A 1st level Thief can't CLIMB a tree?

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

A 1st level Thief can't CLIMB a tree?

Postby Supplement Four » Sun May 08, 2016 11:03 pm

The problem I have with the Climb skill--the way it is written--is that a number of checks are required to climb any distance.

You can climb at a default rate of one-fourth of your normal Speed. For an un-encumbered fellow,that's one climb check per 7.5 feet.

Let's say that you are a 1st level thief, with STR 15, wearing no armor, Climb skill is maxed out at +6 (4 skill points plus +2 STR), and you want to climb up a tree and have a look around, 30 feet up. That's a DC 15 climb. You'll need 4 climb checks.

On each check, you succeed on a roll of 9+. You make no progress on a result of 5+. And, you fall on a result of 4-.

YOU'VE GOT A 20% CHANCE TO FALL EACH CLIMB CHECK!!

THERE'S AN 80% CHANCE THAT YOU WILL FALL WHEN CLIMBING THE TREE!!

Now...I know from experience as a kid that that's just not true. And, I'm no experienced climbing thief!

A 1st level thief can't climb a tree?
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: A 1st level Thief can't CLIMB a tree?

Postby Supplement Four » Sun May 08, 2016 11:04 pm

The only answer that I can think of is that the thief must Take 10 when he climbs. If he does that, then he's up the DC 15 tree in four rounds. No problem. But, anything more difficult than the tree means that he's facing a huge chance of falling--which doesn't seem quite right.

If a pack of wolves is chasing the thief, and he tries to scamper up a tree, then he can't Take 10, and he's toast!

That doesn't seem a little like the rule is broken to you?
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: A 1st level Thief can't CLIMB a tree?

Postby Supplement Four » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 am

Forget this. I had it answered to my satisfaction in another forum.

Thanks!