Farewell Gary Gygax

Godspeed Gary. Gary passed away this morning. He was an inspiration to alot of us, and the Co-Creator of Dungeons and Dragons. His work inspired many others to create what we now call Roleplaying games.

I had the privilage of meeting him once, and he was very down to earth and an enjoyable man.

Man....sad news. As you said in the DMG - "Masterful dungeoning to you" Gary and thank you for your incredible creativity and life, for it changed mine. My first character Glom - a wizard - is still a treasured memory.

May God bless your family & friends in this time of sorrow.

Very sad really.

Without his contribution I would have had much more time on my hands in the past thirty years but lost the opportunity to make several strong and lifelong friends.

RIP Gary.

To borrow a phrase, "The Golden Age of D&D is 12."

Because of Mr. Gygax's unique invention I will always be 12, able to relive moments of my childhood when everything was possible and my sense of wonder knew no bounds.

Sounds odd to say- but as a 44 year old gamer who started with the 3 pamphlet box and the spiral copy of Chainmail rules nobody else has had such an impact on who I am today. Fantasy gaming and the friends Ive made (and my wonderful wife) through this pastime is the one constant Ive enjoyed most of my life, and will continue to cherish. And I know I'm only one of legion who feel that way. God Bless.

Jeffreywns said:
Sounds odd to say- but as a 44 year old gamer who started with the 3 pamphlet box and the spiral copy of Chainmail rules nobody else has had such an impact on who I am today. Fantasy gaming and the friends Ive made (and my wonderful wife) through this pastime is the one constant Ive enjoyed most of my life, and will continue to cherish. And I know I'm only one of legion who feel that way. God Bless.

Amen!!!

It is very odd how today, I got a call from my younger brother (I am 44 also BTW), and he wanted to know if I wanted my AD&D 1st edition books back. He did not know of Gary's passing till I told him.

There is no way in hell I was going to say NO. Those books meant a lot to me. ANd they still do.

Though I have played many many games, nothing ever really compared to the flair and style of AD&D. Nothing ever will compare.

AD&D was a big part of my childhood. And I am still a child in a lot of ways.

So, just to refresh you "Old" Gamers Memories, here is what is on the way.

The Rogues Gallery
Player's Handbook
Oriental Adventures
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Fiend Folio
Dungeoneer's Survival Guide
Dungeon Masters Screen
Dungeon Master's Guide
Unearthed Arcana
Wilderness Survival Guide
Manual of the Planes
Greyhawk Adventures

THANK YOU GARY for giving me something I will always cherish.

God Bless, God Speed, and one day, we will play together. I will play my all time favorite magic hating Barbarian.

I feel the best way to remember EGG is by introducing new people to the hobby, esp. through the rules that he authored in 1st Edition.
His early passing is unfortunate, but he gave to many people joy and the pleasure of imagination.

Koski said:
Jeffreywns said:

Amen!!!

It is very odd how today, I got a call from my younger brother (I am 44 also BTW), and he wanted to know if I wanted my AD&D 1st edition books back. He did not know of Gary's passing till I told him.

There is no way in hell I was going to say NO. Those books meant a lot to me. ANd they still do.

Though I have played many many games, nothing ever really compared to the flair and style of AD&D. Nothing ever will compare.

AD&D was a big part of my childhood. And I am still a child in a lot of ways.

So, just to refresh you "Old" Gamers Memories, here is what is on the way.

The Rogues Gallery
Player's Handbook
Oriental Adventures
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Fiend Folio
Dungeoneer's Survival Guide
Dungeon Masters Screen
Dungeon Master's Guide
Unearthed Arcana
Wilderness Survival Guide
Manual of the Planes
Greyhawk Adventures

THANK YOU GARY for giving me something I will always cherish.

God Bless, God Speed, and one day, we will play together. I will play my all time favorite magic hating Barbarian.
Nice treasure trove you have there!
My books see constant use; I never got into 3.x, so they have never been superceded by any other D&D version.

Back