorites, from when I was a kid playing D&D through today, are the old "B" series of modules for D&D (not AD&D). Set in Mystara.

I still have the old B1-9 super module (one of the most incredible modules ever created--it's really three campaigns!). And, the re-appearing bad-guys in the form of the Iron Ring Slavers I think will fit right in with Conan.

Heck, Keep on the Borderlands was a "B" series module!

(B stood for "beginner".)

Lots of great plots and great stories told in those old modules (and I think they all were level 1-3 or something like that).

Shouldn't be too hard to convert.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:37 am

Supplement Four wrote:When the Conan monster book comes out (soon, I hope), it will be easy to substitue some beasties, too.
The Bestiary of the Hyborian Age has been out for months now. It's a must have for any Conan GM.
Games Running: The Nemedian Chronicles - Path of Wolves - Conan d20

Game Playing: The Hack Below - HackMaster 4e, Siege Weapons - Champions
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:20 am

flatscan wrote:The Bestiary of the Hyborian Age has been out for months now. It's a must have for any Conan GM.
Hmm. Dude at my local flgs told me it wasn't out yet. Guess I'll look at buying it online.
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:20 am

Supplement Four wrote: I still have the old B1-9 super module (one of the most incredible modules ever created--it's really three campaigns!). And, the re-appearing bad-guys in the form of the Iron Ring Slavers I think will fit right in with Conan.
I think you can add B/X1 Night Dark Terror (IIRC) where you can still see those slavers and an ancient civilization.

And thank you for the idea ! I have most of the B serie and never thought to adapt them to Conan. Ready for a Veiled Society ? :)

W.
Style
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Style » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Supplement Four wrote:
flatscan wrote:The Bestiary of the Hyborian Age has been out for months now. It's a must have for any Conan GM.
Hmm. Dude at my local flgs told me it wasn't out yet. Guess I'll look at buying it online.
My FLGS will order anything they don't have in stock and match any online price, which when you factor in S&H it beats the online price. Ask yours to do the same. SUPPORT YOUR FLGS!
Proud member of the Sandbox GMs' club:
Building Golden Bridges, one game at a time.
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby The King » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:30 pm

And what about the dark sun setting ? (without the psionic of course). I think it's the best sword & sorcery setting AD&D came ever close to.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Style wrote:Ask yours to do the same. SUPPORT YOUR FLGS!
I understand your sentiment, but I think flgs' are a dying breed.

I like browsing through games there, and I'll buy what they have if they've got what I'm looking for. Too often, though, the selection is low. I can sometimes find a lower price online, and the selection online can't be beat.

When most rpg dealers start offering browing pages in products, I think that will be the last nail in the coffin for flgs'.

Sad to say, but I think that's where things are going. If you want to publish a game, the internet is your prime distributor.
flatscan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby flatscan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Supplement Four wrote:Sad to say, but I think that's where things are going. If you want to publish a game, the internet is your prime distributor.
QFT!

I've pre-ordered every Conan book in the last year from Amazon. Cheaper prices and it gets delivered as soon as it's available. The local guys are going to have to come up with a way to get cheaper merchandise, have quality stock on hand (without erroneously stating that something hasn't been released when it's been out for months), or have some kind of large draw to get people to keep spending their $$$ there. But online distribution trumps it in every category except for face to face service. Hell, PDFs are awesome too. I buy the paper books, but copying and pasting from PDFs into my game notes on my laptop has been a lifesaver.
Games Running: The Nemedian Chronicles - Path of Wolves - Conan d20

Game Playing: The Hack Below - HackMaster 4e, Siege Weapons - Champions
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm

warzen wrote:I think you can add B/X1 Night Dark Terror (IIRC) where you can still see those slavers and an ancient civilization.
Sounds cool. I'll have to look that one up.

I've also got B11 King's Festival and B12 Queen's Harvest.

And, DDA3 Eye of Traldar, with its sequel, DDA4 Dymark Dread.

I think all of these would make excellent Conan stories. Out go the goblins and gnolls. In come the humans or monsters of your choice. Neat plot.

These old "B"series modules just have a certain "atmosphere" to them that isn't duplicated in many other sets of scenarios. I can't explain it. They're awesome.
Ready for a Veiled Society ? :)
Bring it on!

I may set that one in Shadizar.

The B1-9 mega-module takes the B1-9 modules, tweaks them, and lays out three different campaigns (you can actually play the thing three times and rarely play the same material). Each of the campaigns climaxes with the Veiled Society.

With some home-grown tweaks and atmosphere touches, it could be some very Conan stuff.
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Supplement Four wrote:
warzen wrote:I think you can add B/X1 Night Dark Terror (IIRC) where you can still see those slavers and an ancient civilization.
It's also called B10.
Check here:
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtm ... onid=11541

W.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 pm

warzen wrote:
Supplement Four wrote:
It's also called B10.
Check here:
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtm ... onid=11541

W.
Found it in my boxes of old stuff. I used to buy all this stuff and never use it back in the 80's. I've been slowly selling it all on eBay over the last 20 years.

I'll have to dust it off and take a look! :)

EDIT: What an exceptional module! I'd call it a mini-campaign! Great plot. I could make a good Conan story out of this.

The mountainous terrain is perferct for Zamora. The goblins and hobgoblins could be transformed into hillmen, ape men, or even border skirmishers from Zamora's neighbors.

The Iron Ring is perfect for Conan. I'm thinking of setting much of these scenarios in southern Zamora, where the Zamorian harriers are dealing with Kothian invaders.

Much of Zamora's terrain is featured in these modules: desert, arid, rocky, with some forests and rivers in the valley.

I'll just have to change the flavor of Karamekos, which is a traditional Tolkien type more suited to one of the Hyborean kingdoms.

Karamekos would be perfect for some place like Brythunia or Corinthia.
warzen
Banded Mongoose

Postby warzen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Supplement Four wrote: EDIT: What an exceptional module! I'd call it a mini-campaign! Great plot. I could make a good Conan story out of this.
8)
I'm really happy you like it ! :wink:

W.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 pm

warzen wrote:I'm really happy you like it ! :wink:
I do.

And, I was flipping through some old issues of Dungeon magazine and found a neat little 1st level adventure where the PCs stumble upon an entire town that has been encased with spider webs.

Zamora...spiders...perfect match.
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Supplement Four » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:16 am

Another idea for adventures to convert to Conan would be the Thieves World rpg. I haven't played it, but I've read several of the books. They're really quite good (and, I think they have a strong Conan-esque atmosphere to them with a tad more magic).

I don't know how many Theives World adventures there are, but I do think they'd fit well in the Conan universe.

On a completely un-related topic: I just noticed that the entire kingdom of Zamora is about as big a Texas!
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Module conversion for Conan

Postby The King » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't know if many of you are still there and still playing Conan, but I'd like to revive this old thread about inspiration and/or conversion.
After all, is not dead which can eternal lie, as H.P. Lovecraft wrote.

I was looking recently for some D20 (OGL or DD 3.5) adventures/modules/sourcebooks which would easily fit into the Hyborian Age. Most Wizards of the Coast's products are too high fantasy (magic and races and monsters) for a quick adaptation but I noticed several others:
- The Freeport trilogy (and generally all the Freeport setting and adventures) is almost a must, especially for low levels. Most can still be easily found arond.

Necromancer Games' slogan was "3rd Edition Rules, 1st Edition Feel". Despite appearances, many of their modules are quite clever and would particularly fit in a Conan game:
- The Grey Citadel, a middle-level urban detective adventure (plus a dungeon) with a remarkably low fantasy setting.
- The Lost City of Barakus is a low level campaign
- The six spheres of Zaihhess is a mid to high-level campaign (designed for levels 7-10)
and generally many adventures of the "G-Series" (whereas G means Guest).
- The Coils of Set are a direct reference to the Stygian deity but the second scenario of these book will need some rework because it involves negociation between a city and a lizardmen clan).

- The Thieves' World setting (from Green Ronin Publishing) is also a good target but quite hard to find nowadays.

Mongoose has published 3 adventures books from Thulsa using the Legend rules (he also wrote Mesopotamia for Necromancer games about which we talk earlier in this thread) but I don't know them. Knowing him I am pretty sure he designed them with a Conan/sword and sorcery setting in mind.
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Module conversion for Conan

Postby The King » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Another source of inspiration: the Arcanis D20 setting by Paradigm Concepts. There are good adventures and the setting is reminiscent of the Roman Empire. There are Serpent-men as well as a theocracy which is very similar to Acheron (an opressed population ruled through sorcerers musing with unlife and demons).

I would also cite Akrasia, thief of time and Wonders out of time from Eden Studios. The first is about an insidious cult whose main purpose is to help people neglect their primary tasks, i.e. farmers neglect to tend to their fields so that it brings starvation, priests forget about their duties, etc. There is no open confrontation, but it works like a corrupting evil bringing chaos and madness.
The second is about a lost and forgotten civilization.
Last edited by The King on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Re:

Postby The King » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Supplement Four wrote:Another idea for adventures to convert to Conan would be the Thieves World rpg. I haven't played it, but I've read several of the books. They're really quite good (and, I think they have a strong Conan-esque atmosphere to them with a tad more magic).

I don't know how many Theives World adventures there are, but I do think they'd fit well in the Conan universe.

On a completely un-related topic: I just noticed that the entire kingdom of Zamora is about as big a Texas!
There are 2 adventures from Green Ronin Publishing and 3 modules from Fasa.
There is also a sourcebook for the town/city of Sanctuary called Shadowspawn's Guide to Sanctuary, which is not only very interesting but also with new rules like a vigilance rating. Each neighborhood has a vigilance rating. The vigilance rating measures how much influence the Guard and the Watch have: the higher the number, the more active the patrols.