Minimum drive sizes for small craft

wbnc

Cosmic Mongoose
Okay just went through and was trying to rework some small craft as a test...Ran into a major stumbling point. T

the smallest drive allowed is now 2 tons, (vs 0.5 tons old version) Unless i missed an exception somewhere....

2 tons is 20% of their tonnage, which makes it a bit dicey to squeeze in any useful cargo,, hardware, etc.... the cockpit 1.5 tons, power plant 1 ton minimum, fuel 1 ton, and any usable space...the bare basics are 5.5 tons.

on top of that any 10 ton small craft is going to have a minimum thrust of ...well you cant figure it out a 20% tonnage slot isn't on the chart..

I only spotted this because I included a number of 10/20 ton auxiliary craft in my designs ..most of them are not going to work quite like I planned. A 10 ton work pod can now outrun a fighter, on the plus side it can now tow around a 200 ton ship...and a 100 ton ship at thrust 2....

I would suggest a change that allowed for small craft to ignore the minimum tonnage...for maneuver drives at least.

I noticed this issue back in the earlier drafts. A 20dT small craft can have a thrust of 1 -10G for the same sized drive.

The minimum size for maneouvre drives simply do not work.

madmike said:
I noticed this issue back in the earlier drafts. A 20dT small craft can have a thrust of 1 -10G for the same sized drive.

The minimum size for maneouvre drives simply do not work.

I missed that. Yup - I think the Minimum size needs to be either waived for smallcraft, or removed completely.

Back