Thurian Continent [Conan]:

Discuss Mongoose RPGs here, such as the OGL rulebooks, Jeremiah, Armageddon 2089 and Macho Women with Guns
Nialldubh
Cub

Thurian Continent [Conan]:

Postby Nialldubh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm

I cringed to tell this; but "I am Back!"

Just a Quick advertisement for:

The Thurian Continent: Conan D20 RPG Site

Nialldubh
Supplement Four
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Thurian Continent [Conan]:

Postby Supplement Four » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Not too many of us here, Nial. There's me, King, and the occasional lurker.

Welcome back!
Nialldubh
Cub

Postby Nialldubh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 am

Yeah, Conan D20 suffering; well good luck, keep doing the good work!

"I be Back!" :)
The King
Cosmic Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 am

Nialldubh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm
I cringed to tell this; but "I am Back!"

Just a Quick advertisement for:

The Thurian Continent: Conan D20 RPG Site

Nialldubh
Sorry I had overlooked your post. I know your website for sometimes. It is very interesting and quite complete. I've already borrowed many things from it, even though I am no fan of the d20 system.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Nialldubh
Cub

Postby Nialldubh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks King. :)

Good to know that people are there...

Yes, I agree, I do believe that I add stuff to my forum not just for D20 Conan, but to assist any in their Conan games; just by ideas and possibilities.

I do enjoy other game systems also, OD&D, RQ, and a few other obscure games.

Keep rolling! :)
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby The King » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 am

Nialldubh wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am
I do enjoy other game systems also, OD&D, RQ, and a few other obscure games.
Do you practice the Conan 2d20 system?
Nialldubh
Cub

Postby Nialldubh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm

No, I got the core book as hardback, as I gave money to their kickstarter, but the rest are PDFs also from KS, but I truly do not enjoy the system and feel; rather that it has been a wasted process, and I do feel the search for the best RPG system is still happening for the Hyborian Age.

I know the lot at Modphius are trying to keep it Conan canon, but this is impossible and they will add their own stuff and each Conan game will be different from each other. I also do not enjoy the unrealistic presence of the Red Sonja female hacking her way through Thuria, I bought the Conan novel to feel the vigour of the male spirit, not a fantasy. The Female rare warrioress should be like 0.00000001%, they got the image like 50/50%.

I try pondering a new system, taking what I enjoy from other game systems I have enjoyed through the years:

Mongoose D20.
Runequest.
OD&D and AD&D original or 3.5:
T&T:
Bushido:
And many more.

Hero with masses of hp kill game, but they should have many more than NPCs, I hate levels, I do not think it suits the Hyboria Age, it might suit AD&D 3.5, but not this. If Conan is 1st level by D20 rules, he may have 14 hps, but a 10th level laundresses from Thunder River has 45 hp, that is embarrassing and stupid, an old maid could slaughter a Youthful Conan that survived Venarium. In OD&D, they have Zero-level NPC for majority of NPC, this might be the best approach, it also allows for the hero savage assault through masses of foes in the S&S criteria, within reason; as 0-levels can be dangerous also if one is not careful!
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby The King » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Nialldubh wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Hero with masses of hp kill game, but they should have many more than NPCs, I hate levels, I do not think it suits the Hyboria Age, it might suit AD&D 3.5, but not this. If Conan is 1st level by D20 rules, he may have 14 hps, but a 10th level laundresses from Thunder River has 45 hp, that is embarrassing and stupid, an old maid could slaughter a Youthful Conan that survived Venarium. In OD&D, they have Zero-level NPC for majority of NPC, this might be the best approach, it also allows for the hero savage assault through masses of foes in the S&S criteria, within reason; as 0-levels can be dangerous also if one is not careful!
I don't like levels either, nor do I like classes. Globally one could even play Conan with the Warhammer rules (1st or 2nd edition) or with the D6 rules (e.g. Star Wars from WEG). All the thing you have to do if you want to have true heroes in your games is to add Fate/Luck points (or whatever they may be called). This prevents stupid deaths. But I still think the world should still a place be very dangerous to live in, else it is no fun and just hack 'n slash.
Nialldubh
Cub

Postby Nialldubh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Mulling over another Idea

That if Health/Life/Hit Points are based on Con.

Then, considering the notion of HP base on not just physical damage, but a weakening of the will to continue.

Try Luck Points: Based on Wis score and any bonus from Cha and Dex for example:

So, each Character as two scores:

Health Points and Luck Points; players can choose the score they want reduced, but with physical damage DR can reduce wound, where as with Luck Point, their is no reduction, but Player can state if he takes 10 damage, "7 from HP and 3 from LP!" Hence if he got 6DR (not considering AP: Armoured Piercing). He take 1 HP and 3 LP from that hit. A little more paper work, but not enough to lose sleep with.

Just a theory I thinking about!
The King
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby The King » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Your system reminds me of health and stamina points, where stamina loss represents minor injuries and health loss represents damages that are more important. I still think Luck points (or fate points or whatever they are called) should be use as a one-way solution, like when a blow should kill a PC outright but he is saved at the last moment, say, like when Valeria appears from the dead to save Conan from a fatal blow (in the first movie).