Nicholas Fantom and the Golem of Brick Lane

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns

Nicholas Fantom and the Golem of Brick Lane

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:14 am

OK this is not quite Lone Wolf but the Fighting Fantasy guys are releasing a new series around the hero Nicholas Fantom beginning with "The Golem of Brick Lane". The system is reminscient of Lone Wolf and it even has a overarching plot with items usable in later books.

Plus all the art work is by Gary Chalk. It is written by John Sutherland who used to be the editor of White Dwarf and work for Games Workshop.

The book is excellent and really does a good job of building a story (much like Lone Wolf over Fighting Fantasy) with interesting NPCs, bad guys and twists.

The book is set in Victorian England and has liberal dashes of Holmes, Dickens and Cthulhu and a light splash of Steampunk.

The book is quite mature despite being for younger adults. It is gruesome at times and has a lot of real world trivia including Jewist Kabbalist cults and other secret societies.

Rock on it is good stuff.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 am

Sounds good - a Phillip Pulman-style adventure book.

Here's hoping it will spark a renaisance in the game book market and Lone Wolf will get reprinted!
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 am

Greg Smith wrote:Sounds good - a Phillip Pulman-style adventure book.

Here's hoping it will spark a renaisance in the game book market and Lone Wolf will get reprinted!
Kind of. It seems more Holmes, Dickens and Cthulhu to me as the fantasy is quite subtle.

Anyway, I have almost finished it and I must say the quality of the story development is on par with Lone Wolf if not a little more advanced. Then again it does 500 entries making it around a 3 hour read.
columbob
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby columbob » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Guest wrote:Then again it does 500 entries making it around a 3 hour read.
Depends on who's reading, of course. Different people read at different speeds.
Up the Irons!

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:26 pm

columbob wrote:
Guest wrote:Then again it does 500 entries making it around a 3 hour read.
Depends on who's reading, of course. Different people read at different speeds.
True but Lone Wolf started at 250 and worked its way to 400. 500 is a pretty hefty number for starting with in this business :)
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Nicholas Fantom and the Golem of Brick Lane

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Guest wrote:Nicholas Fantom
Who?
The Fighting Fantasy Guys
I trust you mean Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone (although I have an ominous feeling you just mean the company that did the reprints :().
Lone Wolf started at 250
Um nope. Every Lone Wolf book I have (1-9) has exactly 350 entries. I hear that a few later books might have been longer but none were shorter.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.
Ghost Bear
Stoat

Postby Ghost Bear » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Balgin Stondraeg wrote: Um nope. Every Lone Wolf book I have (1-9) has exactly 350 entries. I hear that a few later books might have been longer but none were shorter.
Um, nope.

You obviously don't have Book 5, as that was 400 sections long.

And Book 28 was only 300 sections long.

Aside from these two discrepancies, the Lone Wolf books all had 350 sections.

-GB
Balgin Stondraeg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Ghost Bear wrote:
Balgin Stondraeg wrote: Um nope. Every Lone Wolf book I have (1-9) has exactly 350 entries. I hear that a few later books might have been longer but none were shorter.
Um, nope.

You obviously don't have Book 5, as that was 400 sections long.

And Book 28 was only 300 sections long.

Aside from these two discrepancies, the Lone Wolf books all had 350 sections.

-GB
I swapped book 5 for book 2 years back on a temporary basis and lost touch with the guy so I haven't seen 5 in ages. Anyway, my point still stands that they didn't start at 250.
Balgin Stondraeg, proud member of Clan Stondraeg, son of Guthram, husband of Urwena, brother to Hengrek, Murnak and Dradan. Father of Cigfa. Miserable old fool to disrespectful friends.