Liner plans?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Vortex
Mongoose

Liner plans?

Postby Vortex » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Is there any product that contains the spaceliner's plan?You know, the big round ship that seems to do approximately what a civilian 747 does today.

I'm gona need at least a partial map for my first scenario so I was wondernig if I would have to create it myself...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a headache" Motto of the Psi Corps' Science Department
the_first_one
Shrew

Postby the_first_one » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:31 pm

the ships of the galaxy has the stats but not the layout.
Who are you?
What do you want?
Why are you here?
Where are you going?
Gabriel_Luna
Banded Mongoose

Postby Gabriel_Luna » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:01 am

Actually, check the .pdf section on the main RPG site. I don't own the book personally, but I believe the Athena Strain takes place on a liner, and the pdf section has both deck plans and a deck layout. I don't know how accurate it is for all star liners, or if it's what you're looking for, but it might serve as a starting point.
"Why not," said Ford, "go mad?"
ShadowScout
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ShadowScout » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Actually, check the .pdf section on the main RPG site. I don't own the book personally, but I believe the Athena Strain takes place on a liner, and the pdf section has both deck plans and a deck layout. I don't know how accurate it is for all star liners, or if it's what you're looking for, but it might serve as a starting point.
The Athena is not your comon space liner, it is a much smaller model of passenger transport.

Of course, one could use such a princess-class liner in place of the more common space liner in an adventure, just so one has some deck plans...

But I hope that one day Mongoose will bring out a supplement with good looking deck plans for all the ships PC's are most likely to have an adventure on - civilian ships from a small transport (whole campaigns can center around one of those - think "Firefly" or "Farscape") to a large liner (from pirates to aliens, from plague to terrorists, getting from one place to another can be an adventure all of its own), small military ships (either permanent homes to the characters, or because they were captured by them, and now need to escape...) and pirate vessels (for much the same reasons).
And I'd like good deck plans. Not just some lines and numbers like witzh the "Far Star" in "The Ragged Edge", but deck plans which can be enlarged with a color copy machine and used as gaming maps for miniatures (Hey, Mongoose did release some minis - and I still have all Harlequin minis too). Something along the lines of the deck plans in the Serenety RPG, or the plans in "The Cold Equations"...
ShadowScout
Roman A. Perner

"True understanding can be found only in the Shadow between light and dark..." - inscription on Z'ha'dum
Vortex
Mongoose

Postby Vortex » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 pm

I checked out the plans for the Athena and I think I will indeed use these.

But there are a few things I find a bit strange.

1) Why exactly are the bridge and especially the captain's quarters in the zero-g part of the ship? That is actually a question that can be applied to many ships I think.

2) Doesn't the shuttle bay have kind of a strange shape and position? A rotating, one deck thick donut right beside the engines. There would never be enough space to put even one light shuttle in there and docking would be a very delicate manoeuvre.

3) For that matter, where are the engines? I would have guessed the should be at the rear of the central section because there is actually no good reason to have a corridor that long.

I think I'll have to modify it quite a bit because these details will bother me (and my players) quite a lot…
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a headache" Motto of the Psi Corps' Science Department
ShadowScout
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ShadowScout » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:36 pm

1) Why exactly are the bridge and especially the captain's quarters in the zero-g part of the ship?
Because a commanding officer needs to be close at hand at all times in case of an emergency. So if something dire happens that really NEEDS the captains word, he can get to the bridge in a matter of seconds rather than the minutes it might take him if he had a cabin in section A with the rest of the crew.
2) Doesn't the shuttle bay have kind of a strange shape and position? A rotating, one deck thick donut right beside the engines. There would never be enough space to put even one light shuttle in there and docking would be a very delicate manoeuvre.
Actually it's in a good place. Remember, that part of the rotating section is the "outer deck", so the shuttles can launch with help from the ships rotation, just like B5's Starfuries. Docking would require some kind of "corkscrew motion", true, but nothing an autopilot couldn't handle (especially consoidering that a liner will use it's shuttles only under ideal conditions - stationkeeping near its PoD or Destination-, unlike a warship).
3) For that matter, where are the engines? I would have guessed the should be at the rear of the central section because there is actually no good reason to have a corridor that long.
Exactly. See the "engineering section" at the end of the corridor? The thrusters of the main engines are just aft of that (duh!)

Modification however is a worthy goal! Go on, make up your own spaceliner! We have the Aasimov class from the show and the Princess class from "The Athena Strain" - who is to say that threre aren't a lot more liner versions floating around? Make up yours, get an nice graphics program (older versions are usually to be had for little money, and serve quite well for these purposes) and draw up prety deck plans. Hell, if you do a good job you could even submit it to Mongoose for publication in S&P!
ShadowScout
Roman A. Perner

"True understanding can be found only in the Shadow between light and dark..." - inscription on Z'ha'dum
Vortex
Mongoose

Postby Vortex » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 pm

ShadowScout wrote:
1) Why exactly are the bridge and especially the captain's quarters in the zero-g part of the ship?
Because a commanding officer needs to be close at hand at all times in case of an emergency. So if something dire happens that really NEEDS the captains word, he can get to the bridge in a matter of seconds rather than the minutes it might take him if he had a cabin in section A with the rest of the crew.
I'm not debating the fact that the captain is close to the bridge. Indeed that's necessary. What I can't explain is why all that isn't in the rotating section. The crew and the captain are actually those who most need gravity to avoid long term effect since they spend more time in space.
ShadowScout wrote:
Actually it's in a good place. Remember, that part of the rotating section is the "outer deck", so the shuttles can launch with help from the ships rotation, just like B5's Starfuries. Docking would require some kind of "corkscrew motion", true, but nothing an autopilot couldn't handle (especially consoidering that a liner will use it's shuttles only under ideal conditions - stationkeeping near its PoD or Destination-, unlike a warship).
I still find it a bit strange. There's a good reason why docking bays are always in the center... And I still say that no shuttle could fin inside a single floor.
ShadowScout wrote:
Exactly. See the "engineering section" at the end of the corridor? The thrusters of the main engines are just aft of that (duh!)
Indeed, I kinda missed the engineering section. I'm not sure how I managed that... But still, you have to admit, such a long corridor is a lot of wasted space.
ShadowScout wrote:Modification however is a worthy goal! Go on, make up your own spaceliner! We have the Aasimov class from the show and the Princess class from "The Athena Strain" - who is to say that threre aren't a lot more liner versions floating around? Make up yours, get an nice graphics program (older versions are usually to be had for little money, and serve quite well for these purposes) and draw up prety deck plans. Hell, if you do a good job you could even submit it to Mongoose for publication in S&P!
I certainly will go ahead and create my own. I don't think it will be publishable because it will mostly be a rework of the Princess. It'll probably be a lower class and loder variant. With more cargo space, less luxury and external docking instead of a shuttle bay. I'll try to post it here when I'm done.