Search found 41 matches

by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: Combat Styles
Replies: 82
Views: 12059

I can't disagree. I am trying to get to the bottom of the rules so that I can wing it with confidence and ease when I come to play. Yet one side of the debate (including the authors) is saying combat styles are intended to be broad (very, very broad in some cases), while the opposing point of view ...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: Combat Styles
Replies: 82
Views: 12059

The question is why noy use a shield. But why would a character select the combat style 'spear' instead of 'spear and shield'. There was no obvious advantage. Whoa, hang on here. Why not use a shield? I'd like to see a one armed person use both a sword and shield. That would be impressive. Sometime...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: Combat Styles
Replies: 82
Views: 12059

I agree 100%. But again that is counter to the rules. They classify both longsword and rapier as 'sword'. And so comes under the 'sword and shield' skill. Which is part of the simplification. It simply isn't contrary to the rules. You're interpreting the rules like they were source code. They're no...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Armour and Combat questions
Replies: 9
Views: 2091

Re: Armour and Combat questions

Strike Rank has been retained to allow fights to flow back and forth. You see the dynamics of this especially when Strike Ranks are penalised by armour. This allows less encumbered foes to strike quicker and more often during an exchange. An unarmoured Robin Hood is likely to attack twice and parry...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Combat Styles
Replies: 82
Views: 12059

One of the things I don't understand about the combat styles presently described: If as seems to be the case that the intention was to have a characters combat style representing his knowledge of weapons -why so many multiple ones: The examples suggested are things like Legionary, Samurai etc and O...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Combat Styles
Replies: 82
Views: 12059

"Why [choose] Spear instead of Spear and Shield? I understand that it may not be available in all cultures [...]" That's the answer. I think you're coming at it from a power-gaming perspective. RQII is less "power-gaming by design" than a lot of RPGs (esp D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Embrace the move away...
by ledpup
Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:32 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Armour and Combat questions
Replies: 9
Views: 2091

Re: Armour and Combat questions

Hi Dan, I'll have a go. 1) RQII has both strike rank and combat actions. They're different things. The purpose of combat actions is two-fold. Firstly, and most importantly, it provides a mechanism for ganging up. Secondly, it supports a way to cope with two weapons and weapon and shield. Combat acti...
by ledpup
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Enchanted Items
Replies: 23
Views: 5360

Re: Enchanted Items

For my purposes the way enchanted items work is just too D&D for the setting. So I have wracked my brains trying to figure out a way to do these differently. After much thought I arrived at the point where I stopped looking at the item as a bonus factor, or even something which delivers a typical g...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

Nevertheless, my argument isn't how slowly or quickly one advances numerically, it's an essential point about numerical advancement in-itself. Even a 1% increase starts the maths war. I see - but people like it. It feels good to advance your character. What's the difference between Joe the thug on ...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

Actually once your skill hits 101% you only get half of your INT added to the roll. For someone with an INT of 15, that's a 9% chance of getting 1d4+1 and a 91% chance of getting 1 so you're talking over 80 improvement rolls on average to reach 200. Then once over 200 you only 1/4 of your INT and s...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

You are also not taking in the severe penalty of advancing skills to where they mean trouble. If you advance your skill to more than 100 + INT, you will only gain 1 sp each time you spend an improvement roll. Most of the time, yes, but you have your INT as a percentage chance to get 1d4+1. Could be...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:26 pm
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

Re: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths

Hi Pete, others I changed the title. You're correct, there isn't an error and it's clearly a deliberate decision that most RPG designers have made. I'm not saying people don't get better by training, etc. I've made allowances for that. This isn't about modeling the real world either. If it were, I g...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:06 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

Well,that is the case when it comes to D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, Etc. Same to hit percentage,more or less at every level. But you do get more capable thanks to the Feats. In Runequest II, I don't see that problem,as characters do get better,and monsters stay the same. A goblin is still dangerous at any ...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths
Replies: 36
Views: 6095

RuneQuest II: Fixing the maths

Hi all I've been perturbed by how the maths - relating to Skills, Characteristics and Common Magic especially - has been applied in RuneQuest II. This isn't a solely a RuneQuest issue. It's a fairly pervasive issue, across almost all RPGs. However, I've written two blog entries. The first, discussin...
by ledpup
Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Arms & Equipment new edition?
Replies: 14
Views: 3197

Anyone know if the errata was ever merged into the PDF doc on RPG drive thru?
by ledpup
Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Character Creator Spreadsheet 2.0
Replies: 13
Views: 1904

It would be nice to have a section for Hero Points. Also, a drop-down for advanced characters (seasoned, veteran, etc) that sets the free skill points/HP. But really, I'm just being completist now.
by ledpup
Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: Character Creator Spreadsheet 2.0
Replies: 13
Views: 1904

This is great. I'm using it to quickly generate NPCs. There are a couple of base skill calcs missing, teaching and grimoire/manipulate, but that's not much of an issue. Very nice that it does the profession/culture.

Well done.
by ledpup
Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: My players guide to new players.
Replies: 28
Views: 3982

Have you played D&D, third edition?. It's a great game. Really good when it comes to character development. To play D&D you need a battle mat,dice and some counters to represent the players. Yeah, played a lot of 3rd edition. I did enjoy it, a lot more than my very brief time with 4th. RuneQuest is...
by ledpup
Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: My players guide to new players.
Replies: 28
Views: 3982

Also in my experience,people like games that have many professions and races. thats why all those suplements sell so well. Do they? I must admit that I hate those sorts of books, but I might not be typical. What I like are simple and fast rules that give me lots of ability to craft a tactical game ...
by ledpup
Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:10 am
Forum: Legend
Topic: My players guide to new players.
Replies: 28
Views: 3982

They went that direction with the feats,but took a wrong turn with 4th. Anyy way. I agree with you. Is what gives the character in runequest that feeling that,even if i can get better,I'm a man.Not a lvl 1 fool!. And to what purpose? All I can think of is that it enabled them to sell things like th...